Mystery Ranch 2020

Boudro9

FNG
I would love to see the Beartooth bag only options. Has any one made the daypack lid work with last years Sawtooth? Sounds like it inst suppose to be compatible. I bet there is a work around.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to see the Beartooth bag only options. Has any one made the daypack lid work with last years Sawtooth? Sounds like it inst suppose to be compatible. I bet there is a work around.
rear of the Sawtooth pack have tabs to connect your Daylid...this one was called Alpine Lid...no Shoulder straps...
RhpWNqE.jpg

Connected to the Front of Sawtooth Pack
qSGMwh8.jpg

Use the Compression Straps of the Sawtooth 45 to secure it from flopping around
laov9MR.jpg

Boudro9

FNG
rear of the Sawtooth pack have tabs to connect your Daylid...this one was called Alpine Lid...no Shoulder straps...
RhpWNqE.jpg

Connected to the Front of Sawtooth Pack
qSGMwh8.jpg

Use the Compression Straps of the Sawtooth 45 to secure it from flopping around
laov9MR.jpg
Awesome thank you

I’m curious to know the difference between the frames on the hunting line and those that are on the Terraframe backpacking line. One of their product videos refers to the Terraframe as having the Guide Lite frame. Considering the Terraframe Tri-zip 50 has 10 liters more capacity than the Pintler and is cheaper by $100. The only tangible differences I have found are the fabric weight and color selection. The actual load hauling capabilities appear identical. I’ve only used a cheap hauler frame from Sportsman’s for load hailing, and it’s not the greatest.

NDGuy

WKR
The Metcalf is their next bag only option last time I talked with them.

I’m curious to know the difference between the frames on the hunting line and those that are on the Terraframe backpacking line. One of their product videos refers to the Terraframe as having the Guide Lite frame. Considering the Terraframe Tri-zip 50 has 10 liters more capacity than the Pintler and is cheaper by $100. The only tangible differences I have found are the fabric weight and color selection. The actual load hauling capabilities appear identical. I’ve only used a cheap hauler frame from Sportsman’s for load hailing, and it’s not the greatest.

The Terraframe is rated for 150 pounds. That’s good enough for me. It’s a good value buy for sure.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider

I just bought a Terraframe 50. I came to the same conclusion and went with the Terraframe over the "hunting specific" packs. The Terraframe series have the Guide Light MT frame (same as the hunting specific packs), have the Overload feature and are rated to carry 150lbs, and are overall quite a bit more affordable than the ones marketed as "hunting specific" packs.

There are some slight different as you noted; the fabric (which still seems VERY durable), the buckles/hardware is slightly different (arguably every so slightly lesser quality or just different on the Terraframe packs). I have not handled or seen any of the hunting specific Mystery Ranch packs in person (Metcalf, Selway, etc.) and only have my Terraframe 50, so I'm only goin got what I've read regarding the other packs.

With that said, I came to the conclusion that the Terraframe series are more than adequate for hunting. As already mentioned they're rated to carry 150lbs, and seem to be used/marketed to those that need to haul awkward loads like those that build and maintain trails where they have to carry in awkward objects like chainsaws, axes, large amounts of water, etc. I've seen pictures of people strapping ammo cans to the overload system. I have full confidence in this pack and just think a lot of it is marketing, as many around these parts go way over the top and will definitely spend more if the marketing people tell them they have to. I also think some of it has to do with Mystery Ranch not wanted to "cross contaminate" and offend one demographic by trying to market the same pack that they market to hunters to the backpacking crowd, who arguably may be more anti-hunter/hippie/granola. If you watch the videos put out by Mystery Ranch for the Terraframe Series there's absolutely no mention of using the pack for hunting or using the Overload feature for carrying and packing out meat/game, and instead they suggest award objects like tents, trail maintenance tools, etc., yet it's the same frame and same Overload/extendable shelf system seem used on the hunting specific packs.

I recently got the Terraframe 50 in Loden from REI for $280 during the Memorial Day sale. I plan on using for everything from single day hunting trips and scouting trips to multi-day (1-3 night) backpacking trips. Would be nice if it had a side access zipper like the Metcalf has, bit not for at least $100+ more. Plus, I'm new to the sport of hunting. If I was a legit hunter that was going out all the time and doing a lot of multi-day trips day in day out I'd probably bump up to the Metcalf, but for someone who's a no rookie nie and may not even get out this season (just bought my first rifle, finishing up my hunter safety course and need to get good at shooting the rifle safely and accurately first) and in the meantime will be using the pack for some quick overnighter and multi-day backpacking trips the Terraframe 50 is more than enough pack.

Figure out which pack as far as features and volume will serve you best. If one of the Terraframe packs tick off all your boxes then I'd say go for it, but in some cases it may not be worth it and it may be better to dig into your pockets a little deeper if it means spending more to get exactly what you want/need.

7ozQosN.png

Last edited:
Is anyone "between sizes" disappointed they sized down (per the MR recommendation)? I'm pretty sure I will be happy with the M I ordered, but I'm a 6'2.5 guy who is very used to everything I own being a L (even XL or L/XL sometimes with weird brands). My waist is only 32 inches and my torso is right at the upper limit for Medium, so on paper it looks like the Medium should work.

I know I should have tried them on before buying, but I did also buy a 2nd pack in L so I can experiment and ultimately sell 1 of them if I don't like the fit.

I was between sizes (S/M) and I sized down per their recommendations. I’m very happy that I did so, seems to fit pretty well and I still have a lot of adjustment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nastynick

FNG
Right now you can get a guide lite frame and option of bag on Black Ovis for almost the same price as a new pop up 28-38. I mostly hunt whitetails in Wisconsin, but try to head out west once a year. In everyone opinion, for the same cost, which would you go for? I run a saddle hunting system for whitetails with sticks and a saddle platform.
I’ve run the Metcalf for whitetail in Ohio, I run and gun with a Lone Wolf hang on and sticks. It is okay for that purpose but lacks the easy organization I wanted while in the tree. I actually started to use a large waste pack that I attached to my stand and used the stand as a load hauler. The waste pack was better and smaller to organize. The big pocket on the Metcalf wasn’t that useful for me when tree stand hunting and having to access gear. If you’re packing really far in for whitetail and need to pack lots of bulky clothes then it could work and it packs down small when empty. If I were to pick between the Metcalf and the pop-up to share the work of western and whitetail I’d take the Metcalf. But there are better tree stand compatible options in my opinion. The Metcalf is great for western backpack hunting though.

Skee7533

FNG
I just bought a Terraframe 50. I came to the same conclusion and went with the Terraframe over the "hunting specific" packs. The Terraframe series have the Guide Light MT frame (same as the hunting specific packs), have the Overload feature and are rated to carry 150lbs, and are overall quite a bit more affordable than the ones marketed as "hunting specific" packs.

There are some slight different as you noted; the fabric (which still seems VERY durable), the buckles/hardware is slightly different (arguably every so slightly lesser quality or just different on the Terraframe packs). I have not handled or seen any of the hunting specific Mystery Ranch packs in person (Metcalf, Selway, etc.) and only have my Terraframe 50, so I'm only goin got what I've read regarding the other packs.

With that said, I came to the conclusion that the Terraframe series are more than adequate for hunting. As already mentioned they're rated to carry 150lbs, and seem to be used/marketed to those that need to haul awkward loads like those that build and maintain trails where they have to carry in awkward objects like chainsaws, axes, large amounts of water, etc. I've seen pictures of people strapping ammo cans to the overload system. I have full confidence in this pack and just think a lot of it is marketing, as many around these parts go way over the top and will definitely spend more if the marketing people tell them they have to. I also think some of it has to do with Mystery Ranch not wanted to "cross contaminate" and offend one demographic by trying to market the same pack that they market to hunters to the backpacking crowd, who arguably may be more anti-hunter/hippie/granola. If you watch the videos put out by Mystery Ranch for the Terraframe Series there's absolutely no mention of using the pack for hunting or using the Overload feature for carrying and packing out meat/game, and instead they suggest award objects like tents, trail maintenance tools, etc., yet it's the same frame and same Overload/extendable shelf system seem used on the hunting specific packs.

I recently got the Terraframe 50 in Loden from REI for $280 during the Memorial Day sale. I plan on using for everything from single day hunting trips and scouting trips to multi-day (1-3 night) backpacking trips. Would be nice if it had a side access zipper like the Metcalf has, bit not for at least $100+ more. Plus, I'm new to the sport of hunting. If I was a legit hunter that was going out all the time and doing a lot of multi-day trips day in day out I'd probably bump up to the Metcalf, but for someone who's a no rookie nie and may not even get out this season (just bought my first rifle, finishing up my hunter safety course and need to get good at shooting the rifle safely and accurately first) and in the meantime will be using the pack for some quick overnighter and multi-day backpacking trips the Terraframe 50 is more than enough pack.

Figure out which pack as far as features and volume will serve you best. If one of the Terraframe packs tick off all your boxes then I'd say go for it, but in some cases it may not be worth it and it may be better to dig into your pockets a little deeper if it means spending more to get exactly what you want/need.

7ozQosN.png
Plan on running the terraframe 50 this year also. I will update everyone at the end of the season but so far in training it has done well.

A few threads on this already but the new packs are up on their site.

- 38 liter pack for the pop up line.
- load sling for guidelight MT frame
- some new offerings for the ladies
- looks like all The hunting packs are on the guidelight MT frame now except the cabinet.
- some new colors including subalpine for the sitka fanboy crowd.

i am probably most excited about the bigger pop up. Might have to upgrade my 28 when they arrive. No Indciation of when the new stuff will be in stock.
I am curious about what you see as being the benefit of the 38 vs. the 28? Simply more room? I am looking at these two packs and trying to decide between them for a capable day pack. I try not to carry very much as I am getting older...

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Update on bag availability. I spoke with a rep from MR last week regarding bag only options. I was told they would be offering the Beartooth as the only large hunting pack as a bag only option. Guess we'll see when they finally post it...

OP
Desk Jockey
I am curious about what you see as being the benefit of the 38 vs. the 28? Simply more room? I am looking at these two packs and trying to decide between them for a capable day pack. I try not to carry very much as I am getting older...

both are fine. I carry layersin my pack for late season bow Hunting. The 28 was not big enough to hold my clothes and gear so I ended up with a sawtooth in lathe season.

For those who may know - MR's stock seems to be flushing out. Is this the typical pattern of MR through out the year, making way for new items for 2021?

Popper

FNG
Are the pintler and mule bag only options setup for the guide light MT frame or the guide light frame? Just ordered a metcalf and was looking at running 1 of the smaller bag only options but the description mentions the "guide light"

Jon

bruno59

WKR
Are the pintler and mule bag only options setup for the guide light MT frame or the guide light frame? Just ordered a metcalf and was looking at running 1 of the smaller bag only options but the description mentions the "guide light"

Jon
The newest version of those bags fit the guide lite mt frame just make sure you order the new version with the new SJ buckles