My meat aging adventure

So after reading a few of threads in here I decided to try and age some meat.

I had a freezer/fridge side by side that I have decided to covert into a meat locker.
20201219_113327.jpg I ended up cuttinh out a big center piece and installed some u bolts through the roof for a hanger system.
20201219_114801.jpg
After a little research and suggestions I settled on a ink bird ITC 608T to regulate both the temp and the humidity. It's done really well at keeping the temp right at 35° but I have been having issues with my humidity spiking above 80..
I have a front and hind quarter from my buck and all four quarters from a doe in there currently. They went in fully frozen 10 days ago and I am a little surprised by the lack of blood flow. However, it is starting to get little specks of white mold. 20201228_132947.jpg
I swapped out the paper towels today as the one on the left is getting pretty full.

Last edited:

Michael54

WKR
Pe
Just curious, why leave the hide on?
People say it allows less air to get to the surface of the meat. So it stops the discoloration and trimming off of meat that went bad during the aging process. I personally skin mine out

OP
HuntInWild88
Just curious, why leave the hide on?
Honestly I plans to skin them out once they thawed. But wife tested positive for covid so I was busy last week taking care of her.
I'm not sure if it's too late to skin them out or if I should just leave them.

I always try to skin it right away, I just heard that if you skin it right away, then the meat will be much softer in the future and will not be weathered

Joshk358

FNG
How'd it turn out? I turned an extra garage fridge into my meat locker this year. Aged a whitetail buck for 7 days in it. Meat is perfect and tender.

OP
HuntInWild88
Does aging even work with the hide on??! I’ve never seen such a thing.
Yeah it absolutely worked.. I aged the meat for right around 30 days. But like Robby said it didn't change the amount needed to trim. The exposed areas had a good crust and the areas below the hide had a slightly odd tent to it so I trimmed it off too. All of the meat was amazing! The first steak definitely had a different taste then I'm used to so I wasn't sure what to think. But I love the taste a d wish I would have stated aging my meat along time ago..