My turn...Shred my Gear List

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
It's my turn for the Rokslide faithful to review/critique my gear list...anything is fair game, and I'll consider and appreciate any/all input!

The plan is a mid-late September, archery elk hunt in the mountains of Idaho. We'll be hiking in a few miles to set up camp and start hunting. Ideally, we'll plan on hunting the same area for the full 8 days, while being able to hike back to the truck with a load of elk meat at least once during the week. But I've included packing all 8 days worth of food in to camp for now...

https://lighterpack.com/r/992oon

I'm fairly "green" at elk hunting and backcountry, so I'm looking for all the help I can get...I've spent a fair amount of time researching different options for all aspects, and think I am pretty well dialed in, so I feel it's time for people with more experience to let me know where I can improve!

Thanks in advance!

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
You are correct...in those instances, I have all of those items in a pullout/bag and thereby included the weight as a whole.

Such as my first aid section...all of those items were thrown in the ultralight pullout and weigh a combined 13oz.

Thanks for taking a look!

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Youve got a ton of stuff on there bro
Yea, I tried to include anything/everything I'll bring and list it separately, rather than just calling out a "possibles" kit or something and not detail it...it's my personality and checklist all in one, as my hunting buddy isn't always well prepared!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d leave out the moleskin it’s redundant of the leukotape. Just bring a a fresh full roll.

I don’t know Idaho to say much about your clothes. It looks like it would cover darn near anything. maybe people with experience can comb through that. The helium stuff scares me if the terrain is often wet and heavy brush. Some of your clothes is heavy, some is light. Assuming you want the lightest possible without sacrificing anything this area gets really expensive, my wallet tells me so.

Flash light and headlamp, I think you can justify both depending on the details of each. I use a small and light petzl bindi and maybe a flashlight. The fl throws a lot farther and is adjustable to a flood beam. Since my headlamp is only 2oz another 6 (including batteries) for the light is worth it to me in some situations.

If only hiking in a few miles and then hunting from a central camp weight is far less of an issue than if moving camp daily.
Maybe some small things you could adjust/leave but the biggest area I see is the water.
There has to be water near camp to spend 8 days there and you shouldn't need 100oz to walk 3 miles.
If you spend time training with a pack over the summer 60lbs wont be an issue and your day pack weight will be easy.

Jbehredt

WKR
Assuming decent fall weather with occasional scattered rain showers I’d leave a lot of that at home or maybe in the truck. Pack cover, weapon holder, pencil sharpener, down pants, writing gear, plastic sheet (have contractor bags), extra underwear ( I’d rather keep them on 8 days than have 4 day old drawls in my pack somewhere), one of the 3 types of wet wipes, moleskin, band aids, neosporin cotton balls, electrical tape, buckles, dromedary bag, gaiters, rain gloves, archery gear. Like I said some would be dependent on the forecast some would stay at the truck and some is redundant. For example, leukotape will cover band aids, moleskin and electrical tape. You’re only going to be a few miles from the truck, you don’t need to prepare for war.

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
If only hiking in a few miles and then hunting from a central camp weight is far less of an issue than if moving camp daily.
Maybe some small things you could adjust/leave but the biggest area I see is the water.
There has to be water near camp to spend 8 days there and you shouldn't need 100oz to walk 3 miles.
If you spend time training with a pack over the summer 60lbs wont be an issue and your day pack weight will be easy.
Great input...starting off with a full 3 liters of water just to hike in and setup camp would be overkill!

In previous day hunts, I've gone thru the full 3 liters as I get back to camp at night, but ought to be able to fill up for the start of each day...and won't need to hike in with a full bladder to start with.

Thanks!

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Since you're packing a charger, consider a rechargeable headlamp. I like my Nitecore NU25 - it's ultralight, and has a red lamp.

You could save an ounce on the piranta and get a taxidermy handle - $2.50 https://www.havalon.com/8p-handle-plastic

Personally, I find band-aids useless. Leukotape is far superior and multi purpose.
Thanks for the note on the Nitecore, I like that as an option...very lightweight and with a red led (with a pretty long run-time on red as well). Will definitely look into that!

Thanks!

