My rifle predicament.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Keep the 308. Sell the 270. Find a used scope that has a decent reputation and use it. Learn your system and then decide what you want. If you do add a 300wm, IMO the 308 is the better compliment.

I d be hesitant on a fixed 6x. If you said all your shots were 100-400 yards, then fine. But if you have a decent number of opportunities below 100 yards and especially below 50, then I'd suggest 4x as being the max magnification for either a fixed power or the low side of a variable power scope.
I have close to 1000 pieces of brass for the 308.....and a Dillon press that I've never set up in a box on the basement. If I add a 300 WM I'll be reloding all 30 cal. This is why I ask for advice and a different perspective. Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Aksnagger

FNG
I agree. I'm not looking for upgrades to make me a better shot. I don't have a scope at all on the .270, just looking for advise on which gun to focus my time and energy into.

Like some others have said, which do you prefer shooting more? I suspect it is the 270 which imo fits the bill for most of your hunts. Pick that one and take it to the range a lot, and practice. I’ve been hunting for 25 years and have never needed to shoot anything more than 220 yds. That includes sheep, goats and moose. Some of my best memories was stocking game within 300 and the challange that comes with it. Some of those got away. I’m a very good shot and don’t feel confident anything over 300.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Like some others have said, which do you prefer shooting more? I suspect it is the 270 which imo fits the bill for most of your hunts. Pick that one and take it to the range a lot, and practice. I’ve been hunting for 25 years and have never needed to shoot anything more than 220 yds. That includes sheep, goats and moose. Some of my best memories was stocking game within 300 and the challange that comes with it. Some of those got away. I’m a very good shot and don’t feel confident anything over 300.
I agree with not needing to shoot so far, except when it comes to antelope. Did my first antelope hunt this year and the only shot my group had at a buck was 385 yards.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I am interested in the SWFA fixed power scopes. My plan is to go out and shoot my current 308 at 6x power and different ranges out to 300 and see how it feels.

Be aware that the SWFA 6X and virtually any variable power at 6x is not a fair comparison. The fixed 6 is mind blowing for what it is.

2ski

WKR
I agree with not needing to shoot so far, except when it comes to antelope. Did my first antelope hunt this year and the only shot my group had at a buck was 385 yards.

Put the new scope on the 270 and keep both. I just bought a 308 and put a dialable scope on it. But everything I've shot up to this point has been a 3-9x scope. Either caliber will do you fine. No need to buy a new rifle and get rid of one.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
Get a Leupold VX-3i with the B&C Reticle. I have the 4.5-14x40 on my Win 70 Super Grade in 300 Win mag, and it has killed a number of animals out past 300 with no issues. I took it to Africa. I like the Winchester M70 over the Savage 110 personally, and there is nothing wrong with the .308 at the ranges you are talking about.

.308 is also very easy to reload and brass is free if you look around. It is also a cartridge for which ammo is pretty much always available in some form.

You might also consider selling or trading the Savage and getting a Tikka T3X in 300 Win Mag.

2ski

WKR
That's a good point about ammo availability right now. I see tons of .308 out there. The only thing I see really.

This is a tough one if I was in your shoes.

The model 70 is a proven platform with decent aftermarket options.

The savage 110 from what I see is also one with options as well since it is one of the non remington 700 clones that has some support on the action. It's already cerakoted which is a common mod and half way there for an ultimate hunting rifle.

If it was me, I would lean towards the savage in 270. You could always change the stock if you don't like it and load different loads for larger game if needed with a mono.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Get a Leupold VX-3i with the B&C Reticle. I have the 4.5-14x40 on my Win 70 Super Grade in 300 Win mag, and it has killed a number of animals out past 300 with no issues. I took it to Africa. I like the Winchester M70 over the Savage 110 personally, and there is nothing wrong with the .308 at the ranges you are talking about.

.308 is also very easy to reload and brass is free if you look around. It is also a cartridge for which ammo is pretty much always available in some form.

You might also consider selling or trading the Savage and getting a Tikka T3X in 300 Win Mag.
I have close to 1000 rounds of brass for the .308 it's all bulk stuff so mil surplus I believe. It would be very affordable to reload and do alot of shooting compared to the .270 which I'll be starting from scratch.

I know this will be unpopular with slot of folks on this forum but I am not a fan of Tika at all. I know they are great rifles, but I hate the look of them. That's why I was leaning towards Weatherby or Bergara.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Seems like a lot of folks favoring the .270.

I think what I will do, is keep both guns. Put the Viper 3.5-10 I have coming to me on the .270.

Start accumulating ammo for the .270 as it becomes available (hard to find right now) and shoot both guns as much as I can over the summer and see which one feels best an I shoot best. I'm betting it will be the .270 as it has some type of trigger work done for sure.

