My Katadyn broke 😭

rodney482

WKR
My hiker pro let me down… blue intake nipple broke right off …. Katadyn never even responded back to my email 👎🏼👎🏼

What pump/filter are you using?

Maverick1

WKR
I use a Sawyer squeeze. Kind of an easy setup. Fill "dirty" bag in creek, connect to hose of water bladder, squeeze bag, replace bite valve on water bladder, good to go. Never need to remove water bladder from backpack, no more pumping, either. (Won't go back to pumping!)

Last edited:
My hiker pro let me down… blue intake nipple broke right off …. Katadyn never even responded back to my email 👎🏼👎🏼

What pump/filter are you using?
Ours broke after 2 days on a 12 day backcountry Alaskan hunt earlier this month. It was purchased at the end of last month. Catastrophic failure of the filter housing, cracked where the threads meet the body.

The Sawyer Squeeze saved our bacon.

*zap*

WKR
I like what I hear about the platapus gravity for the most part...for backup lifestraw has a filter that screws into a nalgene (wide or narrow mouth) fill the bottle and screw in/drink. I think that is an excellent emergency filter option if you take nalgene bottles. That filter also has chemical treatment, I believe.

Last edited:
I apparently let my last sawyer freeze so got a new one. Used it and the Platypus squeeze version on a 6 day hunt. Kept it in my pocket to make sure it never froze and it worked great. The platypus is definitely heavier...

This is my second year using the saywers and they're awesome. Only tough thing is if you're filling your bag from still water. I like to inflate the bag, toss it mouth down on the water, tilt slowly and let the water replace the air in the bag. Not perfect but better than waiting 5 minutes for the bag to fill from a small trickle somewhere.

z987k

WKR
I have no idea why you'd use anything where you have to pump anything or fill a certain bag into another or other nonsense when this exists. Gravity hasn't stopped working yet, so this is yet to let me down.

Spiegel

FNG
Only Katadyn I use is the Pocket, which is expensive but I've never had a problem with it . Otherwise never had problems with my MSR miniworks ex and I've nothing but good things to say about MSR customer service but YMMV...

CJinGA

FNG
I've used the Sawyer squeeze on solo trips in the past. Picked up a Katadyn gravity 10L for November's trip since there will be more of us.

IIRC, the Sawyer will fit onto the end of a 20oz (or similar sized/threaded mouth) bottle (I've used SmartWater bottles because they're the most durable).

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Another Sawyer Squeeze user here. I use a cnoc vecto bag with it, way more durable and easier to use than the bags it comes with, plus it’s 2 liters instead of 1

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I have no idea why you'd use anything where you have to pump anything or fill a certain bag into another or other nonsense when this exists. Gravity hasn't stopped working yet, so this is yet to let me down.

I bought one of those to use this year and loved it. Super easy to fill and use. Had a Sawyer mini and a small piece of bladder hose as a back up to put in-line in case the other filter went down.

TraskI

Lil-Rokslider
Same thing happened to me on day two of light use. Thankfully I had a steri pen and found water clean enough to us it!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk