My SG Grumman Jacket experience

After seeing a few favorable reviews of this jacket, I just wanted to share my personal experience as well.

I purchased my jacket back in late August of 2019. I got a chance to use it on one trip in early September - a high cascades hunt for black bear. With that said, the jacket really only got some play time in the mornings/evenings around camp making coffee and breakfast. Its surprisingly warm for its weight… it feels like a heater honestly… I could imagine it would be nice later on in the season, however with my wifes schedule in late September through October more backcountry hunts weren’t able to happen. Since buying this I relegated my Sitka Kelvin to front country, and my older jacket to just kick around in(more on this later).

I pulled my jacket out of the closet Monday because I have some pre-season scouting/backpacking trips planned. After pulling it out I notice the stitching on one of the sleeves is starting to pull out… upon further inspection, stitching on the other arm is close to doing the same thing. I want to mention that the jacket doesn’t get stored improperly - its been hanging, unstuffed, in my closet since September. Obviously this didn’t happen while it was sitting in my closet. I probably should’ve inspected it before I put it away, but when a jacket costs what this one does, you don’t really expect it to have these issues… it probably doesn’t help that every pack I’ve bought from them has been 100% solid.

Shortly after discovering this, I took pictures(which are attached to this thread) and sent off an email to Stone Glacier. Surely this is a warranty issue - but, as of writing this review I have yet to hear back from them. I would understand the durability issues if using the jacket outside of the parameters it was designed for - say I was busting brush, or using the jacket to hike miles and miles in(although with as hot as this jacket is, I couldn't imagine doing any hiking in it). My other down puffy, a Stoic(an old backcountry.com house brand) that I purchased in 2012 for $75 bucks is somehow still all in one piece after using it for some things I probably shouldn’t have(including, since buying the SG, using it to go shoot in, around town, etc).

At the end of the day, I’ll be sending this one up the road once I figure out what SG plans to do(if anything). I’d like to be able to trust it, but I can’t see keeping a $320 jacket around that, after a 3 day trip, looks worse than a $75 dollar jacket thats 8 years old. Maybe I’m just being picky, but at this price point I expect more.

I’ve included a picture of the coat itself so you guys can see there are zero signs of wear outside of the stitching issues.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 184
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2501.JPG
    IMG_2501.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2502.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2503.JPG
    IMG_2503.JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 171

lyle hebel

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Jeff, thanks for posting your review and I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your Grumman Jacket. Like any SG product, we stand behind the craftsmanship and want you to be happy with your purchase. We would be glad to warranty your jacket.

I scrubbed our customer service emails and didn't see your original email outlining the issue. If you don't mind, please resend that to my email address, [email protected]. I will get your warranty resolved ASAP.

Thanks,
Lyle Hebel
SG Marketing Director

I sorta figured this was how this would go down LOL but I dramatically overestimated time to resolution. Under an hour. Attention other outdoor gear companies ^^^^ this is how it's done right here.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Well, when my old REI down jacket finally gets retired, I know who to call. (y)

OP
J
Just a heads up - I’m in contact with Lyle who even went as far as to offer a refund on a 10 month old purchase.

Ive dealt with their CS in the past, but only through sales. It’s great to see the other end of their customer service is just as great.

I thought I was decided on giving up on it, but Lyle even went and checked the other guys coats and let me know that it was, in fact, bad luck on my part. I guess if it wasn’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all😂

I have decided I’m gonna give the jacket another shot.

Impressive response. Or you could go the Luxe route as described in recent threads and tell the customer fu.

OP
J
...and a generous discount on top of everything? You’ve gotta be kidding me. Looks like I’m trying out a Helio as well 😂

Their customer service is top notch.

OP
J
I received the new jacket(and hoody) on Saturday and upon inspection I definitely got a defective jacket to begin with. The seams on the new one look a lot more durable.

Again, wonderful experience.

Scrappy

WKR
Just a heads up - I’m in contact with Lyle who even went as far as to offer a refund on a 10 month old purchase.

Ive dealt with their CS in the past, but only through sales. It’s great to see the other end of their customer service is just as great.

I thought I was decided on giving up on it, but Lyle even went and checked the other guys coats and let me know that it was, in fact, bad luck on my part. I guess if it wasn’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all😂

I have decided I’m gonna give the jacket another shot.
Oh my goodness this sounds just like me. There can be ten of a product on the shelf and if i pick it will be the one defective product. Ive even had total strangers pick for me before.

OP
J
Oh my goodness this sounds just like me. There can be ten of a product on the shelf and if i pick it will be the one defective product. Ive even had total strangers pick for me before.

What’s funny is I had some peak meals ordered from BlackOvis that arrived on Friday and wouldn’t you know it, one was busted all over the inside of the box.

I contacted BlackOvis and they rushed a replacement out(great customer service as well)... to my old house that I sold over a year ago. They got me right though and it should be to the right address in a day or two.