My knife builds

OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
So this is another version of the knife I made last year. I wanted to see what I could do with the profile.

I bought a set of Chinesium handle scale material that is supposed to glow in the dark, so thought it might make a a handy knife for breaking down animals if you are taking a shot on twilight, or spotlighting, thermalling, whatever. It turned out okay, but its not nearly as visible in the dark as I had expected. The photo below is deceiving as it makes the handles look very visible, but to the naked eye it doesnt look anywhere near as visible..

Anyhow, the blade is NitroV with a full flat grind and tapered tang. The handles have a .5mm black G10 liner and Loveless bolts.

IMG-5376.jpg

IMG-5380.jpg

IMG-5382.jpg

IMG-5384.jpg

IMG-5374.jpg

OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Another variation on a knife I have made a few times now. I am going to have to come up with a name because I think I will be making a few more soon.

Second time working with VG10 Damascus steel. The layers are slightly off centre which is a bit of a pain. Luckily it has enough core steel to sharpen up with a good edge. Last time I etched Damascus, I left it a bit too long and it etched pretty deep. This time I etched it for much shorter periods. Its probably a little under done this time. I will maybe split the difference next time. The blade is a full flat grind with a tapered tang. Handle is African ebony with thin red G10 liners, mosaic pins and a hand rubbed oil finish.

IMG-5546.jpg

IMG-5541.jpg

IMG-5550.jpg

IMG-5555.jpg

OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Another version of my small bowie. Its intended to be a good general duty knife - good for carcass breakdown, but still get you through general chores, basic bush crafting, etc. One knife to carry in the pack and do it all, or most anyway.

The blade is 3mm NitroV steel with a full flat grind. The tang is tapered and the handle is gidgee with 1mm G10 red liners, brass Loveless bolts and brass lanyard tube & a 10 coat hand rubbed oil finish.

IMG-5689.jpg

IMG-5694.jpg

IMG-5698.jpg

IMG-5703.jpg

OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
So after making my last attempt at a night visible knife, I was asked by someone to make the same knife for them. I wasn't entirely happy with the last handle material, so did some some more searching online and found what seemed like a good alternative and ordered a set to try.

This new handle material has decent luminosity - the best I have found so far. I would rate it similar to good luminosity on a watch. The material is a little softer than I would like. Its fine for use on a knife, but I have to watch it when I grind the shape on the handle as the belt rips material off quicker than I am used to.

The blade is 3mm NitroV with a tapered tang and a distal taper to a pretty sharp point. The handle is luminous Chinesium with an orange G10 liner and Loveless bolts. I was also asked to make a Kydex belt sheath, so did it in orange in keeping with the high viz theme. It was only at the last minute while I was taking photos that I realised I got a bit ahead of myself at glue-up of the handles and forgot to engrave my logo on the blade. I will get a friend to laser etch my mark because I dont like to electro etch the blade once the handles are on.

IMG-5780.jpg

IMG-5785.jpg

IMG-5792.jpg

IMG-5794.jpg

IMG-5778.jpg

IMG-5807.jpg

IMG-5801.jpg

Very happy with the edge on this one. Should be a great user knife for the hunter its going to.

OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I had another go at making a boner pattern. The steel on this one is 2.5mm NitroV. I bought a radius platen that replicates a 72" wheel, so this has a very subtle hollow grind. It actually looks like a flat grind, but I am hoping the minimal radius gives it an extra sharp edge while still keeping the edge fairly strong. The edge seems to have come up fairly sharp, so hopefully its very slicey on game. The handle is black micarta with a thick orange G10 liner and orange G10 pins.

IMG-5817.jpg

IMG-5820.jpg

IMG-5829.jpg

IMG-5832.jpg

OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to do this bushcrafter as a scandi grind this time around, but I find them very hard to freehand grind. I screwed it up by taking the grind down too far, so took it to a high saber grind instead. It also the first of this pattern bushcrafter that I have done that doesnt have a wood handle. As much as I like wood, I wanted to see how it would come up with synthetic handles this time. I also go a bit ahead of my self at glue up and forgot to etch my makers mark. I will get it lazered on by a friend as I dont like etching a finished knife.

The blade is 4mm N690 steel, with a tapered tang. Handle is camo G10 with a tin white liner and an orange liner, with brass Corby bolts and brass layard tube.

IMG-6004.jpg

IMG-6011-1.jpg

IMG-6016.jpg

IMG-6025.jpg

OP
R

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
This one is 3mm NitroV steel, with a full flat grind and a tapered tang. Handles are an Australian native timber called Spotted Gum, with red G10 liners, brass Loveless bolts & brass lanyard tube. The pattern of this knife draws very heavily from the Bark River Gunny Hunter.

I had some Auctioneers Promise red oil and gun stock oil sitting here and have been thinking about trying it on a knife handle for a while. I had been a bit nervous about the red oil in particular as I didnt want it to dominate the colour of the handle timber by darkening it too much. I was initially a bit underwhelmed with the spotted gum after I hand sanded it, as it just looked like a very plain piece of light wood. I hit it with one coat of red oil and it was amazing how it brought the figure out in the wood. I stopped after a second coat of red oil, then gave it 14 coats of the gun stock oil and think it came up great.

IMG-6159.jpg

IMG-6165.jpg

IMG-6169.jpg

IMG-6176.jpg