My son’s CO whitetail

Titan_Bow

WKR
My son had a good tag this year, and this weekend was the first opportunity he had to really get out. My hopes were high, but I was hesitant as it’s usually another week before the rut really goes into high gear.
We drove out from the Front Range after he got out of school, and were running late due to a temporarily missplaced tag . Finally got out there and got camp set up. Saturday morning we got a later than wanted start and the sun was up before we got the stands set and settled in.
My hope was that bird hunters and duck hunters would be pushing deer, and/or bucks would be cruising. We set up on a line cottonwoods and thick brush that ran along a little dry flood channel. We had seen a couple of nice bucks bird dogging along on our walk in, so anticipation was high. We settled in and saw several more bucks out at 100-200 yards behind us. After an hour and a half or so, I was looking behind us when I suddenly heard footsteps coming. As I turn I spot the big buck 25 yards and going right down the line of cover i had my boy pointed towards. I look down and my son is already grabbing his bow and starts coming to full draw. The buck was moving at a pretty fast walk, so when he cleared some brush, I bleat at him and he freezes. A split second later and my son released. The shot was 22 yards, and the arrow hit a little higher and forward than I would have liked . The buck ran a few bounds then stopped and started walking away. I could see blood on both sides of him and watched him slowly walk off, flicking his tail and licking his nose. I knew he was hit good at that point but I was still a little concerned. We waited an hour and took up the trail. The blood trail was really good and we were seeing the bubbly blood of a lung hit. We slowly followed along and I started getting worried that he’d made it to the river and crossed. We are coming right up to the edge of the river when suddenly he appeared, laying in the high grass. My son was as excited as I think I’d ever seen him. The shot just clipped the top of the lungs and the buck made it a little over 200 yards.
This is his second archery buck and his second archery season. He was big bodied deer and had a really cool brow tine that almost looked like a small spike 3rd antler. I’m so proud of him, and yesterday will always be remembered as one of those days you just always wish for. Perfect weather, bucks cruising, and your son making a great shot on a dandy of a buck!

131176249c1a20840d560cb65b4c9043.plist
524738bd2a56cff2eed1578d0fac948c.jpg
611a505303fa2c6db4b38f1e6335181d.jpg
16427f618cb62d237242055c3d1e9459.plist
ae70753729009052722e9c49758b3d80.plist
8c37cc836a63d4d5fb62581df3badd7d.jpg

Congrats to your son on a nice CO whitetail. My hats off to you as well mentoring your young hunter. Great job!

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Market the sky camo. Can you tell us about the specs of his bow/arrow setup?

It’s the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro. He’s drawing a little over 40 lbs at 26”. He shoots Muzzy Phantoms without the bleeder blade, it zipped right through him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Fake news, we all know it's impossible to kill a deer while wearing anything blue!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Awesome deer! Congrats to your son!!

He was only about 12 ft up too. It’s all about movement and zero about camo pattern

sndmn11

WKR
It’s the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro. He’s drawing a little over 40 lbs at 26”. He shoots Muzzy Phantoms without the bleeder blade, it zipped right through him.

Do you have an idea on arrow weight? That is very similar to what my wife is shooting draw weight and length, so that is the reason why I am asking.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Do you have an idea on arrow weight? That is very similar to what my wife is shooting draw weight and length, so that is the reason why I am asking.

I’ve never weighed them but they are Easton Aftermath shafts. 8.8 gpi. I believe I cut them 28.5” BOP. Add 18g for the Easton aluminum insert, 18 gr for 3 Blazers, and 6gr for the Easton nock, that would be 393 grains total.

This is the second deer he’s shot with this setup and he’s had pass throughs on both of them. I attribute that mostly to the cut on contact Muzzy, shooting it 2 blade without bleeders, and some luck by not center punching on a rib.