Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 for packing moose

Trying to find some load ratings on the Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 pack. Looking to take it on a moose hunt this Sept. Are these packs feasible to pack moose quarters in or is an external frame pack required?

mooster

WKR
you'll need a frame especially if your in a bone in unit. we hunted a lake & feeder streams, but ended up killing our moose inland, luckily had frames and meat slings to tote the loads

OP
L
you'll need a frame especially if your in a bone in unit. we hunted a lake & feeder streams, but ended up killing our moose inland, luckily had frames and meat slings to tote the loads
I did learn just now that it is NOT a bone in area - so that's a plus. Sounds like a guy may be able to get away with this type of pack, just make more trips, beings meat can be removed from the bone? Of course the goal is to kill them as close to the river or camp as possible.

mooster

WKR
that's a lot of trips. hauling quarters and ribs cut in half, it still took my son and I over 8 hours to cut and portage our moose one half mile to the lake from the kill site on level ground, pretty easy walking. Largely once we had it peeled open and the first quarter removed, I cut and he hauled the whole time. I would hate to know how many additional trips would be required if he could only carry what would fit inside a pack as opposed to what would be lashed onto a pack in a meat sling. I hope others can chime in with their n=1 or more experiences.

tam9492

WKR
Trying to find some load ratings on the Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 pack. Looking to take it on a moose hunt this Sept. Are these packs feasible to pack moose quarters in or is an external frame pack required?
Just to clarify, the Beartooth is an external frame pack.

OP
L
Just to clarify, the Beartooth is an external frame pack.
Yes, that is accurate. I'm a midwest whitetail hunter so not familiar with all these fancy packs. I was shocked when the latest and greatest packs for western hunts excluded a solid external frame and meat shelf. I really had a hard time envisioning a large quarter of a moose or even elk fitting in these new external frame type packs. This article and pics really opened my mind... I think this is a bit of a stretch from what we'll have to work with, beings we can debone meat, but still a helpful article to get a vision in my mind how this pack will handle XXL loads of weight.

mooster

WKR
I thought you were suggesting loading meat inside the bag as opposed to a meat shelf or on a frame. Sorry if I was confused.