My water setup

RoJo

WKR
I tried out a new water setup on a two-nighter over the weekend, and I am pretty pleased with the way it worked out. Some of you may find it useful.

To start with, I took a Kifaru spotting scope pocket that I purchased and decided not to use on the outside of my AMR, and attached it inside the pack as a hydration pocket using the two D-rings where the small pocket was attached that came with the pack (the small pocket is now a possibles pouch). To spread the weight of a full reservoir on three points rather than two, I installed a grommet in the pouch so I could suspend the reservoir (with paracord) from the center D-ring that I assume was intended for that purpose. The reservoir I chose is a 3-liter Hydrapak, and I am also carrying two 2-liter Sawyer pouches for camp water.

P1010056.jpg

P1010057.jpg

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
The Hydrapak reservoir came with a squeeze pump on the end of the drink tube. I had originally planned to remove it, but since I prefer drinking from a Nalgene I decided to keep the squeeze pump for filling the Nalgene, a cook pot, rinsing my toothbrush, etc. I ran the drink tube out the port in the AMR bag and down the left side of the Duplex frame. I secured the tube to one of the frame’s attachment points with a magnetic clip, and also clipped the pump to the webbing on the bag. I also installed a quick-release connector to attach my filter to. I also put a quick-release on a Sawyer pocket cap for the same reason (I noticed when I took the photo I had the wrong fitting on the Sawyer cap and swapped it).

P1010053.jpg

P1010052.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P1010059.jpg

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
For a filter, I really like my MSR Mini-Works. I know it is a bit on the bulky/heavy side, but it really isn’t bad, I trust it, it is field-cleanable, and I like that it attaches directly to the Nalgene. I carry a quick-release fitting on a short piece of tube for filling the hydration reservoir. The squeeze pump will even evacuate all the air from the reservoir before I refill it with the filter. I carry treatment tablets as a backup.

P1010054.jpg

P1010055.jpg

P1010060.jpg

P1010062.jpg

Hunter6

WKR
Looks nice. Is there a shutoff for the water tube like camelback reservoirs have. That way it doesn't leak on you or spill out if the bag is put on the squeeze pump.

---

Follow me on Instagram @hunter_hindman

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
The squeeze pump was on the whole weekend, except while refilling the reservoir with the filter, with no leaking issues (it has a cap). But a shutoff is not a bad idea...thanks.