My Newfoundland Moose Hunt 2019

FSUHUNTER

FNG
Guys, here's some pictures and video of my newfound moose hunt.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. The concern i had weeks before the trip due to the little contact I’d had with my outfitter faded when i got into deer lake and found that they had called the hotel and left a message for my group of our departure time the next morning. When we arrived at Peter Strides Pond for the float plane departure, it was a bit hectic, but Bob was calm and collected, and it showed that he had everything under control.

When we arrived at camp, our guides where already there and it seems like they pair a very experienced guide with one that has a bit less...not that it matters a whole lot because once one fills his tag, both can concentrate on filling the other tag. Our guides where Tyler and FX (Francois Xavier) and were both excellent. We did the trophy hunt so it was 1X1 with 2 hunters and 2 guides per camp.

The terrain was extremely difficult, and you need to be in really good shape to have the best chances of harvesting a nice bull. We put in almost 12 miles in the first day and if I hadn’t been prepared we wouldn’t have made it to the bulls. Imagine walking on wet sponges that sink down 4-8 inches with every step, and then holes (which you cant seen) scattered everywhere in between. These wholes can be anywhere from 12” to 3’ deep and are covered by greenery making it very difficult to see. If you get tired and stop paying close attention, it’d be very easy to get a high ankle sprain or break your leg. I went thigh deep almost 3 times a day, and I’m in pretty good shape. We learned quickly that the key to not injuring yourself is to go with fall and not to fight it. It takes a ton of energy to pull yourself up off the ground when you have a pack on, but its better than ending your trip early. Not all camps are this way, but I think the good remote ones require a good bit of hiking everyday. It also depends on your guide, as I’d heard that some of the guides may not be interested in putting in that much effort, so just be clear when you’re booking it.

The food was great (for being a remote wilderness camp) and bunks were easily to sleep on as they had inches of foam or cushions. I know I’ve left a ton out, but hopefully the video will fill in the gaps. Pm me if you want more info.

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4541.JPG
    IMG_4541.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4511.jpg
    IMG_4511.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4535.JPG
    IMG_4535.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 82
Interesting. I would have never been able to handle that kind of hunt. Not with my knees & back. My hunt was a drive around road hunt. Did you know it was going to be like that before hand ?
We walked maybe 1 mile the entire week.. and mostly on dry dirt roads.
We were about 2 hours east of Deer Lake.

OP
FSUHUNTER

FSUHUNTER

FNG
Interesting. I would have never been able to handle that kind of hunt. Not with my knees & back. My hunt was a drive around road hunt. Did you know it was going to be like that before hand ?
We walked maybe 1 mile the entire week.. and mostly on dry dirt roads.
We were about 2 hours east of Deer Lake.
No, but that’s what I wanted and was glad it turned out to be like that. I told our outfitter that we were all in good shape and not afraid to cover a lot of ground.

If I was younger.... and had money when I was younger, I certainly would have enjoyed a strenuous hunt like that.
Now-a-days... I can afford it, but I'm older, and certainly not going waist deep into a bog. We walked a few bogs, but it was not that spongy. maybe 6". Then we walked on cut overs... that is not fun either.

NL is nothing like walking in the woods. It's really an accident waiting to happen. Especially for us older folk.