my pack is on the heavy side, do you think it's too much?

sk1

WKR
I leave for my 9 day backpacking elk hunt on Sunday morning around 2am to get there early and hopefully still glass a little in the a.m.

I finally got most of it in the pack and it came out to 63lbs....heavier than I wanted but then I thought well it's not terrible....then i realized I didn't have my bino harness on, spot2, or gps.....as well as my bow, quiver, release. rangefinder, and arrows.

I will for sure come in right around 74 to 76lbs as a total weight.....part of this is my own fault as this being my first ever backpacking trip im sure i am taking a little too much on the side of caution, however when i go over my list it really isn't that terrible, but i suppose a few extra ounces here and there add up. Also i imagine food for 9 days is always on the heavy side.

Anyways I know this is a very subjective question, but do you guys think it's stupid to pack in that much weight? I jumped on the incline treadmill and added 10lbs to my back to hit 73lbs, and honestly it felt great. I'm putting the TZ6000 to the test and i really hardly felt like anything was on my back.

I don't think im going to go through the pack to try and lighten the load, probably just gonna call it good, initial camp will be 5 miles in, hunting a 3 mile radius from there. If nothing else i've got plenty of time to lighten the load for next year.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 218
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 210

keep

Lil-Rokslider
What do you do if you have to hail one out?
My total weight for 7 days was just under 50# and that was including the clothes and boots I was wearing.

Jager

WKR
sk1 this trip with the pack will be a learning curve for you, but with 9 days worth of nourishment in your pack, I would say the weight isn't all that bad. Obviously, the lighter the better, but for a first time, your off too a good start. Best of luck and I look fwd to hearing your report, go hard.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
What do you do if you have to hail one out?
My total weight for 7 days was just under 50# and that was including the clothes and boots I was wearing.

thats awesome, wish i could do it that light....would be interested in seeing what you pack with you.

well originally i was going solo so i planned on (rough estimate) 2 trips for boned out meat guessing around 125lbs each trip, and a 3rd trip for camp.....4th trip if it's a nice bull. however, last week a buddy of mine said he would like to come with who is also in great shape, which would make a pack out much faster if successful. i have adequate days set aside for packing an animal out.

jager - a learning curve for sure, but rokslide shaved years off of that just with gear info alone

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think that is a bad starting weight for your first trip out. You will learn a lot and figure out what you truly need and don't need out there.

Good luck and let us know what your packing list was and what you would change when you get back and have things figured out.

I don't think that is a bad starting weight for your first trip out. You will learn a lot and figure out what you truly need and don't need out there.

Good luck and let us know what your packing list was and what you would change when you get back and have things figured out.

I agree especially since it only 5 miles. 5 heavy mikes out then 5 light ones back in for a ferry job is pretty doable in a day. If you can't easily haul 75lbs in 5mi to base camp then ou probably shouldn't be tipping over an elk back there!

aggieland

WKR
The trip up the mountain is going to be rough. If I were you I would list everything you have packed and let the guys/gals here kinda pick through it. My frist trip into the backcountry was really painful because all the extra crap I had packed & the cheap heavy equipment I was using. Now I have much better & lighter equipmenmt. It's still painful but not nearly as bad.. Best of luck this season and keep us posted!

rodney482

WKR
Leave all extra gear out.. truck is only 5 miles away.

If your like me you probably have too much clothing.

If Im that close to my truck i only take
enough gear for 5 days and if not tagged
out I make a trip back to my truck for supplies
I can hunt pretty much all the way there so
its not wasted time.

it seems a little heavy to me, but if you're good with it go with it. or you could post your list and pick it apart and make a decision from there. have you done any backpack trips at all?(not hunting)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For 9 days I usually run between 50-70 pounds depending on when, what, where, and who I'm hunting with so I wouldn't feel too bad about it at all.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think to heavy. I would re-think what your taking. If first time, write everything you are taking down on a piece of paper. When it is over, mark the items you actually used. You will find many things not used or needed. If you are hiking in 5 miles and are going to stay at that camp for a 9 day hunt, it really wont matter once you are there, but if you planning on moving several times, you are going to find packing that much weight all over the mountain range is going to get old.

Yukondog

WKR
Besides dropping weight with pack, sleeping bag and shelter I found that I continue ro bring too much food and clothes. Very hard for me to scale down. This year I will have a change of socks, boxers and one shirt. That will help out tremendously. I seem to always bring food back. Will try to scale down thia year as well.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i would post the list and what not, i just dont have time....procrastinated packing due to being sick, family life, and work. i leave at 2am, it's already packed so ill just have to make a go of it and hope i don't have to move much as i agree with rosinbag it will get old quick

i probably have too much food, too many clothes, definitely too many batteries, and a few other things....i hate being a "just in case" kinda guy sometimes!

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
I say too heavy. Does that include water? With your buddy going hopefully he will take on some of the load.

dotman

WKR
I say heavy but it also takes time to get the weight down so based on budget it migjt be just right for this year. My first pack in weighed more then that, now I have my 12 day weight down to 48lbs.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
That is not a bad starting weight for your first time out and with the amount of food you must be bringing along for that many days out.

My current bag comes out at 53 lbs for a 7 days trip and that does not include my water, rifle, spot, binos and harness etc. There is noway I can get mine lighter without buying a new pack, cutting food, or cutting clothing.

I like to eat and I like to stay warm so those are staying and my pack carries the weight and is comfortable so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

My first backpack hunt I was coming in about as heavy as you if not a tad heavier and I learned a lot but was able to make the hump in and back out without any issues and I am sure you won't have any either.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP