My USA gear list

jm1607

WKR
Just wanted to share for fun...

I should have probably titled this the non-Chinese thread. I'm trying to my best effort to stay away from anything Chinese/Vietnam/India/Whatever made when possible. I know some people don't care, but it does make a difference to me. I obviously prefer made in the USA, but Western Europe and Japan are acceptable to me depending on the situation. With that being said, I don't think I'm making any compromises. I don't think there is anything Chinese that is considerably better than anything on my list. I do like my little jetboil alot though...

The only thing I didn't include on my list is most of my clothing which is First Lite and made in China, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that since all the "Big 3" are made in China. Plus, I really like and support First Lite as a company.

The list might get tweaked depending on the hunt, but this is the meat and potatoes:

Pack: Kifaru DT2 or Markhor with accessories (USA)
Tent: Bear Paw Wilderness Custom Pyratent (USA) with Kifaru tarp pole (USA) and MSR Groundhogs (USA)
Sleeping Bag: Feathered Friends Custom Condor 20 (USA)
Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Neotherm MAX (USA)
Shoes: Scarpa Activ SL (Italy)
Water Filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro (Switzerland)
Bladder: Source 3L (USA/Israel) and MSR 10L Dromedary (USA)
Binoculars: Zeiss Victory 10x42 (Germany) with Nimrod Harness (USA)
Scope/Tripod: Leica APO 62mm (Germany) with Outdoorsman Micro-panhead (USA) and Promaster XC525c tripod (China). Looking to trade out tripod for Slik 634 Pro CF (Japan)
Jacket: Kifaru Lost Parka (USA)
Rain Shell: Luke's Ultralight (USA)
Socks: Darn Tough (USA)
Gloves: Smartwool Merino (USA)
Beanie: Outdoor Research (USA)
Knife: Kestrel 5-hole S35VN (USA)
Rangefinder: Leica 1600B (Germany)
Headlamp: Petzl Tikka XP (France) and Petzl E-Lite (France)
Pack Cover: Jimmy Tarp (USA)
Mug: Snow Peak Titanium (Japan)
Meat Bags: TAG Bags (USA)
Cording: Various cords and guyline from Lawson Equipment (USA)
Stove: Jetboil SOL Ti modified/lightened (China). Could switch to MSR or Primus but probably won't cause I've gotten my Jetboil so damn light by modifying on it.

Note: I know that just because something is made in the USA doesn't mean all the materials came from here, but I'm doing the best I can! ;)

I don't care about supporting companies that support hunting as much, though I do take it into consideration. I kind of like the idea of posting a bloody deer selfie wearing one of their jackets as a big screw you lol..

I'm also always open to any ideas to improve my list, though I've been working on it for years and think I have it pretty fine tuned...

Last edited:

cody6510

Lil-Rokslider
I like this a lot. I also try to buy as much US made products as I can (not just hunting stuff). Awesome part is there is some phenomenal companies out there that support this hobby and make their products in the US. I typically find those companies back their products all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
I like this a lot. I also try to buy as much US made products as I can (not just hunting stuff). Awesome part is there is some phenomenal companies out there that support this hobby and make their products in the US. I typically find those companies back their products all the way.

Thanks man!

Very true. The closer to home they are the better service you get.

inupiat1

FNG
Most of my gear is U.S. surplus, thus technically made in the U.S. if you consider Peurto Rico U.S. The rest is Kifaru, Mountain People Gear or Mystery Ranch. I currently only prefer Swedish axes and hatchets (3 total) and I have a decent amount of Swiss stuff to match my Swiss Military bike. Oh, yeah, I have a Sedish Army Trangia SS mess kit.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
I work at buying made in the USA or at least an allied country. Off the top of my head a short list is
Kifaru DT1 Berry compliant
Kifaru Sawtooth Berry compliant
TiGoat WiFi stove
Western Mountaineering Kodiak
Winchester/Benchmark/McMillan rifle with Swarovski Z3 assembled in USA
Zamberlans made in Italy (NATO )
Swarovski ATX and EL's made in Austria (NATO)
Darn Tough socks
Military surplus UL Goretex rain gear Berry Compliant
The clothing is a mix of almost all SE Asian made unfortunately but I like the First Lite merino and Sitka Timberline pants I own.
I plan on chipping away at the clothing next year and a USA made pad when my Exped UL9 gives up.
Primus Express is Swedish made so not SE Asia.
FHF binocular harness
Platypus big zip 3L x2 and MSR Dromedary 10L x2

My loading room tools are almost all USA made except the Brown and Sharpe dial calipers made in Switzerland. Eliminated all the RCBS since many of the castings are Chinese. The Made in USA label quietly disappeared from most of their new products. Many small USA manufacturers in the reloading industry.

Last edited:
Beyond Clothing has started making some camo items that I think are Berry compliant. Also, if you watch ebay you can get their stuff for a fraction of the price.

Old thread, but appropriate for today with all the damage the 🇨🇳 Corona Virus has caused.

My USA Gear List (took years to build)
Pack: Mystery Ranch Metcalf W/NICE frame (USA made before they offshored...)
Shelter: VIAM Outdoors floorless Tarp
Sleeping: VIAM Outdoors custom quilt
Pad: Thermarest X-Lite
Misc. Pouches: Kifaru and Rugged Stitching
Rifle: Christensen Ridgeline
Scope: Leupold VX-5HD
Rings: Hawkins
Arca Plate on rifle: LivetohuntID’s titanium plate
Tripod: Really Right Stuff TFCT-24L or Kramer Designs (Depending on mood)
Bino Pouch: Alaska Guide Creations
Misc. Glassing: Outdoorsmans Studs and quick release panner
Glassing Seat Pad: Outdoorsmans or Thermarest (depending on mood)
Game Bags: Backcountry Borne (from Facebook)
Knife: Buck Fixed skeleton (forget model) and/or Benchmade high country
Stove: MSR Reactor is favorite (I do have an old USA made Jetboil and MSR XGK)
Bladder: MSR Dromedry (4L and 10L)
Misc.: Nalgene Bottle in Rugged Stitching belt carrier
Headlamp: Princeton Tec (Snap and/or EOS)
Soft Shell: are by Beyond Clothing
Rain: Mil Surplus Marpat that I modified
Mid Layer: Mil Surplus Fleece
Boots: Danner Thorofare
Socks: Darn Tough
Beanie: Smith or Carhart

I do have some foreign made gear too 😕
Range Finder: Vortex (China) Next big purchase will be Gunwerks G7
Binoculars: Swarovski (Germany)
Cell Phone: iPhone (China)
Communicator: Garmin InReach (China)
Down Puffy: Kuiu (China)
Pants: Wrangler Performance (foreign but forget where)
Trekking Poles: Leki (Yugoslavia)

I’m sure I’m missing a bunch, but those are the basics from my backpacking hunt kit.

TX_Diver

WKR
Think Exo Mountain Gear is Made in USA.

I thought AAE and Hamskea made their stuff here but I'm not seeing it on their website. PSE claims Made in USA. Don't think that was on my Hoyt though.

Origin Maine makes Jeans here.

Thank you for the lists. I’m trying to move to more US made companies.

hogstrong

FNG
I think in the kifarupodcast with TandK they talk about companys who pretend to produce in the USA when the majority of the production process is actually somewhere in Asia

Old thread, but appropriate for today with all the damage the 🇨🇳 Corona Virus has caused.

My USA Gear List (took years to build)
Pack: Mystery Ranch Metcalf W/NICE frame (USA made before they offshored...)
Shelter: VIAM Outdoors floorless Tarp
Sleeping: VIAM Outdoors custom quilt
Pad: Thermarest X-Lite
Misc. Pouches: Kifaru and Rugged Stitching
Rifle: Christensen Ridgeline
Scope: Leupold VX-5HD
Rings: Hawkins
Arca Plate on rifle: LivetohuntID’s titanium plate
Tripod: Really Right Stuff TFCT-24L or Kramer Designs (Depending on mood)
Bino Pouch: Alaska Guide Creations
Misc. Glassing: Outdoorsmans Studs and quick release panner
Glassing Seat Pad: Outdoorsmans or Thermarest (depending on mood)
Game Bags: Backcountry Borne (from Facebook)
Knife: Buck Fixed skeleton (forget model) and/or Benchmade high country
Stove: MSR Reactor is favorite (I do have an old USA made Jetboil and MSR XGK)
Bladder: MSR Dromedry (4L and 10L)
Misc.: Nalgene Bottle in Rugged Stitching belt carrier
Headlamp: Princeton Tec (Snap and/or EOS)
Soft Shell: are by Beyond Clothing
Rain: Mil Surplus Marpat that I modified
Mid Layer: Mil Surplus Fleece
Boots: Danner Thorofare
Socks: Darn Tough
Beanie: Smith or Carhart

I do have some foreign made gear too 😕
Range Finder: Vortex (China) Next big purchase will be Gunwerks G7
Binoculars: Swarovski (Germany)
Cell Phone: iPhone (China)
Communicator: Garmin InReach (China)
Down Puffy: Kuiu (China)
Pants: Wrangler Performance (foreign but forget where)
Trekking Poles: Leki (Yugoslavia)

I’m sure I’m missing a bunch, but those are the basics from my backpacking hunt kit.
Let's see a picture of this! Impressive!

Let's see a picture of this! Impressive!
Here is some clothing:
1. Upper left are Predator Camo made by Gray Wolf Woolens. Very high quality and comfortable, but not lightweight.
2. Middle top: Beyond Clothing L5 softshell pants and top. Water proof enough for most of my stuff. A little heavy but not warm on their own. Quiet and comfortable. I bought these on ebay.
3. Top right are ECWS Goretex wet weather jacket and trousers. I did some sewing modifications, added suspenders. I’ve had these close to 20 years I think and have worn all over. Extemely durable and waterproof. Not as feature rich as some of the import stuff, but functional.
4. Middle left are some made in USA Shirts by True Timber I picked up at Cabelas years ago. Good performance fabric, wear these all the time. I’m down to three shirts left and wish I had a dozen.
5. Middle are Danner Thorofare boots. So far so good.
6. Kenyon polartec pants. Kenyon makes a bunch of stuff in USA, these are good wearing under a shell in the snow or rain. Very warm and comfortable.
7. Bottom left are polarmax long underwear. I find these at sporting goods all the time and Made in USA
8. Bottom middle is a generic mil surplus fleece. You can find these on ebay cheap.
9. Outdoor Research glove liners made in USA (shells are imported)
10. Smith or Carhart beanies are made in USA
Not shown: Socks are Darn Tough. Belts are Bison made in USA. Smart wool briefs are made in USA.

77BA7AC7-0A5B-4CCA-9181-73423A5E61AF.jpeg
I need to find some good pants, maybe I’ll try Triple Aught Designs pretty soon.
For workwear, I buy jeans and stuff from All American Clothing.

b2one

WKR
Beyond clothing makes some great softshells - I have both a lighter weight softshell pant for warm temperatures, and also a heavy weight lined pair for cold weather. USA made, fit great, and very durable!

Also, Wild Things Tactical line is USA made and high-quality gear from a mountaineering company. I have had a couple of their polartec tops that have lasted for years.