My Kifaru Duplex/44mag vs Exo K3 4800 Review Thread

Outlaw99

WKR
I did contact them, they told me that they no longer do the smedium or marge in between sizes. I assume they quit doing it to cut down on lead times by standardizing sizes. I just happen to be the goldilocks of waist sizes apparently. Ill eventually figure out a way to modify it.

Thanks brtreedogs, I sent a PM to pods8 to see if I can get those belt pouches made.

Thanksgiving and Xmas are right around the corner; with a little hard work and dedication eating, you can have yourself in a solid large belt in no time lol.

GZeus24

Lil-Rokslider
A quick update on my comparisons of the EXO4800 vs the 44Mag as I was able to find some time today to resume my trials. At the start of today the EXO had become my favorite based on tests done with loads 30-40 lbs and distances around 2-3 miles. The shoulder pads fit better, the adjustability was easy and the construction was clean and lightweight.

Today I put in 60 lbs and took each of them out for 1.5 miles of street walking. The change in weight changed my view on things. At this weight, based on the the fit and feel of the loads on ME, the Kifaru won by a wide margin.

With the EXO I experienced gradual belt slippage resulting in the load resting on my muscles rather than gripping my lower back and hips. This led to a hot spot and some early stage numbness that had to be address by load shifting. I had none of that with the 44Mag. It locked on to my lower back and hips and stayed there, making a more upright posture much more comfortable to maintain.

I need to test more - specifically on trail and at greater distances with another bump in weight - but unless there is another dramatic change then the Duplex Lite frame is going to stay.

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
A quick update on my comparisons of the EXO4800 vs the 44Mag as I was able to find some time today to resume my trials. At the start of today the EXO had become my favorite based on tests done with loads 30-40 lbs and distances around 2-3 miles. The shoulder pads fit better, the adjustability was easy and the construction was clean and lightweight.

Today I put in 60 lbs and took each of them out for 1.5 miles of street walking. The change in weight changed my view on things. At this weight, based on the the fit and feel of the loads on ME, the Kifaru won by a wide margin.

With the EXO I experienced gradual belt slippage resulting in the load resting on my muscles rather than gripping my lower back and hips. This led to a hot spot and some early stage numbness that had to be address by load shifting. I had none of that with the 44Mag. It locked on to my lower back and hips and stayed there, making a more upright posture much more comfortable to maintain.

I need to test more - specifically on trail and at greater distances with another bump in weight - but unless there is another dramatic change then the Duplex Lite frame is going to stay.

What stays do you have? I'm on my 2nd set of stays in the kifaru frame, first curved, now flat (even though my back is more curved) in an attempt to get the back to stop slipping. My kifaru is now sold and I'm between the K3 spider frame and the SG Xcurve...curious what kifaru stay fit well while the K3 slipped

OP
TheBootBowhunting
I cant speak for gzeus, but I have semi flat stays - but I didnt notice slipping on either. Modularity and durability ended up being the deciding factor for me, along with just having a good bit of Kifaru stuff that Ive never had any issues with. Im not saying the K3 isnt durable though - but if you compare both bags and frames, youd be hard pressed not to believe the Kifaru will last longer. Its also about 1 1/2 pounds heavier. Give and take I guess.

GZeus24

Lil-Rokslider
What stays do you have? I'm on my 2nd set of stays in the kifaru frame, first curved, now flat (even though my back is more curved) in an attempt to get the back to stop slipping. My kifaru is now sold and I'm between the K3 spider frame and the SG Xcurve...curious what kifaru stay fit well while the K3 slipped
Mine has the default carbon fiber stays I think. I will check and confirm. I need to do a full wrap up post as I ended up bringing in a Kuiu as well to look at.

This was my experience as well with an older generation of Exo frame. This is also the reason I've been looking at different options for next hunting season. Thanks for the review/comparison.

Joshs74

FNG
I have a Kifaru 357 with a medium belt (36” waist). The pack fits awesome and the belt padding reaches around me perfect, but I’d love a few more inches of strap the grab onto while cinching the belt down. Once it’s cinched down, it’s fine, but starting out there isn’t much to grab, especially with gloves on.
I was gonna have a local guy add a tail piece to both sides using 1” strap from one of the lid kits I already have.

AD338

FNG
For what it's worth, I love these threads that give honest reviews on high quality gear. Obviously there's no one size fits all so it's great to see reviews that can be used to help others make decisions. Great content!

Thanks for sharing! I am currently looking at the 44 mag, Ma Duece or an EXO. I am totally new to the world of hunting backpacks and don't have the funds to go buy multiple packs so these threads are gold!

OP
TheBootBowhunting
@TheBootBowhunting great comparison and review. I have recently started looking into packs and was set on the 4800 but I see in your "other posts" you sold the k3 so now I'll be taking a better look at the 44mag.

Good luck on your hunts with it and thanks for the updates. Semper Fi!

You cant go wrong either way. It really can be boiled down to, are you counting ounces and/or want a well designed, durable, streamlined pack or do you want a ultra rugged pack with a nearly endless amount of modularity? Thats oversimplifying - but how you answer that probably gives you and indication of which of the 2 you probably should be looking at more closely.

I cant say anything bad about the Exo. Its just wasnt for me. I like pockets and options. The Kifaru feels somewhat familiar if you are prior military. I have done thru hikes, and section hikes up to a month long and while Ive been aware of weight and packing somewhat light, its never been a priority to go ultra light. So Ill take the modularity and weight penalty of the Kifaru any day of the week.

At this point Ive got a rack full of Kifaru gear - all of which I use and have zero complaints about. Its taken a good bit of OT to put together a Kifaru system that works for any hunt or hike I decide to do. I cant see every needing to replace any of it, so call it a buy once cry once situation. I did sell a 22 mag recently because I didnt feel the difference between the 22 and 44 mag really warranted keeping both. So I sold the 22 and grabbed a Doobie.

Good luck with whichever you choose, I dont really think you can get it wrong though. And if you do, resale is good on both brands so you can flip to the other.