My thoughts on the Stone Glacier Grumman

dank

FNG
Let me start by saying I really like SG as a company. I have one of their packs and it is incredible. I've talked with them on the phone and they seem like a cool crowd. With that being said, I just returned my Grumman to Scheels (so glad I could buy it there as this return was mandatory for me).

Let me start with the pros.
I thought the fit was great. I am 6'2" about 220 and the XL fit perfectly. It was an extremely comfortable jacket and very lightweight as expected. I think my Xl came in around 13 oz. The jacket's features were minimal but nice. I thought the pockets, zippers and hood were all great. I had heard of people annoyed with the elastic band in the hood messing with their ears but I had no issues there. Everything from a fit and feature perspective were excellent for me.

The cons.
I had read of people having durability issues with this jacket but I thought if I was just a little weary I could still get a lot of life out of it. I currently own a Montbell Alpine light down parka and that thing uses a 20D "ballistic" nylon. The face fabric on the Grumman is 15D so I figured it would be just a little more fragile than my Montbell. This was way wrong. While I do try to be cautious in my Montbell with snags, I have owned it since 2017 and have beat the crap out of it. I do a lot of hunting in thick timber and am not afraid to wear it as an outer layer on morning hikes (cold downhill hikes I won't overheat in down). Obviously in these cases I sometimes brush up against stuff and the Montbell's ballistic nylon is crazy tough. I have NEVER had a feather come out of my Montbell as long as I've owned it.

The Grumman, on the other hand, is a different story. I had only had it for less than two weeks and EVERY time I took it on and off I would notice feathers coming out of this thing. Giant, full length feathers too. This was extremely concerning. Keep in mind, with the price of this thing, I babied it like I had never babied a jacket in my life. I had not done any hiking or bush busting or anything either. Just regular walking around in open country. It was if the act of simply wearing it was enough to push feathers from the face fabric. To me, this is unacceptable: feathers coming out of down jackets make me cringe!

Maybe I have been spoiled by the Montbell's crazy durability but the Grumman will not cut it for me. While I know you can't expect a down jacket to be a brush buster I would at least like to be able to carefully lean back against a tree or rock or something without fear of destruction. I don't think this jacket could even handle that.

In addition, while the Montbell only has 4.8 oz of 800 fill (Grumman has 5.3 @ 850) it felt basically just as warm (too negligible of a difference to really quantify). Also the Montbell is only about an oz heavier!

FInally, the shine on this jacket is pretty significant. It is a beautiful looking jacket but when the sun lights it up I would worry game could see the glare from a looong ways away. Especially something like turkey hunting in a sit. However, if this was my only complaint I would certainly not have returned it.

At the end of the day I wanted to support SG and I was super excited about their product. I wish they would basically just copy their design but incorporate a 30D fabric or something and then it would still be super light but with so much more practicality.

As always, the caveat is that I only tried this one jacket. Maybe I got a bad one but I didn't even bother reaching out to SG as I could just tell this things fabric would never cut it for me. Still love SG, if they come out with something tougher I will be excited to check it out. I just can't afford to buy a new jacket every year and seeing feathers is to painful for me to except.

Good fit and features
Bad Durability
Glare is quite significant and concerning depending on hunt
Warmth is nothing to write home about in its class IMHO - but it's good

p.s. I wish I took a bunch of pictures to show what I'm talking about but I already returned it and when Scheels excepted my return it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders!! Glad to be free of that thing.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I hope they don’t redesign it to make it tougher (heavier)! There are close to no other jackets available in that weight range with that fill level (hooded). It’s a specialty/niche piece of gear, treat it as such and it’s perfect. Mine is going strong after two seasons. All that being said, if I was looking for one do-it-all puffy or durability, it wouldn’t be the Grumman, probably go with the ghar.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve personally found this jacket to be tougher than almost all the down ones I’ve ever owned. Make not mistake it’s ultralight and 15d isn’t bulletproof. But it’s pretty dang great for what it is, for me, and you’ve pointed out some really great reasons it isn’t for you that people can consider.

I’ve had exactly 1 feather bail on me since I got it, which was immediately after release. It sucks that happened to you and it’s good you posted you experience with it - I don’t think that means it is a bad product for everyone though. I have to say most guys just bash stuff and press on, and your comparison to another product and reasons you gave for bailing on the SG product were spot on - good experience to share.

sr80

WKR
No issues with feathers coming out of mine after 1.5 years. I did snag a small hole in the chest though, i will agree that the fabric is delicate. I do expect it to be somewhat delicate for being as light as it is.

OP
dank

dank

FNG
Hmmm. Sounds like it is certainly possible I got a lemon as far as the feathers protruding so easily. In two weeks of NON-daily wear I lost around ~5-8 feathers.

Or

maybe you guys are even MORE careful with yours than I was. However, I did not hunt or anything in this piece so I just know that, for me, I can not be as careful with this piece as may be required. Dam coat gave me anxiety! lmao

I do agree it is a specialty piece, and if the feathers didn't bother me, I'm sure I could have gotten a year or two of ultralight warmth with it if I was strict about when I used it but I did not believe this kind of usage could justify the price.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had my jacket for about 9 months now, and it’s been one of my best purchases. It was with me in my pack every time I went out, from September all the way through the end in January. When hunting with it, it didn’t come out of my pack until I got to my glassing spot, and when I went to move it went straight back to the pack. I remember initially I had lost a feather and was thinking just like you, this jacket can’t last. I had a couple more protrude out, but was lucky enough to have them not pull all the way out and I was able to work them back in. I can’t say to my knowledge that I’ve lost a feather since. I’m pretty cautious with the jacket, always pull it out of my bag and hang it up. So far I really don’t have many complaints with it, and I think if stored properly it should last longer than two years. I’m in Laramie as well, so it’s been getting a ton of use this year.
Go Pokes

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just got one a few weeks ago and have been wearing it casually. I haven’t had any durability issues but like others have stated I am really babying it and when I’m in the back country I’ll probably have my rain layer over it as a shell most of the time. If someone doesn’t like to deal with ultralight equipment and the fragility that comes with it, it’s probably not for them for sure.

I had a similar experience to the OP. I had 2 at one point and both lost feathers immediately. Just taking it on and off would get a small feather or two. I have the Skre puffy now and have had no issues. Same 5.2 Oz of 850 fill but with 30D fabric. That would be my recommendation if you're still in the market for a new puffy.

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the Grumman and had the same problems. The outer fabric seems so delicate. I prefer to go with RAB. The down jackets they produce are the best I have seen IMO. Try the electron pro or the neutrino pro.

Vandy321

WKR
Love the grumman pants...sold the grumman jacket.

There are far better puffy jackets available at that price point. Montbell alpine for one is 7.3oz of 800 fill, weights 13oz and is exponentially warmer for $300.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I've been a big fan of the Grumman puffy. It's actually one of my favorite pieces. I wore it hunting last year and wore it all winter non hunting. I haven't had any issues with quality or it being delicate. I've always been more careful when I wear down puffys anyway, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.