My youngest boys first buck!

Slim Jim

WKR
Not everything in 2020 sucks lol. My youngest son drew his first deer tag this year! Before heading out this week I was a little worried about putting him on a good buck because of all the stories I’d been hearing from other hunters this season. I told him that we would work hard and hard work always pays off. Gotta stay positive right? The hunt began with the first day seeing a lot of does and a couple of bulls but no bucks. It was really warm and I said that if it cools down we’ll see some good bucks. Day 2 was more of the same. We glassed certain areas that we planned to hunt in the mornings, hiked to good vantage points in the middle of the day to glass, and sat water in the evenings. My boy was excited to build a makeshift blind for the evening hunts lol. He said that it was a cool fort.
bfed815231293beefeaf848b4795504b.jpg

Day 3 the temps dropped 15 degrees and first light when spotted a 190ish typical buck. The buck seen us while trying to set up for a shot and bolted. Kole (my boy) was really bummed and wanted to get to a vantage point and try to locate him but he wandered into a sea of junipers in the flats. Now Kole was zeroed in on getting after this buck. While trying to track him we kicked up the buck that he ended up harvesting but not yet. The buck was across a small canyon at 150 yards. While trying to set up for the shot, the buck disappeared over the ridge before he could shoot. I asked why he didn’t shoot and he told me that he didn’t have a good ethical shot on him. I said ok I respect that. Soon after that we headed back to a spring that we figured the big typical came off of and we located another group of does with a buck. We got out of the truck and I set him up for the shot and told him it’s only a big fork but it’s his tag and it’s up to him if he wants it. He looked at it and said “dad I want a wall hanger”. Now I’m really impressed with this kid. So much respect for him. The same evening of day 3 I asked him if he wanted to sit the same water and he said “yes dad because that big fork was chasing a hot doe and maybe a big buck will be tailing some does tonight”. As we sat the spring it got to the last 15 minutes of light before we seen some does coming in for a drink. I said to him “man it would be nice if one of these does were hot and a good buck was in tow”. Not 10 seconds later Kole looks at me says “dad, there’s the buck the got over the ridgeline!” He was cool as ice as I sat there with buck fever for him lol. We had a spot located for the shot and he set up for him to come into the lane. The shot would only be 175 yards and he made the perfect shot! Boom!! The buck only went 10 yards and tipped! So proud of the man he is becoming.
457bccd66502a97816b70b684f8d9819.jpg

f73184a67c725b207d1641bbe8bdada9.jpg

c16f9a4b0ef999a4aa8abc636bec65e6.jpg

As we walked up on his buck, he was so excited and I almost cried. His smile still hasn’t left his face. I couldn’t be more proud or happier for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not everything in 2020 sucks lol. My youngest son drew his first deer tag this year! Before heading out this week I was a little worried about putting him on a good buck because of all the stories I’d been hearing from other hunters this season. I told him that we would work hard and hard work always pays off. Gotta stay positive right? The hunt began with the first day seeing a lot of does and a couple of bulls but no bucks. It was really warm and I said that if it cools down we’ll see some good bucks. Day 2 was more of the same. We glassed certain areas that we planned to hunt in the mornings, hiked to good vantage points in the middle of the day to glass, and sat water in the evenings. My boy was excited to build a makeshift blind for the evening hunts lol. He said that it was a cool fort.

Day 3 the temps dropped 15 degrees and first light when spotted a 190ish typical buck. The buck seen us while trying to set up for a shot and bolted. Kole (my boy) was really bummed and wanted to get to a vantage point and try to locate him but he wandered into a sea of junipers in the flats. Now Kole was zeroed in on getting after this buck. While trying to track him we kicked up the buck that he ended up harvesting but not yet. The buck was across a small canyon at 150 yards. While trying to set up for the shot, the buck disappeared over the ridge before he could shoot. I asked why he didn’t shoot and he told me that he didn’t have a good ethical shot on him. I said ok I respect that. Soon after that we headed back to a spring that we figured the big typical came off of and we located another group of does with a buck. We got out of the truck and I set him up for the shot and told him it’s only a big fork but it’s his tag and it’s up to him if he wants it. He looked at it and said “dad I want a wall hanger”. Now I’m really impressed with this kid. So much respect for him. The same evening of day 3 I asked him if he wanted to sit the same water and he said “yes dad because that big fork was chasing a hot doe and maybe a big buck will be tailing some does tonight”. As we sat the spring it got to the last 15 minutes of light before we seen some does coming in for a drink. I said to him “man it would be nice if one of these does were hot and a good buck was in tow”. Not 10 seconds later Kole looks at me says “dad, there’s the buck the got over the ridgeline!” He was cool as ice as I sat there with buck fever for him lol. We had a spot located for the shot and he set up for him to come into the lane. The shot would only be 175 yards and he made the perfect shot! Boom!! The buck only went 10 yards and tipped! So proud of the man he is becoming.

As we walked up on his buck, he was so excited and I almost cried. His smile still hasn’t left his face. I couldn’t be more proud or happier for him.

It’s a brute!

Njpddet

FNG
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Congrats to both of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fowler530

WKR
Congrats to Kole on that great buck, the first of many more to come I’m sure!! Kudos to you dad as well for getting him involved and letting him make some decisions! 👍

crich

WKR
Man I started grinning ear to ear as I was scrolling down reading your post an those antler tips came into view on my screen. Great buck and an even greater memory. Sounds like you've raised a good kid and a have a great hunter in the making. 👍

Please tell him the guys on Rokslide said good job and good shooting!

ScottB

FNG

Heck yes. Great buck!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Congrats to Kole on that great buck, the first of many more to come I’m sure!! Kudos to you dad as well for getting him involved and letting him make some decisions!

Thank you and I’ll be sure to let him know

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Man I started grinning ear to ear as I was scrolling down reading your post an those antler tips came into view on my screen. Great buck and an even greater memory. Sounds like you've raised a good kid and a have a great hunter in the making.

Please tell him the guys on Rokslide said good job and good shooting!

Thank you! I’ll let him read these posts. I’m sure he’ll be happy to hear the good words.