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming decent fall weather with occasional scattered rain showers I’d leave a lot of that at home or maybe in the truck. Pack cover, weapon holder, pencil sharpener, down pants, writing gear, plastic sheet (have contractor bags), extra underwear ( I’d rather keep them on 8 days than have 4 day old drawls in my pack somewhere), one of the 3 types of wet wipes, moleskin, band aids, neosporin cotton balls, electrical tape, buckles, dromedary bag, gaiters, rain gloves, archery gear. Like I said some would be dependent on the forecast some would stay at the truck and some is redundant. For example, leukotape will cover band aids, moleskin and electrical tape. You’re only going to be a few miles from the truck, you don’t need to prepare for war.
Thanks for taking a look at my list and providing some input.

After thinking about it, I might lose the pack cover as I'd have options to cover it if need be (like a contractor bag).

Down pants are replacing base layers for me, in prior hunts, it was more of a pain to put on and take off base layers when I started to get cold while sitting/glassing, for the little warmth they provided. These down pants are very close to the same weight, but will provide more warmth and much easier application/removal for the times I would need/want them (if we have varying weather like previous days).

I have one type of wet wipe and some of the individually wrapped SportShield towelettes (for chafing if needed) - just have them split up in different pouches - will likely reduce the amount of towelettes I carry though to only a few total and leave the rest back at the truck if need be.

The rest of the miscellaneous gear you mentioned is stuff I've been mulling over as well, areas that I can/should trim back to slightly cut weight...so I appreciate the comments!

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
I’d leave out the moleskin it’s redundant of the leukotape. Just bring a a fresh full roll.

I don’t know Idaho to say much about your clothes. It looks like it would cover darn near anything. maybe people with experience can comb through that. The helium stuff scares me if the terrain is often wet and heavy brush. Some of your clothes is heavy, some is light. Assuming you want the lightest possible without sacrificing anything this area gets really expensive, my wallet tells me so.

Flash light and headlamp, I think you can justify both depending on the details of each. I use a small and light petzl bindi and maybe a flashlight. The fl throws a lot farther and is adjustable to a flood beam. Since my headlamp is only 2oz another 6 (including batteries) for the light is worth it to me in some situations.
What are your thoughts on clothing, from your experience, to improve my set-up? As you said, the wallet can start hurting by constantly improving, but I'm always looking for input...

The Skre Kaibab is a rather thin merino layer that I will wear regularily (170).
If a little more insulation is needed, the Skre Kanati is a heavier (300) merino layer that I'd throw on.
If we're sitting/glassing and it gets cold, I'd put on the down jacket.
Do you think the Kanati is the heavier piece that could be replaced for a lighter insulation piece?

Bottom
With the EB Guide Pro pants for regular duty, and down pants if I need more warmth while sitting/glassing, I feel like this area might be fairy "dialed in". But open to your thoughts as well!

Helium Rain Gear
I read some decent reviews on this gear regarding waterproofness and durability for their weight. On prior hunts I didn't need to use my rain gear, which was much heavier, so I decided to reduce the weight considerably while still having gear available if it were needed.

I'm going to look into lighter weight headlamps to potentially replace my current one, while still keeping my lightweight flashlight (as you said, it can be worth it in some situations - and I've used it several times).

Thanks again!

LandYacht

WKR
Drop the Kanati all together, you have a down jacket and rain jacket if you get cold.

Lots of your list depends on how far you are hiking in. 60 pounds is god awful compared to 50 each mile after 2.

You can easily get to 50 dropping some of those miscellaneous items you are mulling and the extra shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
UPDATED LIST HERE

I did some updating (created a new list), based on some of the feedback I've received from everyone thus far...I'm liking the poundage, and think it'd be reasonable to get there while not putting my hunt/comfort in jeopardy!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
UPDATED LIST HERE

I did some updating (created a new list), based on some of the feedback I've received from everyone thus far...I'm liking the poundage, and think it'd be reasonable to get there while not putting my hunt/comfort in jeopardy!

I didn’t see a mid layer but you removed the kanati. I was going to suggest a lighter mid, not eliminate it. It’s listed as 21oz, a simple fleece will be about half that.

Overall I think you’re at the point of the trip telling you what to change. If you want to get crazy I see several things that would drop another five pounds but it would also cost a lot.