My Wife: Mission Accomplished

daiello91

FNG
When we bought our first home four years ago my wife said she wanted a pronghorn above the tv. Since that time, we’ve been working on achieving that goal for her. Mission accomplished.

With a fairly easy to draw, but not great quality pronghorn unit, we got her on a top notch animal despite 60 mph winds and impending storm that closed the roads for 48 hours!

After two days of looking through groups of lopes we snuck over a ridge to check on a bedded group. As she set the gun up, I glassed every animal.

“The fourth lope from the right. The first one laying down with its back to us, it’s the biggest buck we’ve seen! Shoot that one, he’s only a 155 yards. Take your time, but don’t dilly dally because one doe is looking right at us.”

I was near the muzzle break so I plugged my ears and closed my eyes. Unplugging my ears briefly I asked “you got him?”

“No.”

“Ok, you see the doe on the far right?”

“Yes.”

“Ok. You see the group of three to the left of that one?”

“Yes.”

“Good, he’s the one in that three with its back to us.”

“Got him. How’s the wind?”

“It’s good. In our face. And it’s only 155 yard shot. Shoot right behind the neck at spine height.”

“Ok.”

I close my eyes and plug my ears again... because I’m laying down right next to the muzzle break of a 7mm Rem Mag.

“BOOM. THUMP.”

“You got him! He’s hit. He’s Done!!”

A view of where it’ll go. We have lots of other animals on the other side of the room.

And here’s me helping drag a friend’s lope out after the snow storm and the roads opened back up.

Attachments

• 42345955-04D4-4DB5-9E5F-C843BA494933.jpeg
    42345955-04D4-4DB5-9E5F-C843BA494933.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Good stuff - and really good picture of your wife and her trophy!! Congrats to you both, that should look great on your wall. IMHO antelope mounts really look great due to their coloring.

Montyb

FNG
Nice! Tell your wife "well done!" I have yet to hunt Pronghorn, I bet they would be tough with a bow!

MB