Mystery Ranch 2020

Solid thread, considering selling my Beartooth 80 and purchasing a Metcalf now that it’s on the Guide Light MT frame. Am I losing out on anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Desk Jockey
I bought a beartooth last year. I have 6 nights under it and about 50 miles so not a long term perspective, but I like the new frame. More padding And Molle on the belt.

The beartooth bag bs Metcalf is a toss up IMO. Panel loader vs top loader is largly preference. My biggest gripe about my Metcalf was the lack of pockets on the bag. The OCD person in me likes the organization n the beartooth and it is nice to be able to reach the bottom of the pack without doing a bag dive or dump. While The organization pockets on the inside lid are nice but can’t be reached without opening the lid All the way. Beartooth listed capacity is 80L bs 70 for the Metcalf but The top loader and snow collar on the Metcalf make capacity functionally the same (ie you can cram an extra 10L in the metcalf).

bottom line, is I think it comes down to preference. I like to organize my gear based on what I need most often or urgently - snacks, rain jacket, puffy, emergency gear, foot care, sunscreen, water treatment - for years I packed that stuff in the top lid and outside pockets on my pack. I became a big fan of the torpedo pockets (big vertical pockets on the back of the pack) found on the Dana designs and mystery ranch packs like the marshal for this use. The lack of pockets on the Metcalf always bugged me. The beartooth solves this somewhat but the pockets are small and not as easily accessible.

For people on a budget, you can get the Terra frame bags on the gl mt frame for good price. The 50 l looks like the pintler but for $350.

NDGuy

WKR
Solid thread, considering selling my Beartooth 80 and purchasing a Metcalf now that it’s on the Guide Light MT frame. Am I losing out on anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would you sell your Beartooth for a Metcalf? Just don't like the bag?

OP
Desk Jockey
I just spoke to Mystery Ranch a few days ago and they are coming out with the Beartooth bag only hopefully by fall 2020.

meh. Not saying that they didn’t or wouldn’t say that but I will believe it when I see them on sale. They have talked about adding more bag only options for years.

I bought a beartooth and A sawtooth and sold one of the frames. I got a good enough deal on the sawtooth that I think I ended up paying about $175 for the bag once I sold and shipped the frame.

NDGuy

WKR
meh. Not saying that they didn’t or wouldn’t say that but I will believe it when I see them on sale. They have talked about adding more bag only options for years.
Think whatever you want but it came directly from them so not sure why they would lie about that. Maybe not this year but it is coming. I just wanted to give a heads up on people on the fence about what to buy.

Why would they not offer a large capacity bag? They have the mule and sawtooth so it would 100% make sense to offer one of the Metcalf, Marshall, Beartooth etc in a bag only option.

They said they won't switch to a bag only option for every bag just because of the added costs of production, packaging etc.

OP
Desk Jockey
Think whatever you want but it came directly from them so not sure why they would lie about that. Maybe not this year but it is coming. I just wanted to give a heads up on people on the fence about what to buy.

Why would they not offer a large capacity bag? They have the mule and sawtooth so it would 100% make sense to offer one of the Metcalf, Marshall, Beartooth etc in a bag only option.

They said they won't switch to a bag only option for every bag just because of the added costs of production, packaging etc.

Oh, I am not contradicting you and I believe they said it...and agree it would be great if they did it. I just know I have heard the same thing for a few years running And the bag only options remain fairly limited.

NDGuy

WKR
Oh, I am not contradicting you and I believe they said it...and agree it would be great if they did it. I just know I have heard the same thing for a few years running And the bag only options remain fairly limited.
Haha for sure. I just know I will be pumped to soon have the option to get the Beartooth pack when I need it. I have the Sawtooth now and like the design a lot.

yeah. IMO a pop up isn’t enough of a hauler to replace a full size pack. It’s a daypack that can haul a load of meat 1-2x per year.
they of course aren't as good as a full frame, but I do think you are under selling the pop up a bit. I have the 18 and have packed out 2 roosevelt bulls and several whole deer with mine. it does good enough that I won't go out of my way to switch to a hauler on second loads on elk unless it's really convenient (hauler in my pickup) I pretty much quit carrying a hauler frame around for the most part now, because i'm not too concerned with needing it. the pop up holds it's own.... very impressive for it's diminutive size.

it does better than my kuiu pack did.

Trial153

WKR
I packed out an elk last year with a pop up 18, was it as comfortable as my Guide lite frame or my duplex? No however the 10 days I wore the pop up without a load while hunting it was way more nible and comfortable then a full hight frame.
For hunting from base camp the pop up has lot going for it. I cant see being without one again ever. If i do anything it maybe moving from an 18 to a 28.

On another note this year we packed out a moose and caribou, both the pop up frame and guide light frame. No issues with the pop up with a decent load

Quant

FNG
I just spoke to Mystery Ranch a few days ago and they are coming out with the Beartooth bag only hopefully by fall 2020.

Pintler and Mule bag options are already sold out...hopefully their production can keep up.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I got a notification that the Pop Up 38 was available and placed an order to try it out. Hopefully it fits what I'm looking for.

mbailey25

WKR
I'm glad they went to the Guide Light MT frame. The gen1 was definitely good but I can feel a significant difference in the design and how it rides on my back/hips. Definitely a good upgrade. Last year I bought a sling load from a guy who was sewing some up for the GL frame and it worked out great. When I got my Beartooth I was really thinking how awesome it would be to have a sling load for the MT frame but they didn't make it. Months later.... (y)

Hot_Rod51

FNG
Anyone have any experience with the Terraframe series? Specifically the Terraframe 80.....

I know it's not marketed to hunters, but looking at the design it sure looks intriguing to me. Especially for the sale price I'm finding online right now.

OP
Desk Jockey
Anyone have any experience with the Terraframe series? Specifically the Terraframe 80.....

I know it's not marketed to hunters, but looking at the design it sure looks intriguing to me. Especially for the sale price I'm finding online right now.

I have played with them in the store. For 2020 they are now offered on the guidelight MT frame which is why you are seeing good discounts on the prior version.

sr80

WKR
for guys that have experience with the guide lite frame and the new MT frame. How would you compare the two? MT obviously looks more comfortable, are the shoulder straps more cushioned on the MT as well or just the belt upgrade?

OP
Desk Jockey
for guys that have experience with the guide lite frame and the new MT frame. How would you compare the two? MT obviously looks more comfortable, are the shoulder straps more cushioned on the MT as well or just the belt upgrade?

Belt padding is the most significant change IMO. More of it and better designed. The belt also stays tightened better. Molle added to belt as well.

Could not honestly say I notice a difference in the shoulder straps. The attachment point at the upper end of the frame is better designed to facilitate the use of the meat shelf. I don’t use mine enough to really notice it.

Overall, I think the new belt set up is a bonus. Is it worth it over a guide light frame? Meh. Depends on the cost and the person. You can get a 2020 Metcalf on the MT frame for $500. Black ovis (awesome folks) is selling the older version on the guide light for $360 shipped. That Is 30% difference. Can say it is 30% better? No. TBH it is a marginal improvement but probably not worth 30%/$150 to most.

I would expect a bunch of folks are going to snap up the older guide light versions on clearance so if you are going to get one now is the time before the size/color you want runs out.

Last edited: