My knee. What did I do

crumy

WKR
Ok this is strange but after walking about 5 miles in 10 inches of snow I could barely walk on it and lifting it to get in truck caused searing pain. So of course I didn't go to doctor. I got a brace from Walmart and wore it for 5 days. Now it feels ok, but every now and then it twinges and feels week with side to side motion on outside of knee. Anyone else had this happen? I didn't fall or tweak it somehow. Just walking in snow in mountains

MattB

WKR
Is it on the outside of the knee, and does it hurt on the downhill and not on flat/uphill? If so, It may be IT band syndrome. If not, go see a doctor.

Stid2677

WKR
I echo seeing a Dr, Last year my right knee started popping sometime, then last fall it swelled up real bad. Could not walk on it. Went to the Dr and had xrays and an MRI. The verdict was osteoarthritis, all the load bearing surface is worn off and it is bone on bone. 20 plus years of running has just plain worn it out. I'm waiting on a knee replacement now. The key here is I had an old injury when I was younger and did not seek care and that the Dr said was a contributing factor to my knee being as bad as it is now. Now I'm 50 and have a lot of miles on my old carcass.

So I hope your issue is simple over use, but you only have one body, take care of it.

Hope all is well.

A brace and anti-inflammatory meds have helped.

Steve

a3dhunter

WKR
Stand on one leg and lower yourself until the knee is almost at 90 degrees, does the knee feel weak and give out, or act likes it's going to give out?

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
It is on outside only sounds like it may be it IT band thing. I definitely plan on going to dr if doesn't clear up soon. I am hoping I just stressed something. Just seems strange. But at same time I I'd do a lot walking this year. Thanks or reply

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
Stand on one leg and lower yourself until the knee is almost at 90 degrees, does the knee feel weak and give out, or act likes it's going to give out?
Just tried that and I can do it. Do feel some strain but don't feel like it is going to fail

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like ITBS (though, I'm not a doctor). The first time I got it, I had to avoid exercise for a month before it healed up. It flares up every now and then when I get lazy on my stretching. Now I can recognize the feeling early enough to stop before it get's bad.

There are a lot of good videos on runnersworld.com that talk about prevention and treatment of ITBS. I find using a foam roller on my legs before stretching makes a huge difference. There are several stretches that I do which really help but are not on the list of most popular stretches. I'll see if I can find a couple videos to post.

Edit: Here is a link that talks about it. If you scroll down there are 4 videos on preventing and 4 videos on treatment.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/itbs-iliotibial-band-syndrome

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is on outside only sounds like it may be it IT band thing. I definitely plan on going to dr if doesn't clear up soon. I am hoping I just stressed something. Just seems strange. But at same time I I'd do a lot walking this year. Thanks or reply

Call me

720-937-1418

bbrown

WKR
I would be curious to hear about this too - I had almost the same exact pain during my 3rd rifle hunt. Tried the Walmart brace as well and took it a bit easy (until I had to pack out my deer) and it feels pretty good now although I could feel a bit of the same pain during my 4th rifle cow hunt but not nearly as bad.

ssliger

WKR
Be careful using knee braces, sometimes it can mask the discomfort and put added pressure on your other joints. I have had 3 knee surgeries and an ankle reconstruction surgery. The best thing to do is elevate and alternate between heat and ice, do this for a couple of weeks. My last surgery was micro fracture surgery of the right knee. I have had 2 more injuries since the surgery and my knee swells up like crazy. One time it was at work so I went to the dr and had mri's and X-rays done, dr basically told me with all the scar tissue in my knee this is what I will be dealing with until I get a total replacement in probably 10 years. I'm only 35.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
In talking reading this, talking to a friend who is a physical therapist and doing some Internet doctoring.... I either have leprosy or it is an IT Band issue. Spent some time with a friend who has the same thing going on and he gave me some stretches. Similar to the ones in videos... All I can say is... they suck.....But it is good for me... I got lazy after season was over and put on 5 of the 30 lbs I lost.. so I have to get back into this and this is motivation enough. Hopefully by the time scouting season is here, I will have this thing under control.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ditto on the sentiments noted by others. If it does not go away soon after the standard ice and rest have it checked out by an Ortho. Our knees are our wheels if they go flat we don't go in the mountains. Protect them at all cost and stretching becomes more vital as we get older. Good luck on the recovery.

If it's ITBS one of the best things you can do for prevention is to get a foam roller and roll that sucker out, after it heals that is. Lay one the side of your leg, out side part, and slowly roll the area between your knee and hip. After a few passes you will find the areas that are tight. And yes this will not feel good at all. But once you can loosen this up you will notice a difference. The stretches that are out there on the web will help to keep you loose too.

If you can find someone who specializes in Sports Massage have them rub out your IT band. Most of the time the masseuse can give you some good feed back in regards to if you are tight in this area. Once again this is going to hurt, a lot.