My son’s 2nd mule deer

Slim Jim

WKR
Well today here in my home state of NV, my son Tanner shot himself a great buck! Last year he got his first buck that a was a small 4 point and he was ecstatic about it. This year he was a little more than ecstatic, he was absolutely overjoyed after walking up on his deer. This deer was an old troll with mass and width! I couldn’t be happier for him.
When he drew this tag I began scouting the unit right away and found some really good bucks for him. I even patterned a really good 4x3 that bedded pretty much in the same place every day at about the same time. Here are some of the bucks scouted
c64f6afe45e2bdc43d1b7cb5df44e703.jpg

I scouted all the way up till 2 weeks ago and I still had tabs on a buck or 2 but they would bed not too far from a pretty good water source. Well this weekend when we showed up to hunt the water source was dry and the bucks had moved on. Oh we’ll plan B we knew of a spring not too far away and there was a burn in between the two areas so we decided to work a north face close by. While we glassed this morning we located some does with a big fork up high. As I continued to glass I noticed another buck on the ridgeline. After a quick looking over I asked my son if he’d like to shoot him and I got a quick response of “heck yeah dad!” I chuckled and quickly helped him get set up. We took our time getting him in the scope and ranged. After a quick dial on the scope he was ready go! I helped him stay on him and told him to wait until he is fully broadside and stopped to eat. After about 5 minutes of waiting for the perfect time he sent it deep at 450yards! Kaboom! He made a perfect shot! I had the whole thing on video so we watched it back to see were he hit him and it was a perfect shot! We waited about 45 minutes before heading up to were we last seen him. As we got close to where he shot him there he laid in his final resting place. 10 yards from where he shot him! I got there ahead of my boys so I got to see his face as he walked up on him. Ear to ear grin! We all high fived and group hugged for a minute before taking pics and getting him cut up.
8359c70b968492d76ee5447fbed1f416.jpg

0b725863a0d0192517eb94dca8eb2bfd.jpg

d5817a8fc15d806aa25ab2918d071096.jpg

A buck of a lifetime for this little one. I’m so proud of him for keeping his composure and taking his time on this buck to make sure he had an ethical shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Man what a good buck! Thanks for sharing the story. Tell him good job. And that’s a good shot, 450 yards is no cakewalk. #GoodDad.