My Largest Ever and First Buck in Wisco

OP
AlwaysForward19d
The euro process was interesting; I used a light boil with straight water for 2 hours at time, and it took 3 soaks with removing additional material after each bath. Finished with a hydrogen peroxide soak for 48 hours. Even managed to get my wife in on the fun...

276936E8-7EEF-4555-9EAC-59E064C4C2BC.jpeg9DCE57E0-0312-4B18-8E28-0AD798B0BB58.jpeg

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a great buck! Being a fellow Wisconsinite, that’s a rare find. Solid 4 1/2, wouldn’t shock me if he was in his fifth year either. Do yourself a favor and boil his lower jaw bone and write 2020 on it with a sharpie. Throw it in a drawer, then do the same with all the other older bucks you shoot. You’ll be able to age like an expert in several years just by comparing what you have and a little web searching on basic aging of deer.

OP
AlwaysForward19d
That’s a great buck! Being a fellow Wisconsinite, that’s a rare find. Solid 4 1/2, wouldn’t shock me if he was in his fifth year either. Do yourself a favor and boil his lower jaw bone and write 2020 on it with a sharpie. Throw it in a drawer, then do the same with all the other older bucks you shoot. You’ll be able to age like an expert in several years just by comparing what you have and a little web searching on basic aging of deer.
Thank you! I’ve grown up hunting all over upper and lower Michigan so well versed in feeling fortunate to have found an old guy like this. Its been an odd adjustment as how to Wisconsin does things, even from a midwestern point of view. I appreciate the tip on the jaw bone, as I had already boiled it but was unsure as to whats its final purpose would be....

Buck197

WKR
Its a pretty solid feeling putting your first one down on your own place. Thats a good buck. Im probably a hair more liberal as I was putting him about 135. Great job sir, looks like your wifes having the time of her life.

OP
AlwaysForward19d
That's a great idea! Thanks for passing that along!

After moving from northern Colorado to northern Wisconsin (originally from the UP) last year, I was able to harvest my largest whitetail to date this fall. I’ll fully acknowledge its not the brusier some of you post but after hunting nothing but public land out west for elk and mulies the past decade, its refreshing to get back to my roots and connect on a mature buck like this and proud to have taken him on land I actually own. Finished off the experience by doing the euro mount myself for the first time...

That all said, and having never got a buck of this size, whats your best bet for age/score?

View attachment 245102View attachment 245103View attachment 245106View attachment 245107
Darn nice buck. I love the euro look. Congrats!!
After moving from northern Colorado to northern Wisconsin (originally from the UP) last year, I was able to harvest my largest whitetail to date this fall. I’ll fully acknowledge its not the brusier some of you post but after hunting nothing but public land out west for elk and mulies the past decade, its refreshing to get back to my roots and connect on a mature buck like this and proud to have taken him on land I actually own. Finished off the experience by doing the euro mount myself for the first time...

That all said, and having never got a buck of this size, whats your best bet for age/score?

View attachment 245102View attachment 245103View attachment 245106View attachment 245107
Nice buck. Love the euro look. Congrats to you.

WIcowGuy

FNG
Thats a stud buck, congrats! Especially knowing thats a northern Wisco buck, that can be some darn tough hunting up there. I'm with the rest of these guys, around 130". Here's hoping that's the first of many bucks for you on your land

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Love seeing the Wisconsin bucks. I took my first coues buck down here in Arizona this year but nothing quite measures up to the Wisconsin whitetail hardwoods and swamps I grew up hunting. Doing everything I can to get back and get a little piece of land myself.

With 18” spread, figure around 120” max.
dont get caught up in scores though, 8 pt bucks are hrs to get good scores unless they are massive.
very nice buck and def something to be proud of!!