My son’s first elk

TripleJ

WKR
My youngest son, who is 14, drew a late youth antlerless tag this year. Opening day was last Saturday, so me my dad and my son made the trek up to the north coast Friday after work and grabbed a motel room. We were met by my cousins’ son the next morning. He grew up in the area and knows it like the back of his hand. We drove up the mountain and parked short of the 1st glassing area in the dark. When we had shooting light, we walked into the area he wanted to glass to start the day. Within 5 or 10 minutes we had 2 cows spotted. After about an hour of hiking down in there and a couple attempts at setting up for a shot, we were able to get him set up on a log and he connected on his first elk! It was pretty awesome to be able to make it happen with my dad looking on too!

42314213-D4B6-4C31-B34F-C099A3E54DF8.jpeg48975BFC-590D-4C1B-A440-86476D59A9D6.jpeg3B15FA84-DC5D-477D-BBBE-FABC20F00121.jpeg

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Really GREAT! Congrats to your son! He got a really nice cow that looks super meaty and healthy. And great that 3 generations plus extended family got to participate in the outdoor experience. Wonderful and congrats again!

OP
TripleJ

TripleJ

WKR
That's fantastic. Really nice having grandpa along too! What rifle and cartridge was your boy shooting??

It was pretty special having the man that taught me how to hunt there for sure! My son used my Savage 270 WSM with 140 grain Accubonds.

Fowler530

WKR
Attaboy!!! (y) Big Congrats to your son on his first elk and to everyone that helped out! Great memories right there!!

My youngest son, who is 14, drew a late youth antlerless tag this year. Opening day was last Saturday, so me my dad and my son made the trek up to the north coast Friday after work and grabbed a motel room. We were met by my cousins’ son the next morning. He grew up in the area and knows it like the back of his hand. We drove up the mountain and parked short of the 1st glassing area in the dark. When we had shooting light, we walked into the area he wanted to glass to start the day. Within 5 or 10 minutes we had 2 cows spotted. After about an hour of hiking down in there and a couple attempts at setting up for a shot, we were able to get him set up on a log and he connected on his first elk! It was pretty awesome to be able to make it happen with my dad looking on too!

View attachment 143090View attachment 143091View attachment 143092
Awesome