The .308 has a Diamondback 3x9 on it. While that scope gets alot of hate, I dialed it in at sea level in 2018. Drove cross country, Hunted the mountains of WY for 10 days fell with the gun and landed on the scope, banged it around in the Adirondacks in single digit temps. Then had it ejected from my camper when I had a terrible accident and rolled over. The gun landed in the middle of the highway median in a soft case, finally got it out of the case months later and started shooting and it was still dead on after all that, and I mean dead on. I guess there is no reason not to just continue shooting that gun as is for the time being and using the BDC reticle rather then dialing. Make myself up a dope card for the reticle.

I appreciate all the advice. I knew I would get some different perspectives on here. Thanks guys.

Scheels has the vortex viper hslr on sale right now. That is probably the best mid price range scope in the $400-$600 range. The Leupold vx-3hd is up there as well. Both can have custom dials which are an absolute difference maker and game changer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Another option in the future is to re-barrel the 270win to 300wm. Change the bolt head, add a pre-fit barrel and you have your new rifle at a lower investment then a new rifle. You'd have to confirm the length of the action wouldn't hamper you too much, but it should be pretty straightforward with the barrel nut and swappable bolt head.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I saw you have made up your mind, but if you do look at Burris scopes like you mentioned, be sure to check out the ones with the E1 reticle. It has hash marks on the reticle to take you out to 500 for your 308 and out to 600 for your 270
20211128_214803.jpg

Last edited:
OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Another option in the future is to re-barrel the 270win to 300wm. Change the bolt head, add a pre-fit barrel and you have your new rifle at a lower investment then a new rifle. You'd have to confirm the length of the action wouldn't hamper you too much, but it should be pretty straightforward with the barrel nut and swappable bolt head.
I like this option alot. I'm into the Savage for $100 total right now, bought it from my uncle for what he paid for it. Cerakote was done for free as my buddy was training on Cerakote at the time.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Fairly new to rifle hunting here. Moved out west a year ago. Long time whitetail bowhunter and I'm navigating my way through getting a proper rifle set up fore elk, deer and antelope.

For this… Can’t think of much worse than a 270, Savage, with bottom rung Vortex…

I like this option alot. I'm into the Savage for $100 total right now, bought it from my uncle for what he paid for it. Cerakote was done for free as my buddy was training on Cerakote at the time.

…. unless it was a magnum.

Ksfarmer

FNG
Lots of options for the savage as far as changing calibers and building what you want. It doesnt have to happen overnight, you can upgrade trigger, and stock as funds come available. I would 2nd getting a good rangefinder, dope chart, and some time on the gun. Find a load you like and learn it. Good luck!

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
For this… Can’t think of much worse than a 270, Savage, with bottom rung Vortex…

…. unless it was a magnum.
What part is so bad? the Savage Part, or the 270 part or the Diamondback part?

I know the scope isn't the best....

Antares

WKR
Well you’re not going to like my opinion but here goes.

Sell both of and save up until you have about $2000. Get a Tikka in 6.5CM plus a high quality optic and mount. Buy some good ammo, I would start with 140 ELDMs from Hornady. Do some shooting. I’m not sure what it is about the look you dislike, but you’ll get over it. If not, I’ll buy the rifle from you. If your stuck on .308, that’s a fine choice too.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What part is so bad? the Savage Part, or the 270 part or the Diamondback part?

I know the scope isn't the best....

All of it.

1). Scope- It isn’t about “the best” scope. It’s about that scopes are aiming devices- they steer bullets. That is their sole and only function. Vortex’s are among the worst of any at that. Longevity and reliability suck, zero retention sucks, dialing sucks, FOV and eyebox suck, pretty much everything about any Vortex save their Gen II Razors sucks, and even they have more problems than they should. You can go anywhere to any group with people that have used more than one Vortex and you will hear how great their costumer service is.

2). Savage- I have shot multiple barrels out on Savages. They are one of the worst actions on the market. Rough as hell to cycle, spotty feeding, poor trigger reliability, poor extraction, and worse ejection. In 1999 when there were no sub $400 rifles that would shoot worth a flip, they had some appeal. In 2021 when there is almost NO rifle made that won’t shoot? Nah. The barrel change angle doesn’t work as there are prefits for T3’s.

2). 270win- there’s nothing inherently wrong with it, it’s just that for 400 yards it isn’t needed. The recoil is more than is required, and more than most can truly handle in a light’ish rifle without anticipation. You’re “fairly new to rifle hunting”. Something that recoils less would be a better choice than a 270.

Truthfully the 308 isn’t ideal either. But a M70 in 308 objectively is a much, much better rifle than a Savage in 270.

@Antares is correct. Rifles are tools, Tikkas are significantly better tools than either rifle mentioned, and 6.5 CM is a better cartridge for your circumstances than either the 270 or 308. Though I also agree with him that a T3 in 308 would be fine, 308 in a Tikka T3 lite recoils quite a bit. For legit sub 600 yards, a 243 T3 would work better than any of them.

The easy button to the least amount of fuss, drama, and stupidity is a T3x lite in 243 or 6.5CM (or 1-8” 223…) with a SWFA 6x42mm scope with MQ reticle and Sportsmatch rings.

Reactions: Stu