My Kimber Montana Tinkering

Thegman

WKR
My current 308 Montana had FTFire issues as well. Wasn't frequent or predictable, but the last time it happened I had walked up and was balancing on a fallen birch tree to get a clear shot at a grizzly feeding on devil's club berries... Fortunately it didn't hear the "click" and the next round did fire. Kimber sent me a new firing pin and spring. Has never happened again in about 10 years.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The Wolff spring does not appear to have fixed the issue. I had a couple FTF. It was on a box of cheap factory ammo, but I think blaming the ammo is wishful thinking at this point, given the rifles history.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I'm annoyed with Kimber. I called to order a new firing pin spring, they quoted me $13.45 shipped, which is reasonable. However, once they found out I lived in Alaska they said it would be an additional $25 for shipping. That is flat ridiculous.

At that point I asked about if they would cover the shipping as it was having light strikes on the factory spring. They said no.

That spring can be put in a padded envelope and shipped USPS for less than 5 dollars. Probably for less that $2.

Last edited:

eamyrick

WKR
Trying to gather what you think the cause of the FTF are? To me it either worked or didn’t. Seems like the cause of light strikes is usually moisture or too much lube on the firing pin. Sucks they want a chunk for shipping.

@Marbles

They have a history of rifles with faulty springs. They used to replace them for free.
When I won an auction for a 2012 NIB old stock Montana, a couple of years ago, and it FTF, they sent me a new one, but charged me for parts and shipping. It totaled less than 15 bucks, which wasn't too bad. The point is, in the interest of good CS, you would think that they would make good on a known condition of their own doing.

The Wolff spring does not appear to have fixed the issue. I had a couple FTF. It was on a box of cheap factory ammo, but I think blaming the ammo is wishful thinking at this point, given the rifles history.
Have the rifle checked for correct headspace, if you haven’t already. My Adirondack had light primer strikes and ftf’s, even after the longer spring that Kimber sent to me was installed. After having the gun re barreled and chambered, I never had an issue again. Steve Hallenbeck, up in Fairbanks, could sort you out.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Trying to gather what you think the cause of the FTF are?
I suspect it is the spring, in part because Kimber has a history of the issue for that reason. I have checked firing pin protrusion, had this issue in warm weather, had the issue with dry bolt internals and with weapons grease on the internals, the Wolfe spring is a tight fit and rubs the bolt sides and I don't think it is made to the correct spec, it has the issue with a variety of ammunition to include premium brands, and cases do not show evidence of too much headspace.

@B_Reynolds_AK I have not had the headspace checked with a gauge, so even though I don't think that is the issue after cutting open brass, I cannot definitively say it is not.

The shipping is what irritated me. I was planning to just buy the spring and not even ask about getting it free.

I suspect it is the spring, in part because Kimber has a history of the issue for that reason. I have checked firing pin protrusion, had this issue in warm weather, had the issue with dry bolt internals and with weapons grease on the internals, the Wolfe spring is a tight fit and rubs the bolt sides and I don't think it is made to the correct spec, it has the issue with a variety of ammunition to include premium brands, and cases do not show evidence of too much headspace.

@B_Reynolds_AK I have not had the headspace checked with a gauge, so even though I don't think that is the issue after cutting open brass, I cannot definitively say it is not.

The shipping is what irritated me. I was planning to just buy the spring and not even ask about getting it free.
Before you chase the issue any further, that is exactly what I would do.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I ordered a NO-GO headspace gauge. So will have a definitive answer on that front soon.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Definitively not the headspace as it will not close on a NO-GO gauge with bolt internals removed.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
May have the solution to dealing with Kimber. Not as light, but not sure I really care. Suddenly the whole CRF thing doesn't matter if the rifle does not even reliably go boom.20230804_004436.jpg

The amusing thing is I almost bought a Tikka new for $400 back in 2010, but I figured a rifle that cheap had to be junk and got a used Remington 700, then a used Remington 7600, then a Sako 85, then a Kimber and now I finally got the damn Tikka at double the price.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If anyone is interested in this, I will sell it for $750 shipped. Will post it in the classifieds in a day or two.

Sold

Last edited: