My rifle predicament.

grfox92

WKR
Fairly new to rifle hunting here. Moved out west a year ago. Long time whitetail bowhunter and I'm navigating my way through getting a proper rifle set up fore elk, deer and antelope.

I hunted this year with a M70 in .308 with a 3x9 Vortex Diamondback. The scope is the weak link I know, and won't be on what ever set up I chose for next season. After my antelope hunt, and hunting out west in general I realize that longer range shots then I am used too is inevitable. I will be practicing alot this off season and hope to be able to shoot out to 400+ yards. My comfortable limit this year was 200.

My other rifle is a Savage 110E in .270. it has a great laminate stock, mild trigger job and the action and barrel Cerakote.

Both guns need a better optic. I am having trouble deciding which gun to set up for next year. If I'm shooting out to 400 I will either need a BDC type reticle or a scope that dials. Either way I am only able to set up one these guns for next year.

I'm looking for opinions on which gun you would set up for Deer, elk, antelope and Black Bear and why.

Thanks,

Gary

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Are you asking to choose between the 2 or are you planning on getting a new rifle for next year?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Are you asking to choose between the 2 or are you planning on getting a new rifle for next year?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
No I'm asking which one of these rifles I should set up. I was thinking about selling the model 70 and putting it towards a Weatherby Vanguard High Country or a Bergara M14 either one in 300 win mag.

I'm hesitant to do it because sometimes I can be impulsive and don't want to regret selling an M70 featherweight.

Zappaman

WKR
Lots of high priced scopes out there (here), but I'd recall that a 1-9x50 was the standard for "western" shooting not too long ago ;) I am a west Texas kid who shot deer out to 600 yards with a basic nikon, bushnell, or weaver scope just fine ;) And I did so with a 270 (just like old Jack O'Conner did in Alaska and Africa).

You have the gun, the scope doesn't need to be a crazy $1000 problem. Weaver Classic or Grand Slam, Bushnell Nitro (if you want the reticle for drop), or decent Vortex (Saw some Vipers on sale now for Black Friday!) will do you fine. If you can find a Nikon Prostaff, great too. More important is to shoot them and get "comfy" with what they can do.

I have some for sale (shameless promotion here) if you are interested in a Nitro or Weaver Classic. Personally, the scopes I prefer are LIGHTWEIGHT compared to most out there these days. But in any case... the gear doesn't make the hunter (and good glass doesn't cost $1000 if you do your homework). I am sure many here will disagree BTW. But my walls in my home will make my point better than internet opinion.

Good luck!

Zappaman

WKR
No I'm asking which one of these rifles I should set up. I was thinking about selling the model 70 and putting it towards a Weatherby Vanguard High Country or a Bergara M14 either one in 300 win mag.

I'm hesitant to do it because sometimes I can be impulsive and don't want to regret selling an M70 featherweight.

I bought the Vangaurd 7MM Mag in the Weathergaurd... I can't suggest better for the weight and build quality! Comes with a TWO year MOA guarantee (which you won't need).

Last edited:
OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Lots of high priced scopes out there (here), but I'd recall that a 1-9x50 was the standard for "western" shooting not too long ago ;) I am a west Texas kid who shot deer out to 600 yards with a basic nikon, bushnell, or weaver scope just fine ;) And I did so with a 270 (just like old Jack O'Conner did in Alaska and Africa).

You have the gun, the scope doesn't need to be a crazy $1000 problem. Weaver Classic or Grand Slam, Bushnell Nitro (if you want the reticle for drop), or decent Vortex (Saw some Vipers on sale now for Black Friday!) will do you fine. If you can find a Nikon Prostaff, great too. More important is to shoot them and get "comfy" with what they can do.

I have some for sale (shameless promotion here) if you are interested in a Nitro or Weaver Classic. Personally, the scopes I prefer are LIGHTWEIGHT compared to most out there these days. But in any case... the gear doesn't make the hunter (and good glass doesn't cost $1000 if you do your homework). I am sure many here will disagree BTW. But my walls in my home will make my point better than internet opinion.

Good luck!
Yes. A $1000 scope is not an option for me currently. I've been looking at options from Burris, Athlon, SIG, Leupold and Vortex.

I have a Viper 3.5-10 on order that I "earned" with Vortex Bucks, while working at a gun shop last winter. It was the best scope I could order (for free) with the money I had to spend. Problem is it is a standard reticle, no BDC, and that scope isn't made to dial.

Wrench

WKR
I've killed plenty of elk with the 270 and my pard has killed plenty with the 308. Neither are currently the rage....but both very practical. I'd choose the one that you enjoy carrying and if it's a draw, the more accurate.

Luckily, both seem to have ammo available too.

Gila

WKR
What you need is experience...If you don’t have the ability and confidence to make a shot on a game animal out to 400 yards with what you have, no “upgrades” can give you that.

Superdoo

WKR
Just find something decent that has a zero stop and is ffp. If it has both of those features you’ll be fine with the quality of the glass.
I’ve come to find that optics I use to find animals are more important to upgrade than the one I use to shoot the animal. After all, if you can’t find them the shooting part doesn’t much matter.

bhylton

WKR
Both will easily kill out to 400 yds. And I don't think you need a fancy reticle or dials either. Zero either rifle at 250ish yds amd you could hold at the top of an elks back and kill it at 400.. more or less

Zappaman

WKR
Personal opinion: I never needed to dial in a scope out to 600 yards, but I admit I grew up not having the option. The 270 will get you out there fine... for deer. Elk out to 400 yards was a long-shot but doable with a good rest (knowing you balistics)- for me. I "clocked" my last elk at exactly 410 yards with my 7mm RemMag with a 24" hold over the neck- no wind- neck shot (160g Partition). That rifle was sighted in at 200 yards (zero).

cmahoney

WKR
I second the SWFA, do you self a favor and research some of those other scopes you mentioned, specifically their ability to reliability track and return to zero. The NF SHV 3-10 would be a variable power option for a reliable scope under $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
What you need is experience...If you don’t have the ability and confidence to make a shot on a game animal out to 400 yards with what you have, no “upgrades” can give you that.
I agree. I'm not looking for upgrades to make me a better shot. I don't have a scope at all on the .270, just looking for advise on which gun to focus my time and energy into.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I second the SWFA, do you self a favor and research some of those other scopes you mentioned, specifically their ability to reliability track and return to zero. The NF SHV 3-10 would be a variable power option for a reliable scope under $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am interested in the SWFA fixed power scopes. My plan is to go out and shoot my current 308 at 6x power and different ranges out to 300 and see how it feels.

Zappaman

WKR
I'd take that vortex you ordered already (excellent scope/glass), put it on your 270 and go to the range. Spend money on GOOD ammo and take it out to 400 and see where it's hitting.

tdot

WKR
Keep the 308. Sell the 270. Find a used scope that has a decent reputation and use it. Learn your system and then decide what you want. If you do add a 300wm, IMO the 308 is the better compliment.

I d be hesitant on a fixed 6x. If you said all your shots were 100-400 yards, then fine. But if you have a decent number of opportunities below 100 yards and especially below 50, then I'd suggest 4x as being the max magnification for either a fixed power or the low side of a variable power scope.