My Lowa Tibet GTX boots make me sad.......

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots in August before my elk hunt. The only reason I bought them was that I found a site that had them on sale with free shipping. I was very aware the were not broken in before the hunt. So during the hunt I would wear them a day or two and then put on my Saloman 4D GTX. The entire hunt the Lowa's hurt my feet. Again, I figured they were not properly broken in. I have been wearing them on and off since then when I need an non-insulated boot. The still hurt my feet. The last time I went wore them I went on a 2-3 mile hike with no pack and my feet hurt. I always wanted a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots but I am bummed they hurt my feet.

Here is where I need advise.

Will they ever stop hurting my feet?

Should I sell them?

Does anyone have another suggestion on a boot that is non-insulated, waterproof, with a full rubber rand? Maybe something not as stiff.

Thanks!

bonepoint

FNG
Last year I decided between the Lowa Tibet Hi and the Zamberlan 980. Both boots were a bit more narrow than comparable brands (Kennetrek, etc.), and fit my foot better. I could have went with either boot, but ended up going with the Zamberlan. I do recall the Lowa being a bit stiffer than the Zamberlan. I don't know what the Lowa has for a stock insole, but I would start by trying an after-market insole.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I decided between the Lowa Tibet Hi and the Zamberlan 980. Both boots were a bit more narrow than comparable brands (Kennetrek, etc.), and fit my foot better. I could have went with either boot, but ended up going with the Zamberlan. I do recall the Lowa being a bit stiffer than the Zamberlan. I don't know what the Lowa has for a stock insole, but I would start by trying an after-market insole.

I might try that. Because I have a wide foot and the Lowa fits me well.

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
I had the exact same issue with my Lowa Tibet GTX. I avoided wearing them for 3 years until my Danner's blew up day 2 of the hunting season. I was forced to wear my Lowa's in +25C heat and I wore wool socks. After a week of spot and stalk hunting, the heat and sweat molded the boots to my feet.

Now they are the best and most comfortable boots I've ever had.

kipper09

WKR
It may sting but I run Lathrop and sons synergy footbeds in mine. They aren’t cheap but they sure helped me with my Tibet’s. I always have them fit and trim them for me. Seems like they are $115 trimmed and shipped. Just had a pair made for some hanwag Alaska’s. I really like the insole. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
Where do your feet hurt? A buddy and me have put a lot of miles on our Tibets, and had some little tweaks that helped us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the suggestions about replacing the insoles. I am going to do some research and go that route.

4ester, the entire bottom of my foot hurts. Usually when I have boot issues hurting my feet it is small individual spots. But in this situation it's my entire foot.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
About 10 years ago I bought a pair of Lowa Tibets. The only thing I didn't like was the inside height of the toe box seemed very shallow and was always putting pressure on my toes. I tried every lacing technique I could find and nothing worked, so I sold them. Haven't had that issue with any other boots I've ever worn. My Lowa's didn't make me sad, they just weren't right for me. But every time I put on my Zamberlan Dakota's they put a smile on my face. Like a perfect fitting broken in baseball mitt.

I purchased a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots in August before my elk hunt. The only reason I bought them was that I found a site that had them on sale with free shipping. I was very aware the were not broken in before the hunt. So during the hunt I would wear them a day or two and then put on my Saloman 4D GTX. The entire hunt the Lowa's hurt my feet. Again, I figured they were not properly broken in. I have been wearing them on and off since then when I need an non-insulated boot. The still hurt my feet. The last time I went wore them I went on a 2-3 mile hike with no pack and my feet hurt. I always wanted a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots but I am bummed they hurt my feet.

Here is where I need advise.

Will they ever stop hurting my feet?

Should I sell them?

Does anyone have another suggestion on a boot that is non-insulated, waterproof, with a full rubber rand? Maybe something not as stiff.

Thanks!
Mine hurt my feet the first year,the second year I wore something else.The third year (last season) I wore the Lowa s and feel great.
experiment with different insoles.In the past I always needed aftermarket insoles .This last season I put the stock insoles back in and that is what worked

I might try that. Because I have a wide foot and the Lowa fits me well.

If you have wide feet, how are you wearing the Saloman's comfortably?! Those are super-narrow....

I have very flat and wide feet and agree, Lowa has good options for wide feet. I wear 10.5 in most, but have to go size 11 wide with Lowa and my Renegades have been great. Running my superfeet green, they are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn (for my feet).

I had the Tibet's a while ago, but they were a 10.5 and my pinky toe pressed too much inside of the toe box.

Mike 338

WKR
I wouldn't assume your $30 pair of socks are working for you. Fabric blends do make a difference. I have a couple pair of expensive socks that start out fine but the material compresses and my feet hurt by the end of the day. Try just a pair of plain white cotton crew socks for a day or two and see what happens.

Not that cotton socks are what you should be wearing but I've noticed different sock fabric socks offer different shifting within the boot. If you foot doesn't get the right grip in the boot, your foot, toes, etc... want to grab. It's almost unconscious but at the end of the day, your feet are worn out from trying to hold on. I'd also experiment with different lacing patterns and lace-tightness before giving up on the boots. I've had some pretty high end boots that has some real problems maintaining consistent tightness on my foot after I got going in them. I think Tibets have a lace-lock system but I had to ask the shoe salesman how they worked. Probably the best lacing system on the market if you use it right.

Another thing is the insole. The insole (or sock to insole interface) may be "slick" and your foot may be moving around and trying to grab for stability. Also, where your arch hits on the insole is a pretty big deal. You can go to the store and try what size you think you should be wearing and then try a size up and a size down. Don't put them in the shoes/boots. Just flop 'em on the floor and stand on them. With your heel nested in the heel-cup, one will lay into your arch just right. Toe-length doesn't matter as much cause you can trim them with a scissors. Also people think that "lots" of arch support is good. Wrong! Correct arch support is good. To much arch will kill your feet in the steeps by the end of the day. I've found the the lowest arch that gives you enough support works best in my boots. In my case, it's plain old "medium". Stay away from "squishy" insoles.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input!! After reading everything I think I am going to try some different insoles and experiment with the boot.

I appreciate all the help!!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I’ve owned and worn over 10 pairs of lowas, my GTX’s last the longest because I only wear them for two weeks during late season hunts when there’s snow. I don’t have the issues you’re having. I do use superfeet insoles.

Lowa tibets are my favorite boot ever. They fit my feet like a glove. With that said..boots don’t all work for everyone’s feet. Boots are very personal.

For my feet Lowas fit really well. The only thing that makes me sad about Tibets is that the rubber rand always starts to separate from the boot a little. I wish the rand was differnt (stayed one there.). But other than that I love the tibets

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Again thank you all for the input.

I am guna try a new pair of insoles some of you suggested in the boots and see how it turns out.

Again thank you all for the input.

I am guna try a new pair of insoles some of you suggested in the boots and see how it turns out.

Please report back on how it goes, as well as which brand and fit (e.g. high, neutral, or low arch) of insoles you selected. I'd be curious to know if there is a change for you right off, although I've read that some insoles themselves have a short break-in period.