My Semi-custom sort of upgraded Tikka Build

Gila

WKR
Tikka T3X Lite 300 Win Mag in Stainless (Powder Coated)
Tikka Barrel 24" with a 1:10" twist
Tikka Trigger adjusted to 2.4lbs
Tikka Stock
-- Vertical pistol grip
-- Wide Foregrip
-- Limbsaver recoil pad
-- 14 to 27 inch extendable Bi-pod with Pivot
-- Vibration dampening
Triad Tactical Stock Pack
Red Snake Tactical bottom metal
Accurate Mag 3.715 (metal)
Murphy Precision Picatinny Rail Stainless - 20 MOA
Burris XTR signature rings
Crimson Trace Series 5 (3X18X50mm) riflescope
Weight: 9.9 pounds unloaded and without bi-pod

Everything went together extremely well. Better than I had expected really. I was prepared to replace the stock but after I took everything apart, the stock fit the action so well that I decided to keep it. The lockup with the recoil lug is exact. There is no play what so ever. The barrel is free floated all the way back to the base of the shoulder where you would expect. The rifle is ready to go to the range to break-in the barrel and sight in. Tikka has it together to produce accurate rifles so hopefully I put everything back together correctly.

rifle1F.jpg
rifle2.jpg
rifle5.jpg

morgaj1

WKR
Nice rifle and I bet it will be be a shooter. I have a completely stock version of that same rifle, same caliber and it’s a shooter. Quick question, where did you get a 1:10 tikka factory barrel? I thought all their .30 cal barrels were 1:11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Nice rifle and I bet it will be be a shooter. I have a completely stock version of that same rifle, same caliber and it’s a shooter. Quick question, where did you get a 1:10 tikka factory barrel? I thought all their .30 cal barrels were 1:11.

New for this year they are putting a 1:10” twist on their 300 win mag barrels. The 300 WSMs are all still 1:11” twist. Apparently Tikka is phasing out the 300 WSM altogether. The barrel reads “300 WIN MAG 10”. Tikka upgraded their website with the changes a few weeks ago.

morgaj1

WKR
That’s awesome. The 1:11 twist is the only thing I don’t like about this gun.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Well, yesterday was the first time out shooting the new rifle. Bore sighted at 50 yards put some on paper at 50 then moved out to 100 and sighted in the scope. Was shooting dimes at 100 yd so went out to 200 and tweaked a bit on windage. It is a sweet shooter. The most accurate rifle I will ever own. I had the rifle completely apart and changed out numerous parts. Amazing to me is that I put everything back together correctly. I was very careful with the torque especially with the action screws. The recoil lug fit nice and snug. The action went back into place quite well.

Since the barrel had been test fired, I cleaned it throughly with Boar cleaner when I first got it. I tried something different with this new barrel. After firing 3 rounds I cleaned the barrel which was full of small copper flakes. Fired three more rounds and cleaned, not as much fouling or copper. Fired 6 rounds (while letting the barrel cool off between rounds) and cleaned. Fired another 6 rounds and cleaned. There was less fouling. It was like the barrel became “seasoned” after about the 15th round. There was less vibration and the rifle just seemed to settle in.

Nothing became loose or changed position at all. The front lens cap flew off but no worse for wear. Everything is dialed in, so the next trip to the range will be to walk out to 500 yards and practice positions. To say elk fever is kicking in is an understatement. I have a first rifle tag in one of the best elk units in New Mexico.

huntsd

WKR
Well, yesterday was the first time out shooting the new rifle. Bore sighted at 50 yards put some on paper at 50 then moved out to 100 and sighted in the scope. Was shooting dimes at 100 yd so went out to 200 and tweaked a bit on windage. It is a sweet shooter. The most accurate rifle I will ever own. I had the rifle completely apart and changed out numerous parts. Amazing to me is that I put everything back together correctly. I was very careful with the torque especially with the action screws. The recoil lug fit nice and snug. The action went back into place quite well.

Since the barrel had been test fired, I cleaned it throughly with Boar cleaner when I first got it. I tried something different with this new barrel. After firing 3 rounds I cleaned the barrel which was full of small copper flakes. Fired three more rounds and cleaned, not as much fouling or copper. Fired 6 rounds (while letting the barrel cool off between rounds) and cleaned. Fired another 6 rounds and cleaned. There was less fouling. It was like the barrel became “seasoned” after about the 15th round. There was less vibration and the rifle just seemed to settle in.

Nothing became loose or changed position at all. The front lens cap flew off but no worse for wear. Everything is dialed in, so the next trip to the range will be to walk out to 500 yards and practice positions. To say elk fever is kicking in is an understatement. I have a first rifle tag in one of the best elk units in New Mexico.
Good looking gun! I just picked up this same gun 1:10 and it’s a shooter!