my pack is on the heavy side, do you think it's too much?

swat8888

WKR
A list of the items I've cut out of my pack over the years....just to give an idea of what I have personally found to be unnecessary (weather anywhere from 30-65 degrees, lots of rain):

1. Extra cases (leather knife cases, stock sleeping bag sack, sunglasses case, etc.)

2. Numerous small dry bags- I used the snack size ziploc bags this year and was really happy...next to no weight and easily grouped like small items into one bag for ease of organization and finding stuff.

3. Deodorant- No idea why I was ever carrying this

4. Extra mid-layer- I have no need for a fleece mid-weight and my puffy coat....fleece stays at home

5. Soft-shell jacket- By far the best decision I made was to stop carrying my Sitka Jetstream....almost 2lbs I never used.

6. Extra batteries- I put fresh batteries in my GPS (which I seldom use anyhow), watch and range finder prior to the trip. I rarely need my headlamp during fall hunts, but during winter hunts I'd bring extra batteries.

7. Large knife- Now I just bring my havalon, large knife stays at the strip. If I was hunting moose, bear or elk I'd probably pack the larger knife as well.

8. Fuel can stand (little orange thing in my jetboil) and the pot adapter...no use for them.

9. Waterproof gloves- too heavy and they never stayed waterproof anyhow. I bring one very thin light pair if I'm bowhunting...just to conceal my hands and a set of windstopper fleece gloves that keep my hands warm even when wet.

10. Extra fuel can- 1 small jetboil will last me about 10 days (2 cups water breakfast, 2 cups dinner). If you aren't sure of your burn rate I'd recommend an extra if over 7 days. Averages I'm basing this off are elevation 4,000ft, ave. temp 50 degrees.

11. Sitka 90% pants- I about died of dehydration wearing those hot things....too hot to move around that much in.

About the only thing I'm going to change this year is the removal of a synthetic baselayer and a t-shirt. In place of those two items I am going to get a mid-weight merino 1/4 zip top to go along with the lightweight First Lite long sleeve I already have.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I was right at 40 pounds going into the Brook Range for 6 cold days with all my puffy gear and warm enough sleep system to combat the snowy environment. However on the 1st sheep hunt this season I was likely around 65 pounds or better for 8 days. Just goes to show how who you are hunting with, where you are hunting, what species you are chasing, when you are hunting all can have a dramatic effect on a packs total weight. To swing 25 pounds between hunts is not uncommon. Which is why its important to not get too wrapped up about a set pack weight as its always changing hunt to hunt based on what you need, but rather just make sure you got everything you need for that particular hunt, a few things you want to splurge on weight wise if you feel you want to, and nothing you won't or don't need.

bobhunts

WKR
I am just like you. I always go in on the heavy side and hope to come out the same way. Remember the weight you bring in is going to go down as you progress through the hunt and the lighter you start off the better off you will be. I went with my hunting buddy on his sheep hunt here in Colorado and I think I was over loaded as I was close to 70 lbs. I started to reduce weight after the first day. I'm not in my twenties any more so I tend to actually do a trial run anymore. But I still over pack everytime. Now I have to figure out to not do that. Bob.