My ideal riflescope... is it out there?

Can you get a turret in just MOA or MILS?
Have a look at some options for brands. Not sure you'd need one in moa or mils as the scope should already be in one or the other. What the speed dial option does is convert your data to ranges on the turret itself...so when you range 400 yards you dial to the 4, when you range 525 yards you dial to between the 5 and the 5.5. That's why 'speed' is in the 'speed dial' name. It's incredibly fast and intuitive which is what works best for hunting. Range 375, dial to the 3.75 mark. The yardages are only marked on the 100 and 50 yard marks....yards 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450 etc. are on turret as 2 (or Zero) then 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5 etc. Most of us zero at 200 so that's our Zero and the numbering starts at 2.5 and goes up from there...the 50 yard markers are smaller, the 100 yard marks are big numbers...very quick and intuitive.

https://kentonindustries.com/pages/custom-turrets

It's the 'speed dial turrets' that I think most use from Kenton.

toehead

FNG
Bushnell or Primary Arms might have something that fits most of the needs. They both have scopes all of the price spectrum from low $ to high $$$.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I wish they made a 1" Accupoint in 4-12 ish. I'd like just a bit more mag than the 3-9, but don't need the additional weight and erector travel of a 30 mil.

Ralphie

WKR
what is the Available mounting length on the 3-9 accu point? So the length Of the 1” tube from the front of the ocular bell to the back of the objective bell.

we have a few scopes and manufacturers that seem to dance around all this, close but no cigar, and a bunch of us wanting very similar options

currently what's getting me closest to almost all the same goals is Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with a Kenton speed dial turret, they seem to have as good a rep as any for zero hold and tracking for anything under 1 lb, the 3-9 magnification range seems greater than leupolds 3-9, feels more like a 3.5-10 Leupold with lower bottom end and much better glass fyi, Leupold has always over rounded on it's mag ranges on the 1" tub standards we always loved, the glass is instantly noticeably better than the leupolds, very nice glass, all the adjustments seem a level above leupolds (magnification and turrets), lift and lock no tools required turret setting is nice above Leupold also, and that illuminated green dot reticle I won't give up now for hunting, the mil-dot option would work great if I wanted a non-dialling option for holds or even back up to dialling and likely not be too intrusive when on auto-pilot in hunting situation as that illuminated dot will take over, I went standard duplex so I wouldn't try to learn too many systems and completely focus on that illuminated dot as I know that illuminated dot will be the main focal point when shtf and it'll just be matter of on target referencing from there to close the deal should it go sideways, it's been very intuitive and fast when it all goes right too, a joy to hunt with

if they could make that scope with a cds style elevation turret and it could pass 50% level testing from Form on the impact/tracking or at least beat almost all the other sub 1 lb options, then it could be perfect ;) I'd ask for 1/3 moa per click elevation if I had any say in it....leave the windage at 1/4
Does this set up with the accupoint and the Kenton dial have a zero stop or locking feature?

Does this set up with the accupoint and the Kenton dial have a zero stop or locking feature?
no, spin the dust cap off, dial to your range, when you're done dial it back to zero and put the cap back on, it's a bit old school but usually when you're ranging you've got the time to spin a cap off before you dial so not a deal breaker for all the advantages I find in the scope, enough advantages after I set up and shot long then put to work hunting that as a long time diehard Leupold guy with cds locking turrets in the later years that I migrated over the Trijicons and spin the dust cap off when dial up is required

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Cost is not an issue. Does someone know of a scope that has:
1” tube
40-44 mm objective
3 or 4 to 12-14x max magnification
16-17 oz max
14” long max
Second focal plane
Quality glass with simple duplex reticle
Reliable RTZ and tracking, limited dialing to maybe 500-600 at most.

The Meopta Meopro 4.5-14 x44 is the closest I can find but it’s still a bit bigger and heavier than perfect. Please also spare me the “accept a few more ounces and get a 30mm Nightforce/SWFA/etc”. I’m well aware of the 30 mil options and it’s not what I want going on this particular rifle. Thanks.
Not exactly what you're asking for but my favorite scope for small, light, and reliable is the 2.5-10x42 NXS.

I wish they made a 1" Accupoint in 4-12 ish. I'd like just a bit more mag than the 3-9, but don't need the additional weight and erector travel of a 30 mil.
if it's any consolation I find the accupoint 3-9 far more like leupolds 3.5-10 on the top end with a lower bottom end. I was quite pleased with the 9x, I think Trijicon is more realistic if not conservative on it's mag range and Leupold (on the 1" stuff) has always been optimistic and rounded up on it's mag range

pick one up and try it out for a bit, it may win you over for some duties, hunting especially it did this for me and I was diehard 1" Leupold guy for life

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Not exactly what you're asking for but my favorite scope for small, light, and reliable is the 2.5-10x42 NXS.
Yes, well aware. I own a couple other NXS's scopes. Was just hoping for something even lighter and more streamlined. Basically a 1" scope that is rugged, light, and dialable a little bit (certainly not to 1000yards.) This is also going on a gun my kid shoots so I need a more simple reticle than the MOAR. Just a duplex is fine.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, well aware. I own a couple other NXS's scopes. Was just hoping for something even lighter and more streamlined. Basically a 1" scope that is rugged, light, and dialable a little bit (certainly not to 1000yards.) This is also going on a gun my kid shoots so I need a more simple reticle than the MOAR. Just a duplex is fine.
May as well start teaching him how to use a proper reticle at a young age. My son is now almost 16 but he started shooting all different types of scopes/reticles at a very early age and has killed a pile of animals since then.

It's impressive how automatic he is when a deer or antelope is in range. I tell him what to dial, what to hold for wind, and bang, dead animal.

prm

WKR
While I still feel the answer remains ‘no’, I have been playing with a Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 which seems to meet the general intent of your requirements, if not all the specifics. The main one being can you live with 9x vs. 12-14x.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
While I still feel the answer remains ‘no’, I have been playing with a Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 which seems to meet the general intent of your requirements, if not all the specifics. The main one being can you live with 9x vs. 12-14x.
Yes, similar to the Accupoint. I just would like a few more X mag for those slightly longer shots.

Reactions: prm
I need some advice regarding the Kenton custom turret. I’m looking at putting a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with green mil dot reticle on my Ruger M77 Mark II .30-06’. I plan to shoot factory loads, and I plan to figure out which factory load this rifle likes best. I know that, since this is a SFP scope, that the elevation holdovers on the mil dot reticle will be different at different mags. Am I correct in thinking that the custom turret eliminates this issue?
In other words, once I figure out the load that this rifle likes, then lasering the range and dialing accordingly using the custom turret basically removes this problem that SFP scopes present… such as the differing elevations using the mil dot reticle for holding over at different mags? Thanks

I need some advice regarding the Kenton custom turret. I’m looking at putting a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with green mil dot reticle on my Ruger M77 Mark II .30-06’. I plan to shoot factory loads, and I plan to figure out which factory load this rifle likes best. I know that, since this is a SFP scope, that the elevation holdovers on the mil dot reticle will be different at different mags. Am I correct in thinking that the custom turret eliminates this issue?
In other words, once I figure out the load that this rifle likes, then lasering the range and dialing accordingly using the custom turret basically removes this problem that SFP scopes present… such as the differing elevations using the mil dot reticle for holding over at different mags? Thanks
Also.. FYI I’ll be using this setup for western backcountry elk hunting. Thanks

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You are correct. The turret won’t care what magnification you are. It will adjust the same regardless