My plan for the week

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so the birds I'm chasing I have figured out or so I thought. But it seems if I come in on the left side of the ridge they go right, if I enter on the right they go left if I stay in the woods they fly into the field if I stay at fields edge they stay in the woods. So here in Mo we have to stop hunting at 1pm. Here's my plan... I'm gonna get right in there roost area couple hours before dark set the blind and make a few calls hopefully make them look for that sexy hen right before bed. Then after dark it's a mountain house for dinner and curling up in the blind till morning. No trying to sneak in just soft sweet calls in the morning after breakfast and some coffee. I have came close to killing one off these birds once but just couldn't close the distance.

Wish you the best of luck!! My advice...like you said...is get in way early, don't make a sound and wait them out till right before daylight and give them some calls while they are still on the roost. Throw in some fly down calls, and have your decoys positioned perfectly.

Sleeping in the blind? That's dedication. Can't wait to hear how you do.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried this this morning actually. I was in my blind by 3 am. Pitch black. I had decoys and blind set about 100 yards from one roost tree, 150 from another, and 225 from the farthest. I was in stealth ninja mode and made little noise. I thought I was in like Flin! Birds were gobbling like crazy at first light.....I coaxed them with calls.....everything seemed perfect.....Not so much .....birds pitched out of their roost and hit the ground running. It has worked in the past but not this time!

Hopefully it works for you!

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm off will post my results as soon as I get back. Think I might try making a bunch of racket on one side of the ridge and then setting up on the other. If that don't work then I will scare the bajesus out of them before they roost try and scatter them. Then they'll be quick for company in the morning. I'm gonna kill me one of those birds come hell or high water!

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
With this crazy warm weather things just didn't work out as planned. The birds gobbled there heads off but as soon as they hit the ground that was it. They weren't even interested in any company. But hey that's hunting!!!!

I feel your PAIN!!!! It has been a tough season and I have been right there with you. Is there any pattern to the birds' daily movement where you can get set up for them to be passing between 10-1?? That is finally how I was able to tag in Kansas. I knew they were hitting one specific corn stubble field in the mid-morning and right before fly up. Keep on them!!! Persistence and PATIENCE!!!

PS I camped out in the blind once this year too :) Keep at them!!!

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Our season ended today and I had other obligations to attend to (family). This is the first year in wow I can't remember when that I haven't gotten a bird. I actually had a chance to kill a nice tom early in the season but I decided I didn't want to crawl the 30yds in the mud to get with in range. Kicking myself now :) Lol makes me think back to a couple years ago when I crawled 300yds through a water puddle filled plowed corn field on a flock of snows ended up wet cold covered in mud but I got 8 birds outta that stalk! :p

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it is and I have some good ones! Stalked a doe to with in 30yds had 3 does pass me on the downwind side at
5 yds but man they freaked out on my dekes in the field! Saw a lot of hens one that really hated my decoy went into some kinda have strut on her, first time I say a hen do anything like that! It's okay to lose once and awhile:)

The most important thing to remember and to pull from your season is the things you saw, learned, and remembering where you saw birds and start getting a game plan together for next season!!!