My sons first elk hunt

Mpaschke7

FNG
Well this year was my sons first year hunting and first elk hunt. He put in a lot of work with Hunters safety, shooting practice, and cross country.

I was fortunate enough to fill my general elk tag during archery season, so this trip was just for him.

Our first day out we were in elk all day, but struggled to make a shooting opportunity. This was a bigger challenge than I expected as being able to walk quietly with a pack and rifle and quickly take a shot in the woods, is something I feel like seasoned hunters take for granted sometimes.

As we started the second day, we were able to glass up a few bulls in a meadow at the top of the mountain.

We snuck to the top of the mountain opposite the meadow (about 2.5 miles from camp).

At about 4 pm I was able to get a bull to answer from the timber across the meadow and started bugling back and forth.

As the bull would bugle we would try and answer then rush 50ish yards up hill. After about 45 minutes the bull and a small group of cows finally broke the tree line.

I could tell my son was excited as he was trying to get his rifle stable behind the shooting stick, but the barrel was shaking so bad. The bull continued to scream but wouldn’t turn while he searched for the source of our calling. Thankfully the bull stayed put for long enough for me to talk my son through his breathing and have him lean back against me and his pack to stabilize the rifle.

At 185 yards, my son made a perfect frontal shot on the bull with his 308. The bull spun and immediately fell, while the cows and another unseen bull ran away.

We got the bull cut up but ended up sleeping mountainside with less than ideal gear due to phone (gps) dying and no moon to try and find our way back. Either way it was a real camping experience that I was grateful to share with him. Two trips the next day and we had his bull out.

I hope his first year hunting will help keep him interested in the outdoors and help me to have a hunting partner for years to come

OP
Mpaschke7

Mpaschke7

FNG
6F7FB2D2-A6FE-4C60-AC62-0C7F67DD0BA5.jpeg

Attachments

• 0CA005F9-2B57-4481-8907-35289C4F6B4E.jpeg
    0CA005F9-2B57-4481-8907-35289C4F6B4E.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 099E0E30-D55A-4B86-8008-CA83BEE54680.jpeg
    099E0E30-D55A-4B86-8008-CA83BEE54680.jpeg
    720.2 KB · Views: 239
  • E1AE7454-615F-4901-8E1E-BF1D814D1307.jpeg
    E1AE7454-615F-4901-8E1E-BF1D814D1307.jpeg
    634.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 868C71A7-5A3C-42A7-9C37-CBDC7080D0A1.jpeg
    868C71A7-5A3C-42A7-9C37-CBDC7080D0A1.jpeg
    857.3 KB · Views: 171

GSPHUNTER

WKR
A real adventure for you and your son. You gave him something he will remember for the rest of life. congratulations to both of you, especial him.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations to the both you! Awesome story with awesome memories. My son is 6 years old and I can’t wait to take him out and make our own memories.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Great story and excellent hunt by you both. And how did I ever miss this story.....shame on me!

Eddie

I can't wait for that first elk hunt with my son. He got to go along with me on a turkey hunt this spring and I think it kicked his interest into high gear!

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations to both of you. Im sure it was a fantastic experience for you and your son.

Borofsky

FNG
This is great was getting ready to take my 8 yo out yo get his first elk. Thanks for the tale

jg58

FNG
Well this year was my sons first year hunting and first elk hunt. He put in a lot of work with Hunters safety, shooting practice, and cross country.

I was fortunate enough to fill my general elk tag during archery season, so this trip was just for him.

Our first day out we were in elk all day, but struggled to make a shooting opportunity. This was a bigger challenge than I expected as being able to walk quietly with a pack and rifle and quickly take a shot in the woods, is something I feel like seasoned hunters take for granted sometimes.

As we started the second day, we were able to glass up a few bulls in a meadow at the top of the mountain.

We snuck to the top of the mountain opposite the meadow (about 2.5 miles from camp).

At about 4 pm I was able to get a bull to answer from the timber across the meadow and started bugling back and forth.

As the bull would bugle we would try and answer then rush 50ish yards up hill. After about 45 minutes the bull and a small group of cows finally broke the tree line.

I could tell my son was excited as he was trying to get his rifle stable behind the shooting stick, but the barrel was shaking so bad. The bull continued to scream but wouldn’t turn while he searched for the source of our calling. Thankfully the bull stayed put for long enough for me to talk my son through his breathing and have him lean back against me and his pack to stabilize the rifle.

At 185 yards, my son made a perfect frontal shot on the bull with his 308. The bull spun and immediately fell, while the cows and another unseen bull ran away.

We got the bull cut up but ended up sleeping mountainside with less than ideal gear due to phone (gps) dying and no moon to try and find our way back. Either way it was a real camping experience that I was grateful to share with him. Two trips the next day and we had his bull out.

I hope his first year hunting will help keep him interested in the outdoors and help me to have a hunting partner for years to come
Awesome story!