My impressions of Sitka Jetstream, Kuiu Axis Hybrid, Pnuma Waypoint and Condor Summit

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
They are running a decent sale on the nomad barrier…I grabbed one for $112. I’m interested to see how it compares.

What other pieces you have?

I still think is a great soft shell, I don’t want to call it waterproof but I was not able to force water to pass on the inside.

And air, once you get it blow air you be surprised how air tight this thing is.

I just wish it came in black.

Something I noticed recently due to the neck design if you have a poofy insulated hooded jacket under it feel tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
Well, I’ve been hunting for a softshell for a while and have a lot of them (plan on selling a few of them):

Black Label DeHaviland from Stone Glacier
Filson Reliance
Sitka Jetstream
Sitka Timberline
Kryptek Bora Vest

Recently purchased, but don’t have:

Pnuma Selkirk
Nomad Barrier

The SG seems to be the best active piece, but is very loud; I love the cut of the jacket for casual use. The Reliance is the most feature-filled and waterproof while still being breathable, but the material isn’t as sturdy. The reliance has a thick neck collar if you stow the hood, but you can layer under it pretty well. The Timberline is the lightest, but has no pitzips; great backpacking option for when sitting on a windy ridge. The Bora Vest is an awesome material, but it’s camo-only and very loud. If they made the Bora in solids, I’d own the jacket, I just think it’s got that sweet spot of breathability, windproof, and durable.

Last edited:
OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
You have a good selection.

Would like to read your opinion on the Nomad.
It feels similar to the Jetstream but at a much better price. It also have huge pockets.

I just wish the Nomad had a thicker backer but all this soft shell have thin fleece backer.

If the Pnuma fit you is a great jacket but the fit is weird narrow at the waist is super quiet I just wish it was in solid colors when I purchased one. I send it back.

Now I’m trying out mid layer puffy jackets, was thinking of getting a Peloton or Strongfleece but the Decathlon prices are to good to not give them a try.

jd1006

WKR
Nomad barrier isn’t the noisiest material, but it does make some noise. Very similar to the jet stream. The Pnuma Selkirk looks like it would be the ticket for late season archery. Quiet, heavier, waterproof and windproof. Another late season option to look at for archer is the Vellus series by Kryptek. That’s heavier, quiet material.

I haven’t seen any weather yet in the Nomad or Selkirk, but the fit is great on them. I think the Nomad (for $112) is a great deal, it feels well built. I agree with the Nomad being basically the Jetstream jacket for more than half the price.

The filson reliance is still the jacket to beat for backcountry backpackin—for the weight, it’s just so good. Replaces rain gear, quieter than rain gear, and breathes really well. It also packs down well for a soft shell.

What I personally was looking for in order of preference was 1. Quite 2. Wind proof 3. Water resistant 4. Warm. In my mind I had narrowed down to the Nomad Barrier or the Kuiu Axis. But I have no direct info of either. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I will also consider the Kryptek.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Nomad barrier isn’t the noisiest material, but it does make some noise. Very similar to the jet stream. The Pnuma Selkirk looks like it would be the ticket for late season archery. Quiet, heavier, waterproof and windproof. Another late season option to look at for archer is the Vellus series by Kryptek. That’s heavier, quiet material.

I haven’t seen any weather yet in the Nomad or Selkirk, but the fit is great on them. I think the Nomad (for $112) is a great deal, it feels well built. I agree with the Nomad being basically the Jetstream jacket for more than half the price.

The filson reliance is still the jacket to beat for backcountry backpackin—for the weight, it’s just so good. Replaces rain gear, quieter than rain gear, and breathes really well. It also packs down well for a soft shell.

Good you finally got the Nomad.

Also great to know I’m not the only one that came with that conclusion on the Jetstream comparo. The Nomad is really underrated. They just don’t market it as 100% windproof jacket but it should be.

I dint tried the Filson as it seemed thin and from what I remember someone says no micro fleece backer I could be wrong.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
What I personally was looking for in order of preference was 1. Quite 2. Wind proof 3. Water resistant 4. Warm. In my mind I had narrowed down to the Nomad Barrier or the Kuiu Axis. But I have no direct info of either. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I will also consider the Kryptek.

