My quest for "the one"

Schism

WKR
Thank you for the review. Very well done. Please update us throughout and after a season of use with them.

Well after looking a long time and driving to different stores, I found a pair on ebay that caught my eye. New swarovski slc and el's were out of my price range, so I was looking on ebay and the slc's are going for around 1,200 to 1,400 used. I found a pair of 08' 10x42 slc's and bid on them, set my high at 1,100, well I got out bid and moved on. A few days later the guy that was selling those got a hold of me and told me the other guy backed out and if I wanted the bino's he would let them go for 1,150. Long story short, I was able to get them for 1,000. The pictures show a nice pair with no defects and using paypal I feel comfertable with the sale. I called swarovski to check out the serial number and everything was good with them. After months of looking I'm really looking forward to my used, new to me, pair of swarovski 10x42 slc's!!! Never thought I'd ever own a pair of swarovski's, can't wait to look through them. I'm really glad I was able to find this topic and for the review that was done here, again thank's for your incredible review!!

Shrek

WKR
Manosteel , I think this thread kind of wrapped up in June with his purchase of the slc's . Lol . I'll probably start a new bino search thread in January when I go to upgrade my bino's. Maybe we can get a big thread going with lots of testing and educated opinions. I think I just squared away my spotter so bino's are next for me.

Buster

WKR
In spite of the tension, I think this is the best informational thread I've ever seen. I hope that it keeps rolling.

Shrek

WKR
It certainly is. Not many of us could park ten grand to test binoculars. This thread and the bird forums is giving me information overload. I took my brunton eternas out today and found all kinds of sins I wasn't aware of before. After a while I kind of wish I didn't know what I know now so I could just look through a set and not start to analyze them. Nothing I can do about my binoculars this season but I will have well evaluated binoculars by next year.

Manosteel

WKR
Manosteel , I think this thread kind of wrapped up in June with his purchase of the slc's . Lol . I'll probably start a new bino search thread in January when I go to upgrade my bino's. Maybe we can get a big thread going with lots of testing and educated opinions. I think I just squared away my spotter so bino's are next for me.

LOL, I figured as much when I did a fast skip through but I wanted to tag this thread for a more detailed read later. Like you I am in the market for new Bino's. Looking to go with the smaller and lighter 8 x 32 and under 20 oz or there abouts.

Shrek

WKR
I'm going smaller also but 10x51 to 8x42 I think. With a good spotter along I can drop the binocular magnification and objective size.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks again for all the kind words guys.

The big take away message I would say if your in the market to make "that last purchase"...ie "the big one" is to get multiple pairs...two, three, four, etc and use them in the areas you normally hunt...this is where you will the differences. I really never noticed the significant differences looking at houses, streets, signs etc...it was glassing deer, and hillsides during daylight, first and last light that the true differences between each bino really became apparent to my eyes.

I can say that I look forward every hunt to glass and end up glassing for hours. I really love the SLC HD bino's and without them I can honestly say that the buck I took in this thread.. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?10367-My-bro-and-I would not of happened as he was spotted about 1/2-3/4 a mile away at first, frist light before he slipped into the timber. The ability to see the different contrast and colors through the SLC let me see that the orangish colored figure didn't quit look right with the dark brush backdrop. My old bino's would not have been able to make that out nor could my brother see them through his diamonback's.

boom

WKR
fun thread.

IMHO, nothing generates a great friendly (and not so friendly) hunting debate like binos. okay maybe favorite rifle calibers.

it took me a couple of months to choose my binos. i was torn between the Swavo and my Ultravids. (10x50's). what i really like that Leica did is allow you to individually adjust focus on both eyes before you lock them down for the "gang" adjust. this option just works for my eyes. i dont make alot of money, and i rank this as "kidney" level of spending.

in the end, i ended up with the Ultravids..why? to be honest, i found them mis-priced. they were priced with the OLD 10x42 pricing. i got them for somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 cheaper than the Swavos. probably not the best logic. both binos are super clear. if i had to choose one, i think the Swavorkis have better focus out at the edge of the viewing circle.

am i done? probably not. haha. when i have the means, i'll probably get Swavo HD 10x42's. i love how they feel in my hands. they are so much more compact.

oh edit. my last pair of binos were some $500 pentax. great size, great feel..pretty clear. i love sitting in my backyard with both binos at dusk. with the Leica, i can see the veins on stuff growing in my trees. the texture on acorns, the veins in my plums, etc. with the pentax they are invisible. there really is a difference. i just wish they were magical and would help me find animals. HAH. nothing makes up for lame glassing habits. nothing. my brother with his big Pentax can out glass me anyday. sucks.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
boom - funny you mention your brother being able to out glass you. I suppose there should be a stipulation that just because you have the best glass, doesn't mean they will show you deer. Knowing how to use your optics is another topic by itself.