MYOG: Binocular Harness

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I was quite fond of my simple setup that I developed for attaching my binoculars to my Exo pack. I've used that setup for the past 3 seasons without issue. I like the simplicity and have found no issues not having a padded pocket type setup. In the past few months I've taken up archery, and I can already foresee the stalks that will require me to drop my pack to get in closer. With that, I wanted to keep my optics on me, so the system I was using with my pack won't work. I don't love the idea of a "mini pack" sitting on my chest, and can't see a real need for pockets or lids, etc. I wasn't too worried about one handed operation, but it's easy to remove the binoculars from this harness with one hand, and with a bit of wiggling you can get them back in there with just one hand.
I used 1 1/2" webbing on the adjustable main chest strap as well as the vertical portion in the back. The entire front portion is essentially two layers of elastic, which creates a spot for the binoculars(fits my 10x32s up to my 12x50s), and also allows me to slide my rangefinder in on either side of the bino's. Also created a little loop of the webbing at each end where I can thread some tethers through for my rangefinder or even wind puffer etc. The rear vertical portion is then sewn to some 3/4" webbing up and over the shoulders. They're adjustable in length to accommodate extra layers or bigger optics if needed. I made sure all the buckles clear all the contact points of my pack to avoid any pressure points. I used some small 1/2" quick release buckles as I have with all my previous setups so I can swap back and forth between binoculars and harnesses on all of them.

32805996314_38e3214458_b.jpg

32834894983_527be34594_b.jpg

33264777090_3754851f25_b.jpg

33491998232_8749913270_b.jpg

33491998292_48b3489995_b.jpg

Here is my setup on my Exo pack mentioned:
15972292035_a57554acbb_b.jpg

15786289579_0d6fd37da2_b.jpg

OP
U

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
It doesn't bounce around at all. The 1.5" elastic is pretty firm, and with the adjustable buckle on the main torso strap, I can dial in the tension depending on the layers I'm wearing so that it's snug around my chest, but doesn't allow the optics to move at all.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but JReeves what are those little hooks that you have on your backpack setup called? been looking for those

KyleR1985

WKR
This looks great - I have a couple of questions for you...

Do you have any issue fishing the rangfinder out with your right hand being that it is kind of tucked up near your armpit?

And where did you source the 1.5" elastic webbing? I may try a similar build. I can't seem to make sense of a bino harness, it all seems too much.

Thanks for sharing.

KyleR1985

WKR
It doesn't bounce around at all. The 1.5" elastic is pretty firm, and with the adjustable buckle on the main torso strap, I can dial in the tension depending on the layers I'm wearing so that it's snug around my chest, but doesn't allow the optics to move at all.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but did you add Velcro as well for the adjustment tag end?

I built one almost identical, but used 2" webbing - only took me about a half hour. It holds a pair of 12x50's easily in place with no bouncing around. They're a little harder to fish out one handed than my 8x42's, but works great with both.

Thanks again for posting this, I can't stand regular bino harnesses. This was perfect.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome build! The rf is key! Don't forget your wind checker but that fits in a pants pocket.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KyleR1985

WKR
Used mine just like the OP's this past week on a hunt. I was the envy of everyone else toting large bulky harnesses. This thing is a winner. Only downside I can come up with is having to clean bino's a little more when it's dusty. Easy to make and purpose built. No frills...

OP
U

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Stoked to see some of you guys using this idea as motivation to make your own. I've been using mine for a few seasons now and love it! Only alterations I've made is to ditch the buckle on the side in lieu of a simple plastic webbing loop, as it's lower profile. This still allows adjustment via the velcro, but has to be put on like a shirt(pulled over your head) versus the buckle, but I think it's a worthy tradeoff for a sleeker setup. I also added a small webbing loop on the binocular retainment portion, so that I can re-insert the binoculars with one hand easier, by putting my pinky in the loop to pull it away from the chest. I'm actually thinking I'll make a new one, and omit the velcro altogether, as even with layers on, the stretch of the velcro accommodates that. The other modification/improvement is that I'll be using a slightly narrow elastic for retaining the optics(the foliage green portion as shown above). This will also aide in getting the binoculars back into storage mode, which I found a little tricky with my 12x50s one handed when stalking in with a bow.
I'll post up pictures when I get the new one together so you can visualize what I'm talking about.

OP
U

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my existing one, which has a few tweaks from the one posted originally. I never got around to making a new one, despite having all the materials set aside....