My string snapped! DCS Archery Bowstrings - Or another?

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Is that the original string on your purchased Traverse bow?
How old?

First thing I did with my 2019 Vertix was have bow shop install custom ABB strings, after 100 shots on original Mathews string
Yes that was original. From late February 2019. Bow was holding it's tune and peep was staying aligned so I figured it was holding fine...guess I should have been a bit more proactive swapping things out.

Hoot

WKR
Not Buckslayers fault, but I ordered a set from them, he doesnt send shipping information, and I have trouble with mail carriers delivering mail to the wrong house, or just leaving packages on the porch to blow away in the wind. After a couple weeks of hearing nothing, I reached out to Buckslayer to see if they had shipped, he looked and found tracking info that they had been delivered.
Anyway, I never got to try them out, and like I said, not his fault that my mail carrier sucks, but the way he talked to me in the few back and forth emails, I won't be sending him anymore money.

I also tried TOAD (Terry Built Original Archery Designs) out of texas, he has a lifetime warranty on his strings, but I couldnt get my bow in spec, and they came off relatively quickly. I will say they were the quietest strings I have tried.

I had a set of vapor trails, Ears (nickname) was great to deal with, but they accidentally sent me the incorrect length yoke for my top cam (prime), once I got that figured out I didnt even have to twist a cable they were dead on.

I've got a set of Gas Ghost XV strings on order, I just put on a new set of prime factory (free strings every 2 years) and they have been great so far...

All that to say, you are going to find people that have had issues with just about every string builder out there, and you will find lots of people that love them. You're just going to have to roll the dice...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yes that was original. From late February 2019. Bow was holding it's tune and peep was staying aligned so I figured it was holding fine...guess I should have been a bit more proactive swapping things out.

I don't know man........1500-2000 arrows is barely even breaking them in. I can shoot that many arrows in a month. I had over 30k arrows through my original ABB string set on my PSE and had every intention of changing them out very soon when I had a yoke loop break at full draw. For whatever reason I never really checked the yoke loops.....even though they are 1/2 the strands of the full cable and string. So totally my fault. But yours was certainly a fluke I would think.......unless something nicked the string and you didn't notice it.

OR Archer

WKR
$180 just for the strings? They better be something spectacular for that cost. I can get you a set of GAS Ghost XVs for a $100 plus $8 shipping. Pretty sure I have them in stock as well if you’re not picky on colors.

Rob5589

WKR
2000 firings is nothing on strings. Right now I shoot 20-30 shots a day in my garage to maintain form. I bet you nicked them somehow and didn't realize it.

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered som GAS custom strings for my VXR today. They said 5 weeks which I’m ok with because I ordered my bow during the lockdown, so there is no telling when it will arrive.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
$180 just for the strings? They better be something spectacular for that cost. I can get you a set of GAS Ghost XVs for a $100 plus $8 shipping. Pretty sure I have them in stock as well if you’re not picky on colors.
Really appreciate that! I'll PM you if I go that route. What sets the XV's off from other strings. I'm totally new to thinking about bowstrings and materials.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
I don't know man........1500-2000 arrows is barely even breaking them in. I can shoot that many arrows in a month. I had over 30k arrows through my original ABB string set on my PSE and had every intention of changing them out very soon when I had a yoke loop break at full draw. For whatever reason I never really checked the yoke loops.....even though they are 1/2 the strands of the full cable and string. So totally my fault. But yours was certainly a fluke I would think.......unless something nicked the string and you didn't notice it.

I believe it broke right at the nocking point. I may have a bit more count through that but yeah, it seems strange.

I'm tempted to reach out to Mathews on this one but I'm not 100% sure I didn't dry fire as events are a bit fuzzy - Like I'm about 90% sure that it broke on the draw and I looked down afterward to see my release still closed.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
Really appreciate that! I'll PM you if I go that route. What sets the XV's off from other strings. I'm totally new to thinking about bowstrings and materials.
Ghost XV is a material developed by GAS and manufactured by BCY and offered exclusively to GAS. Many bowstring materials are a blend of Vectran and Dyneema, like 452X. Ghost XV is also a blended material but the ratios are a little different than 452X.

Jimbob

WKR
As soon as I get a bow I set up the factory string then buy custom strings. The factory strings are a good back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Talked to the archery shop again and they can do GAS High Octain strings for $110. Is that a fair price and a decent product? They said the lead time is 3-6 weeks, which will be a hard wait, but since they need to rake over everything else, I'll probably bring them the extra business.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
Seems to be a fair price for decent 452X strings. I would still call around and find someone who can get you a set sooner, then just pay the shop $25-$30 to put them on. I would hope that the shop would be understanding and help you out if you are able to get strings in 3 days vs. waiting 6 weeks.

FWIW the GAS (ghost) strings I had on my Realm X had horrible peep rotation. No issues with my current buckslayers, or the 10+ sets of JBKs that I have installed.

Vaportrail used to be 2-3 days from order date to strings in hand. Looks like they still have a 3 day ship guarantee. I can't speak to the quality of VT as I haven't used them in years, but plenty of guys seem to like them.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Lots of guys on archerytalk that can get them faster than 5 weeks. Go take a look. Zero chance I’d wait 5 weeks. And I wouldn’t pay over 100 either.

Zac

WKR
Is that the original string on your purchased Traverse bow?
How old?

First thing I did with my 2019 Vertix was have bow shop install custom ABB strings, after 100 shots on original Mathews string

edit: sorry now see your latest response while I was keying in my post
That is for sure the best thing you can do to a new Mathews. IF I had to buy a new bow and not change the string, there is no way I'd be buying Mathews. That being said I did buy the VXR. Hoping this changes someday, but I won't hold my breath.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Well I brought the bow in to the local shop with intention to order in some GAS strings from them. They wanted me to give the DCS strings a try and not be without my for 6+ weeks so they managed to work the price down where I was comfortable.

I went with Buckskin and Winter Camo for colors. Servings are a combo of brown, blue and clear. Personally I think it looks real sharp with the EV2 and Stone bow.
20200710_114129.jpg

I only have a dozen arrows through them and need to re-sight the bow a bit (poundage might be up just a bit from where I had it), but I was surprised at how these quieted down an already quiet bow. Better back wall as well. I'll say that thus far I'm impressed.

satchamo

WKR
Man I just paid $75 for a new set for my traverse with speed nicks from archeryshack using a coupon code from here and I’m super happy with them. They timed and tuned up very easily.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Man I just paid $75 for a new set for my traverse with speed nicks from archeryshack using a coupon code from here and I’m super happy with them. They timed and tuned up very easily.

When I need stings next time, I'm intending to order some and have the local shop install them for me.

In this case with the string snapping just before full draw and everything needing to be looked over (fortunately no new parts were needed!) I think I would have spend just as much bringing in my own since labor was rolled into the cost of the strings. I was out the door for $130 which seems plenty fair.