Mystery Ranch 2020

Looking hard at all the MR packs... been convincing myself for a few days to not get the Pintler or Pupup38, and just buy the Metcalf and be done with it. Considered getting the Marshall, since 2019's still on sale for great price and available in mediums, and then getting the Pintler bag-only for everything not multi-day. But I think Metcalf is just too solid an option on it's own.

IdahoHntr

WKR
Keep in mind the Blackovis offer is limited to XS and S sizes only as they liquidate the older model.

I was going to pull the trigger on a Metcalf but they don't have my size. Bummer because I was really liking that price.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure they are just clearing out all their inventory of the old packs. I was able to get a M from them just a week or two ago. I would click through all the different color and pack options because each one has different sizes available depending on what they have left in stock.

Hot_Rod51

FNG
I'm pretty sure they are just clearing out all their inventory of the old packs. I was able to get a M from them just a week or two ago. I would click through all the different color and pack options because each one has different sizes available depending on what they have left in stock.
Yeah I did that. All small.

You're correct, they're liquidating.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sobrbiker

WKR
Anyone know if 2020 Pintler bag only option will fit the older GuideLight frames?
Also I’m curious if the GLMT belt will be able to be retrofitted to the GL.
I’m feeling a little like I made a bad call buying a 2019 Cabinet (which pack itself fits my needs perfectly) since it looks like support (accessories) for the GL never developed much.

Is there any reason to NOT buy a 2019 Metcalf instead of the 2020 model.

Is the upgrades for this year worth the $125 I’ll be saving by going with the older model?

Trial153

WKR

Is the upgrades for this year worth the $125 I’ll be saving by going with the older model?
I would say the only FIX that made a difference to me is the fixxed molle straps on the belt. I own and used both versions.

Up to you if its worth the extra 100 bucks

Last edited:

bruno59

WKR
Anyone know if 2020 Pintler bag only option will fit the older GuideLight frames?
Also I’m curious if the GLMT belt will be able to be retrofitted to the GL.
I’m feeling a little like I made a bad call buying a 2019 Cabinet (which pack itself fits my needs perfectly) since it looks like support (accessories) for the GL never developed much.
The 2020 pintler pack will fit the GL frame but it uses different buckles you would have to switch buckles getting buckles for it would be easy same as kifaru itw buckles hudson supply or mil spec monkey as far as the belts they are not interchangeable

Neumann

FNG
So if I'm hoping to do some 3-5 day backpack hunts, I should be staying with the guide light frame then?
I’ve used the pop 18 as my main pack the last 2 years while having a base camp. Only enough room for my 15s one layer and some food Kill kit small med kit(to get me to my truck) added some pouches to the hip belt and clip rain gear in dry bag to it if needed. No way your making 3-5 days without using overload shelf to carry in supply’s but that’s more trips out to go back for stuff

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Yea that sucks

2020 Metcalf is on the new GuideLight MT frame with the quick release buckle for Overload Shelf mode, MOLLE on the 5-piece waistbelt (which also fits and carries better) as well as a few tweaks to the bag itself. Side zipper is longer and goes on the side of the stretch pockets (two instead of one for 2020) and there are tabs on the inside for the removable pocket. It is a pretty sweet setup.

Trial153

WKR
2020 Metcalf is on the new GuideLight MT frame with the quick release buckle for Overload Shelf mode, MOLLE on the 5-piece waistbelt (which also fits and carries better) as well as a few tweaks to the bag itself. Side zipper is longer and goes on the side of the stretch pockets (two instead of one for 2020) and there are tabs on the inside for the removable pocket. It is a pretty sweet setup.

Not sure why your quoting me?

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Just want to throw my recent experience in: I won a new 2020 MR Mashall on the GL MT frame, and I've been putting weight of 35-60lbs on it for some pack training. Gotta say it's super comfortable. Never tried the old GL frame, but this new one fits snugly, has really comfy shoulder and hip straps, has good lumbar support without slippage, holds the weight steady and is easily adjustable. The overload shelf is super easy to use. I picked up an Exo K3 4800 back before Christmas and I'd put the two very close in comfort for the same weight amounts.
Thinking to pick up the Pintler to have a small pack/large pack combo option on the GL MT frame.

OXN939

WKR
The MR guys do a Good run thru on some of the 2020 packs from gohunt.

***warning *** this video cost me $300 bucks on a pop up 38. Watch at your own risk.

Question for the guys with ton of MR experience, why is the Selway 60 not mentioned as an option? Looks like a pretty solid setup from everything I can see online.

OP
Desk Jockey
Question for the guys with ton of MR experience, why is the Selway 60 not mentioned as an option? Looks like a pretty solid setup from everything I can see online.

I am a fan of it. I ran a pack from their military line that was a 50L version of that design. It is a great pack. 60L is a bit of a tweeter size though and probably why it doesn’t get a lot of love. It is a little too big to be a daypack and not quite enough room for most on a longer (3+ day) trip. I preferred and used my Metcalf for anything more than one night.

OXN939

WKR
I am a fan of it. I ran a pack from their military line that was a 50L version of that design. It is a great pack. 60L is a bit of a tweeter size though and probably why it doesn’t get a lot of love. It is a little too big to be a daypack and not quite enough room for most on a longer (3+ day) trip. I preferred and used my Metcalf for anything more than one night.

I'm a smaller dude, so clothes and everything take up less volume for me than a lot of guys. Think that 60 could be just about perfect. My Osprey backpacking packs have always done quite well as day packs, but think I may send it on that Selway for a real deal backpacking gig I'm planning this year.

Looks like they updated the Marshall bag a little bit too. Made the front pockets big enough for full sized spotters, threw another full length zipper on the opposite side, added an ice axe loop and made the lid with backpack straps instead of the waist belt it had before.

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
As many have said, it's very frustrating that MR will not honor a truly modular system. The system is designed as modular but they WILL NOT OFFER IT. I have recently been in contact with them and their responses were that "they had no plans to introduce more bag only options." I hope what some of you have said is correct. However, I already own the BT and find it's too big for a 3-5 days for me. I asked them specifically, and they told me that "yes, I would have to purchase something that I do not need in order to get something that I do need" No regard given to what customers really need. I understand how it all works but it appears to be nothing more than a money thing. They have been told they will likely lose business over the whole issue but as of now it seems they don't care. It sucks, seems like the business model needs some attention.