My new Tikka shoots horribly..........

Wapiti1

WKR
Yesterday evening I get a call from a friend.
Buddy: Hey, I got this Tikka Superlight in 6.5 Creedmoor and took it out on Saturday. I can't get it sighted in.
Me: What do you mean you can't get it sighted in? Like large groups, or like you can't hit the target?
Buddy: Sometimes I hit the target, sometimes no.
Me: Which scope did you put on it and what did you use for rings?
Buddy: Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 and I used Talley rings.
Me: Have you taken it apart and checked the screws, etc?
Buddy: Yep, did that at the range, and put another scope on from my 7mm Mag. Still couldn't hit the target.
Me: How far were you shooting?
Buddy: 50 yards.
Me: Seriously? And not hitting the paper?
Buddy: Yep.
Me: Bring it over, let's check it out.

About 30 minutes later.....

We tear it down again, clean the threads, torque the screws, align the scope and run it through a quick tracking check on a wall chart. Nothing looks odd. Pull it out of the stock, no issues there, put it back together, torque the screws. Check for binding anywhere. Look at the bore, it's clean and shiny.

Me: Did you bring any ammo? Let's shoot a few rounds and see.
Buddy: Yep, here you go.

He hands me two boxes of Hornady factory loaded 6mm Creedmoor 105gr.....................

Me while staring at the ammo boxes: What cartridge is this rifle chambered in?
Buddy: It's a 6........point 5...........................Awe shit.

Jeremy

16Bore

WKR
Another humbling experience, brought to you by Tikka...

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
So how’s it shoot with the correct ammo 😂

He'll find out this weekend if he can find ammo for it. I suspect it will shoot just fine. There is no wear in that barrel.

You can't chamber a 6.5 in a 6.0 which shows the ammo designers were thinking. At least there is no safety issue to worry about. I asked him if he still had the target and if the bullet impact were round or oblong. They had to be tumbling.

We had a good laugh and he was happy his scope is still good.

Jeremy

DIY Lifer

FNG
Good thing he is ok. I actually had my wife hand me wrong ammo for her to shoot one time at the store to buy for my uncles 6.5 and I nicely old her that there was a difference in the two.

OXN939

WKR
You can't chamber a 6.5 in a 6.0 which shows the ammo designers were thinking. At least there is no safety issue to worry about.

Gotta be careful, though, as this isn't the case across the board. If you try to shoot 9mm Makarov in a firearm chambered for 9mm Parabellum, you will likely create a small pipe bomb. There are a few other caliber combinations out there that are similar.

I had a friend shoot a 9mm in a 40cal Glock once. It sounded weird and I don’t think it cycled right. But the pistol shot fine afterward.

Any damage to the rifle from that? Bouncing a bullet down the tube for that long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
Gotta be careful, though, as this isn't the case across the board. If you try to shoot 9mm Makarov in a firearm chambered for 9mm Parabellum, you will likely create a small pipe bomb. There are a few other caliber combinations out there that are similar.

Absolutely. In this instance there isn't an issue. In others, bad things can happen. You can chamber .250 Savage in a .243, and any short action cartridge will fit into any long action chamber.

I've seen weird looking .300 Win Mag before and found out the guy was shooting it in a .300 Weatherby. Not dangerous, but it had to shoot like hell.

There are definately bad combos. It's been tested by more than a few, and thankfully, lead core bullets tend to swag to the bore size and nothing blows. All copper will be a bad day.

Jeremy

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
I had a friend shoot a 9mm in a 40cal Glock once. It sounded weird and I don’t think it cycled right. But the pistol shot fine afterward.

Any damage to the rifle from that? Bouncing a bullet down the tube for that long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it doesn't hurt anything. The bullet likely doesn't even touch the barrel on the way down.

Jeremy

Ratbeetle

WKR
Was at a range once and a guy was getting all bent out of shape because he couldn't get rounds in the chamber of his rifle. He was beating on this rifle like it owed him money.

Guy next to me went over to check out the situation and I overheard the conversation.

"What's the problem?"

"Thing won't chamber."

"Hmm, what are you shooting?"

"It's a 7mm." Hands a cartridge over.

"Can I look at your rifle?"

"Sure." Hands over rifle.

"Umm, well this is a 7mm08."

"Yeah, like I said it's a 7mm."

"Those shells are 7mm mag."

"Yeah, 7mm."

Silence....guy turns around and goes back to his bench.

Sled

WKR
He hands me two boxes of Hornady factory loaded 6mm Creedmoor 105gr.....................

Me while staring at the ammo boxes: What cartridge is this rifle chambered in?
Buddy: It's a 6........point 5...........................Awe shit.

like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. apparently about as accurate too.

22lr

WKR
Then there are hours you will spend trying to convince your buddy that you can shoot 5.56 and 223 in a 223 Wylde chambered rifle.

"Nobody sells .223 Wylde, I don't know man I went to like 5 different gun shops"

If they dont believe you, you have a moral and ethical decision to make, do you:

1: Tell you buddy to just consult the Googles
2: Say "ya man, that sucks, I think the dealer pulled a fast one on you. Here, I can reload for that round how about I take it off your hands for 85% what you paid for it"
3: Say "You got scammed bro, here to make it better on you, I'll give you my DPMS Sporter that shoots 223 and you give me that $1.5K AR you just bought and ill reload for it."

I knew there was gonna be something to this post the minute I saw it....expected to see a nice half minute group, instead it went a different direction.
glad everyone is ok minus some humble
Pie. We all need some humble pie every once in a while.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
It was a complete case of excitement over a new rifle. He didn't pay attention and snagged what they had at the store for ammo. He won't admit to it, but I don't think he knew there was a 6mm Creedmoor.

I can share the story, but am sworn to never reveal his name. Which carries no penalty for me, and I'll probably pull this out at a get together in the future. Or if I see or hear of him missing while hunting.

Jeremy

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04