My SKRE Experience

Pgohil

WKR
I am a lifelong West Virginia hunter. Hunted about every game in WV, but mostly whitetails, bear and squirrel. Earlier this year I decided I was going to Idaho for my first archery elk hunt. At the same time, I was in need of new camo. I had forever been a Walmart / Cabela's camo guy, never understand those that spent over $100 for ONE PIECE! It was unfathomable to me.

After a ton of googling and reading reviews all over the web, I decided I liked the SKRE gear better than the big three of kuiu, first light, and sitka. Although the company was only a few years old, I couldn't find any negative reviews to speak of. I emailed Mike Wand at SKRE and told him my position and asked his advice, little did I know he was one of the owners. SUPER NICE GUY!!! He was a great salesman, and called me shortly after getting my email. We spent a good while on the phone, and he explained in detail about the company, their clothing system and the crazy good warranty / return policy. I never once felt pressured to make a purchase right then and he offered to talk any time I wanted.

After a few days of deliberation I called Mike back and got the Kiabab merino top and bottom, Hardscrabble pants and jacket. I also ordered the Ptarmigan puffy vest, and Hardscrabble gaiters(to be shipped mid summer.) All were ordered in the new Summit pattern as I felt it would be advantageous in my WV woods.

I was initially concerned that the merino baselayers were too thin to be effective, heck I could see through them with little effort. And the pants and jacket.... Boy were they light. I thought there is no way then can handle the mountains of WV, let alone the rugged Idaho mountains. So I called Mike and expressed my concerns. He assured me the baselayers would do their job, and the Hardscrabble pants and jacket were up to the job.

Earlier reviews complained that the fit was not true to size and you needed to order a size up. I had asked Mike about this and he said 2018 products run true to size. I can confirm they are perfectly true to size, from base layer to outer layer.

The baselayers are an athletic fit that feel like they were made for my body. Very comfortable, no itch from the wool, and they handled all my sweating like a champ. Even sitting still at 30 degrees after sweating, I didn't get chilled. Good stuff!

And the outer layers are tough too! We have a lot of briar thickets and laurel choked areas with nasty rocks that can rip or destroy lesser made clothes. I've been on about a dozen trips up and down and all around, the system performed perfectly. The DWR coating kept me dry I felt warm and very comfortable. Even sitting in damp/wet leaves, I never felt the dampness.

My favorite part about this clothing is the pocket arraingements on both the pants and jacket. They are in the perfect place. The pants pockets look weird with the placement, but they function flawless. Jacket pockets are great as well, inside and out. A lot of time and effort has gone into developing this gear and the fit and finish show it.

The camo pattern is all I hoped it would be. It blended in very nicely with trees, shrubs and the ground. Managed to kill a nice turkey wearing it to boot!

This is the first set of higher end clothing I've owned. I don't have a lot to compare it to, however I can't see anything else being any better, no matter the cost. I'm not sure what more I could say, if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks

PD Gohil
WV
f3db9e8662a617ba4afe60d6186d62f2.jpg
de1ec240dfb77a6252bb0ac1d3aa825a.jpg
7d04ee82a2c0a258f8bb95e811d92f1c.jpg
a9d9d995d6630fe9b56530049ffe43a4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
sounds like your first time experience buying "technical clothing" was about like mine, right down to the west virginia roots!! where ya from in WV? i grew up in southern WV

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I'm about an hour north of Beckley. I can't see me ever going back to cotton based clothing for hunting. EVER!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your experience with Mike Wand isn’t a fluke either. I’ve had the same no pressure, natural, knowledgeable, helpful conversions with him several times. Their design and quality are very impressive for how young the brand is, one would think they are a decade into it. They are my new go to, unless a screaming deal comes up in the classifieds

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Mike at SKRE is as stand up as they come, I have the Hard scrabble pants and will likely add more SKRE to my kit.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Got to test the water resistance of my SKRE gear this weekend. Nope, it's not waterproof. Lol, but it's darn nice. Hunted in what I'd call a hard drizzle for several hours and 95% of the water beaded up and ran off. My pants finly started soaking through at the knees after 2 hours. I was in and out of brush and high grass. It wasn't uncomfortable, but I could feel the dampness on my knees /shins. The gaiters i have on order should help a lot with that. Got home, hung it up and it was DRY in no time. Within 2 hours I'd say.

Big plus for he day........ VENTALATION. The size zippers on the legs and the pit zips were amazing for keeping me from overheating @65 degrees wearing my baselayers under the hardscrabble jacket and pants. Really cool stuff, both figuratively and literally.

This stuff is not rain gear nor is it advertised as such. But the DWR coating is really nice. I like it enough that I'm not taking dedicated rain gear to Idaho for September elk. Other than for an outright downpour, a poncho will suffice without problems.

Another shout out to SKRE, their great products and gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk