My Western Optics journey

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
Hi. My name is Ben, and I'm an Opticolic. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here.

Only seven years ago I was using a Bushnell Sportsman 10x42 binocular from Walmart and a Simmons Blazer spotter (...also from Walmart). As a college graduation present (graduated at 30) I bought myself a Theron Saker 15-45x60 spotter. I think that's where it all began. I couldn't even begin to tell you all the different binoculars and spotters I've owned and/or fondled, and I sort of don't want to try and recount it all. I think I fell into a rut where I could almost get a sense of adventure looking for the best deal on the best optic, and I could do it while sitting at home with the wife and kids (she couldn't gripe about me 'being gone all the time'). I think I found Rokslide when navigating through optics reviews online. Hell, I even snuck out to CameraLand's store in Bethpage NY when we were visiting my inlaws Thanksgivings 2017. I'm pretty sure if I just worked overtime instead of "researching" what my next optical venture will be, then I'd have been able to pay cash for a dream western optics setup (and see -- right now I have an internal conflict over what that would even be!). Or maybe I should have used that time to get outdoors and actually see something... But I'm not that smart, you see.

Over the years I've 'worked' up to having a real nice setup (SLC HD 8x42, EL SV 12x50, and Meostar S2 30-60WA). You might think I'm about to say I'm going to upgrade to a BTX or ATX, but what's crazy is that I'm coming full circle to some of the more affordable options. I feel a bit defeated, but it's not all that bad. Without getting into detail, I had a bunch of unwanted bills recently hit and I sold pert near $4000 in optics to avoid credit card debt. That, along with the issues responsible for the bills (aka "life lessons"), helped me realize that my I may have let things get a hair bit out of control.

I sold the EL 12s and SLC 8s, and was trying to sell the Meostar S2. I still wanted to be effective at glassing, so my plan was to sell those three and purchase an SLC 15x to use in place of the S2 and EL 12s, and then use a cheaper pair of 8x binoculars that I already have. I figured I would have a net of $3500 to put toward bills. Well, after the 8s and 12s sold, I bought SLC HD 15x56s (on eBay) that were described as like new with no marks on the body or lenses. Hahaha... ohhh... so now I'm in the middle of returning them (I'll attach a couple pics). At any rate, that might have been a blessing in disguise as I was fortunate enough to just score a real decent deal on some Meostar 15s (which I've owned in the past, and actually gave my eyes some of the best "wow" factor I've experienced). So in the end I'll have the Meostar S2, Meostar 15x56, and I'll flip a coin between Bushnell Engage 8x42 and Monarch 7 8x30. Maybe after I catch up on things I'll try to get a nicer pair of 8x for around my neck (like maybe the Meostar 8x32, Maven B3, Monarch HG... or maybe I'll try something I haven't owned before).

My recent experiences have really put things into perspective: 1) Yes Alpha European glass is great, but when I'm honest with myself I don't have the extra money for the "best"; 2) That extra cost (often 2x or more) truly doesn't get you a much better instrument (maybe 0-7% overall); And 3) I was a far more effective hunter back when I just got outside with those Walmart Bushnells.

And now I'm going to step outside.

Attachments

• 20191211_152143.jpg
    20191211_152143.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 20191211_152804.jpg
    20191211_152804.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 224

DavePwns

WKR
Optics are extremely addicting to research, they are the big screen tvs of the backcountry. You can dream and wonder about what new animals you will find, the details you will see, and the places you will go with your new alpha optic arsenal.

I didnt really care about optics until i graduated college and moved to Az 5 years ago. I put down my diamondback 10x42 and picked up a used set of cabela's euro (meopta) hd 15x56 on here shortly after moving to az and they were the first good set of glass i'd ever really looked through. I loved those things and had so many cool experiences stomping around in the desert mountains and finding critters. I let my cabelas euro 15x56's go a couple of years ago in favor of some EL 12x50s. While i love the swaros, dang it i miss those euros. Definitely nothing wrong with meopta glass.

HookUp

WKR
I've used Swaro's and they dont make game appear that isn't there. I'm currently running middle of the road 12x50 and am really happy with them. I dont EVER feel like Im missing animals. Look at Randy Newberg kills tons of stuff with made in China Leupolds. Optics can be an expensive rabbit hole.

It is easy to fall into the trap of chasing the optics dragon where you obsess with chasing a new optic that promises to be that much brighter, crisp, etc. than what you already have. Very often these promises come back empty or if there is an improvement, the difference is so slight that you would never be able to notice unless you had both optics right next to each other. I'm not saying that there is no difference between a $800 and a $2500+ European Alpha bino, just that when you get to a certain level of optical quality then the law of diminishing returns really kicks into play.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I have been there. I have justified my obsession by quoting Jack O'Connor and old timers who said to buy the best glass you can afford.

While that may still be true, when they said it, optics were not what they are today, and I am guessing O'Connor would have happily hunted with my first binos, $140 from REI, if that is what he had to hunt with.

