My string snapped! DCS Archery Bowstrings - Or another?

BigWoods

WKR
Well I was drawing my Traverse yesterday and right before the valley, my string snapped.
IMG_20200616_204509.jpg

No harm to me other than a welt on my left pex. Bow looks OK, but I'm planning to bring it in to the local shop to have them look everything over for damage and get it restrung.

They recommended DCS Archery strings based here in New Hampshire at a cost of ~$180. Right now that sounds like a hard pill to swallow and I'd like to know if there's quality to back that. Does anyone have experience with these? They can also order in GAS strings for around $130 on a 6 week lead time.

I suppose as an option I could order something from Buckslayer, Catfish, or 60x, JBK which all seem to come up on threads, but I'd have to sweet talk the shop into putting them on for me (Are most shops OK with that?).

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Gorp2007

WKR
A set of ready-to-ship 60X for a Traverse with speed nocks installed will be right at $130 (mine are scheduled to arrive on Saturday). If you don't have your heart set on a particular brand I'd probably just get the GAS strings they've got in stock. Though I'd also hesitate to use a bow shop that would give me a hard time about putting on a different brand of string.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
A set of ready-to-ship 60X for a Traverse with speed nocks installed will be right at $130 (mine are scheduled to arrive on Saturday). If you don't have your heart set on a particular brand I'd probably just get the GAS strings they've got in stock. Though I'd also hesitate to use a bow shop that would give me a hard time about putting on a different brand of string.
Thanks for the input and price comparison! I've updated the original post to say they can order in custom GAS strings on about a 6 week lead time. Not a deal killer, but certainly demands some patience on my part.

Trial153

WKR
I use two of the best , Tom Parknson (ex wolverne ) and Johns Custom (Brethern) and both are way cheaper than those quotes. There are a boat load of good builders....check recent threads on AT

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Catfish Custom Strings is worth a call too. He's a pretty active member on Archery Talk and people there seem to love his quality and service. Prices on his website seem to be cheaper than a lot of the big name brands as well.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest GAS, but 6 weeks is a long time to wait with no bow. If you are looking to stay local contact Brian Visco at Viscosity bowstrings on Facebook. He has been building strings for a LONG time. I have never heard of DCS bowstrings so I got nothing there

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
I would suggest GAS, but 6 weeks is a long time to wait with no bow. If you are looking to stay local contact Brian Visco at Viscosity bowstrings on Facebook. He has been building strings for a LONG time. I have never heard of DCS bowstrings so I got nothing there
Thanks for the reference!

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
JBK builds great strings and is usually pretty quick. Usually 2-3 days. He also has some of the best pricing out there right now for a top quality string set. You could give him a call and see what his lead time looks like. There's no way I'd be waiting 6 weeks without my bow.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
JBK builds great strings and is usually pretty quick. Usually 2-3 days. He also has some of the best pricing out there right now for a top quality string set. You could give him a call and see what his lead time looks like. There's no way I'd be waiting 6 weeks without my bow.
Yeah that 6 weeks would be a tough pill to swallow especially since I won't be able to order them up till next week. That puts me less than a month from fall bear season to get the bow retuned and freshened up on form.

fatlander

WKR
Catfish, JBK, twisted-x and buckslayer would all get a call before waiting 6 weeks for GAS. Honestly, I’d probably call them first anyhow. Every single one of the guys I listed has the same guy picking up the phone that’s building your strings.

Those look like factory threads that blew apart. What did the shop say about Mathews making it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes, that must have been scary!
I did my research and found JBK to have really good feedback. I got a set and need to put them on but my bow currently shoots so well.

Did you have a ton of shots on that string/any signs that would cause it to fail? You might have pushed me to swap mine finally...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The set I got from Buckslayer was too long. They were already extremely twisted up to start with, and the draw weight was still light and the ATA was 1/2" long. I sent them back, he measured them under 100lbs and replied how much over they all were and said he'd fix them. He sent them back and everything was identical as before. I won't be ordering Buckslayer again.

Rob5589

WKR
Whichever way you go, don't wait too long to order. Most guys start getting busy this time of year.

Rob5589

WKR
The set I got from Buckslayer was too long. They were already extremely twisted up to start with, and the draw weight was still light and the ATA was 1/2" long. I sent them back, he measured them under 100lbs and replied how much over they all were and said he'd fix them. He sent them back and everything was identical as before. I won't be ordering Buckslayer again.
Crazy from one experience to another. I recently put some BS on my PSE Stinger. They only needed a few twists of the yoke to square up the idler and were perfectly in tune.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Crazy from one experience to another. I recently put some BS on my PSE Stinger. They only needed a few twists of the yoke to square up the idler and were perfectly in tune.

That's what I expect from every string builder. The lengths should be spot on for perfect specs, and the only thing needed should be adjusting the yokes for whether it's a left hand or right hand bow. I had already ordered up a set from John (Breathn) so when I took the Buckslayers off I put John's on and they were spot on.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Yikes, that must have been scary!
I did my research and found JBK to have really good feedback. I got a set and need to put them on but my bow currently shoots so well.

Did you have a ton of shots on that string/any signs that would cause it to fail? You might have pushed me to swap mine finally...
I think I was more dumbfounded than scared. Fortunately I didn't take anything hard on flesh. Had a pretty neat looking s-shaped welt just past my nipple (glad it missed!).

The strings were stock. I got the bow last February, but I can't say that I have a count of how many arrows have been sent through it...maybe 1500-2000. But that's just a guess. Servings seemed in decent shape with a bit of expected wear at the nocking point.

There's a part of me still trying to figure out what happened (like if I forgot to nock an arrow and dry fired) but I distinctly remember being very surprised the bow went off and am almost certain I had not yet anchored or even seen my pin. I'm also pretty sure I looked down to see the jaw on my release still closed. Really baffling. Peep sight is somewhere up in space. My D-Loop string was about 15' in front of where I was standing. The arrow is either in the weeds or one of my kids picked it up and put it back. If only I had a video...

packer58

WKR
Just put a set of Twisted X on my Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo, Shane Teel is easy to talk to and will do you right. My set was pretty much spot on with a few twists to the yoke legs for cam lean.

TravisIN

WKR
America’s best bowstrings make good strings and usually have a very quick turnaround. I usually get them within a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Is that the original string on your purchased Traverse bow?
How old?

First thing I did with my 2019 Vertix was have bow shop install custom ABB strings, after 100 shots on original Mathews string

edit: sorry now see your latest response while I was keying in my post