My ideal riflescope... is it out there?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I think you just helped me nail down my next scope 😎
I don’t think you could go wrong with that set up! I would do it myself on any other rifle. This is just a compact little .260 mtn gun with a 20” bbl. a larger scope would just look and feel weird on it.

tdot

WKR
Aftermarket turrets from Kenton.

Didn't know about this option.

Does Kenton replace the entire turret? Are they repeatable? Or are they 100% based on the repeatability of the underlying turret?

If they are reliable. That would open up a whole world of 1" scopes. Models from Trijicon and Nikon both come to mind.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
The erector assembly is what makes a dial reliable. That’s the guts of the mechanism. The turret is just an exterior dial. Certainly not going to make a crap scope good!

Didn't know about this option.

Does Kenton replace the entire turret? Are they repeatable? Or are they 100% based on the repeatability of the underlying turret?

If they are reliable. That would open up a whole world of 1" scopes. Models from Trijicon and Nikon both come to mind.

They are just caps that you can put numbers on like leupold cds but more options.

Terrapin

WKR
I’ve never had a problem with the Leupold VX3i in 4.5-14 on lightweight hunting rifles. I don’t think the elevation dials are robust enough for doing tons of dialing, but my light hunting rifles don’t get adjusted 1000’s of times a year... I have other rifles and scopes for that. I am pretty happy with that scope in a 1” tube with the CDS dial, I just put another one on a 6.5 CM today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTbow

FNG
Tract toric? They claim it dials, I have used one but not tested the tracking.

eoperator

WKR
Schmidt Bender Summit 2.5-10x40
glass(wow)
1" tube
17oz
13"
2nd fp
regular capped turrets

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Schmidt Bender Summit 2.5-10x40
glass(wow)
1" tube
17oz
13"
2nd fp
regular capped turrets
Interesting. At that price, although discontinued now, it better be robust enough to dial. I wonder if there are aftermarket custom turrets available.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Tract toric? They claim it dials, I have used one but not tested the tracking.

heavier than ideal. And I’m a bit hesitant going with a new company that’s not time tested. Been burned on that before.

eoperator

WKR
Interesting. At that price, although discontinued now, it better be robust enough to dial. I wonder if there are aftermarket custom turrets available.

Not discontinued, but wow the price went up. I paid $1050 look at europtic

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I get it. 300 yards and less is no big deal, just some simple estimation, no math. Its that 350-600 yard range where estimating holdovers on an animal body gets tricky. I like that Vortex scope because it is a pretty simple matter to figure out the MOA values for shots of various distances and once you do that you can extend your range easily (and quickly, no dialing) without having to dial turrets or estimate inches visually.

Tend to agree with some of the above. Manufacturers need to offer a 1" tube scope about 12" in length. Have a dialable elevation turret w/ Zstop and weigh under 20oz at least. Hell go ahead and offer a 30mm version as well.
I wouldn't even care if it didn't have an adjustable parallax if that saves some weight.

I have the Vortex Razor LH and love it so far. I really like that reticle in it. Would love to see other scopes with a similar reticle. Some of these scopes just have too much shit in the way. Will be playing with dialing this spring to see how well it will work and hold up.
A 30mm model in this scope with zero stop would be awesome as well.