I can say from experience that Ben is good dude to deal with.

OP
B

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. Those adulterated SLC 15s are getting sent back today. Crazy how some people would treat something so nice (and expensive). And they don't even realize it sometimes.

I'm not completely sure why I took the time to write out that story. I guess I hope it helps someone be more content. I agree with the "buy the best you can afford" mindset, but caution that it's easy to overstep what a budget should be. In my case, I let my savings dwindle a little low so I could have the gear I wanted. I own a rental home in town that has also been sucking my funds dry. Keeping the rental in good repair is more important than my toys! If I was a pro/guide then it might be different.

I feel a bit like a scumbag, to be honest. The glass I'll be taking to the hills is far better than my setup of 7 years ago, and I can appreciate the fact that many guys out there are getting it done with far less (and often are far more successful than me!). And I almost feel like I put too much trust in my gear, expecting my Swaros to find the game for me. How dumb. Haha.

How does it go? The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem? Something like that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Matt G.

WKR
wow...I would of sent those back as soon as I opened the box. I find myself going down the rabbit hole trying to find the best for the budget and then need I need too...i figure pt what is best for family. is it really worth it. is the next tier in optics going to make a better hunter or keep you from going on that next trip because you ran out of money.. off it is vicious cycle. I can say that I go to this forum the most followed by the optics classified. I need to skip both and just go hunting... Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Enjoyed your honest reflection on optics, Ben.

While "buy the best" is good advice, "buy what best suites your hunting needs" is probably better advice.

If I am hunting Coues, you'd be hard pressed to persuade me to sell my SLC 15s and use lower priced point binoculars.

For other types hunts, I use SLC 10s. I love them. However, my Viper HD 8s would have worked just as well on the majority of those hunts. This is primarily due to the terrain.

Great post. And you're right. We need to do less obsessing over gear (especially optics) and just get outside more. That's where it really happens.

FWIW, I've owned 2 pairs of SLC's, countless pairs of other bins including Meoptas, Zeiss Conquests, Leica Trinovids, and a bunch of other stuff I can't even recall. And yet here I am rockin' a pair of Cabelas Outfitter HD's, a pair of 8x42 Viper HD's and an old pair of 8x32 Bushnell Legends and they do everything I need them to do. I'd be hard pressed to give up those Outfitter HD's or the Bushnell Legends. They are great bins.

chindits

WKR
Sorry can’t help you. I’d rather be in the field with my little 11-33 vortex looking at critters then thinking about optics, flinging arrows, or punching holes in paper with the latest magical bullet. Amazing the number of animals out there for when the hunters go home.

A couple good lessons here. One, it can be easy to fall into the “rabbit hole” of chasing the last 2-3% of optical quality, or just seeing if something is “better”.

The majority of guys that don’t sheep hunt or guide are probably best served with a pair of “lower alpha” $1,000 10x42 binos and a quality 65mm spotter. Then just hunt and stop worrying about it.

Sure, it would be nice to have a pair of 8x,10x,12x,15x, and 50,65, and 80mm spotters for every possible situation, but you’re going to leave most of it in the safe anyways, and may just end up wishing you’d brought something else when you actually get on the hunt.

Two, by buying quality stuff rather than mid level (I’ll use the term “junk”even though some of it is decent), it held its value and you could get some $ back when you needed it. If you’d done the “small $100-$200 upgrade at a time” route, you’d have several thousand $ tied up in stuff you’d be lucky to get 1/3 back on.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Funny reading through this thread because I am a gear junky I buy the best that I can when I can, that being said my best friend has killed a buck over 220" and is always knocking on 200" bucks all on general season units. He uses a rifle he won at an elk foundation raffle with a 10 pound trigger and tupperware stock and bushnell glass. It's not so much about the arrow it's about the Indian.

Beendare

WKR
A educated shopper can get some very good glass for much less than the big 3.

Rokslide has some fantastic comparisons...as does the birding sites.

OP
B

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
Funny reading through this thread because I am a gear junky I buy the best that I can when I can, that being said my best friend has killed a buck over 220" and is always knocking on 200" bucks all on general season units. He uses a rifle he won at an elk foundation raffle with a 10 pound trigger and tupperware stock and bushnell glass. It's not so much about the arrow it's about the Indian.

Yes sir, this buck (barely shy of 200") was taken back in my $40 Bushnell days. Notice also that everything I'm wearing (save the hat) was given to me by Uncle Sam. Maybe I should go back to cotton too? JK. I still like good gear as much as the next guy -- it's just not worth getting wrapped up in having the "best" if you don't get out there and actually use it.

Attachments

• BigBuck.jpg
    BigBuck.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 43

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Dandy buck, I've came close but never have broke the 200 mark. I sure could give up lots of stuff but definitely couldn't go back to cotton, clothing is the most important part because good clothing = comfort and the more comfortable you are the longer you'll stay in the field and the more opportunity you will have.