From my testing the Pnuma Selkirk was the winner on the noise category is pretty quiet.
I posted the measurements search my name.
I’m on the cell phone so is harder for me to find and post them here.
It runs small size up.

The Nomad fit more loose the Axis is a bit more athletic. Also due to the Nomad neck design it might feel tighter depending on your layers around the neck.

The Nomad have HUGE pockets if you like to carry lots of stuff.

The hand pockets on the Axis are a bit higher to clear a backpack belt, I personally don’t like the location I wish they were a bit lower.

As far as warm they should be pretty close. From memory the Nomad is less noisy.

It seem the nomad is not available on Amazon what a bummer. Easy returns if you don’t like it.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I’m gonna bump this. Insulation wise. Is the waypoint warmer than the selkirk? Maybe the same weight? Does anybody else have either and want to chime in? They seem like the quietest weather proof options without getting the Sitka stratus.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I’m gonna bump this. Insulation wise. Is the waypoint warmer than the selkirk? Maybe the same weight? Does anybody else have either and want to chime in? They seem like the quietest weather proof options without getting the Sitka stratus.
Just a heads up, that nomad jacket is on sale for $112. The code TURKEY30 takes it down to about $80. Nomad barrier nxt

bigbuckdj

WKR
Thanks for the help! For that price I couldn't resist and went ahead and bought one! Excited to see how it preforms compared to something like the Jetstream
Same, I picked one up too. If nothing else, the soft shell I wear to work has seen better days. This will work nicely for that.

STL

FNG
I pulled the trigger and got my jacket today. Skybuster’s review is spot on from initial impressions. It seems windproof and a great value at $80. Fit is pretty good but not great on me. I’m 5’10 190 and got an xl. It’s similar to an xl jet stream. Sleeves are slightly long, which I expected. Room in the sleeves is spot on for me as is the length of the jacket. It comes down a couple inches below my belt line and tapers down in the back, which I prefer. Neck room is good. There’s quite a bit of extra room in the torso though. I plan to layer underneath so it should work just fine for me.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I pulled the trigger and got my jacket today. Skybuster’s review is spot on from initial impressions. It seems windproof and a great value at $80. Fit is pretty good but not great on me. I’m 5’10 190 and got an xl. It’s similar to an xl jet stream. Sleeves are slightly long, which I expected. Room in the sleeves is spot on for me as is the length of the jacket. It comes down a couple inches below my belt line and tapers down in the back, which I prefer. Neck room is good. There’s quite a bit of extra room in the torso though. I plan to layer underneath so it should work just fine for me.
Same, I’m tickled with mine for $80

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG

Glad I was able to help.
Yep the jacket is a great choice price performance wise.
At least from initial impressions.
But I don’t see why it won’t handle great over time the material feels premium without the premium price.
I says is 100% windproof I was not able to blow air through it.
As I saw you mention that it seems windproof .
Also I was not able to get water to pass to the other side. But somehow they don’t market it as 100% wind and waterproof.

I forgot to add 5’9” 200lb.

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
How thick is the Nomad Barrier?

I've been rereading a bunch of Andy Kirkpatrick's and Mark Twight's writings, and I'm wanting to try their ideas a little more this winter. It is a little against conventional layering nowadays, but I just want to do: a NTS layer (Brynje ST), wicking baselayer (Sitka Core LW hoodie), and then the Nomad. If I get hot hiking, unzip the top and pit zips. And then, adopt more of a belay piece when stopping/glassing.

jd1006

WKR
The Nomad Barrier jacket has been put through the paces. I think its a great value and a jacket that I’ve used in a number of settings (whitetail, active cold weather). I haven’t had it out in heavier rain yet. It’s not going to be very packable for a multi-day trip on your back; but it will do everything else well. Nomad runs great sales and you can pick this thing up for 1/3 of a Jetstream and it’s basically the same jacket.