Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 - Slip

Sasman

FNG
Hello, just got in my Beartooth 80 and I’m having problems with the back (lumbar pad area) slipping under load. I was wondering if the OV mean pad would work for the New Beartooth 80 guidelight MT frame? Or if anyone has used anti stick material on their MR lumbar pad? Or any other suggestions?

JD619er

WKR
Man I'm surprised your getting slip. I've had every frame out there pretty much and the new lumbar on the MT frame gives me the most evenly spaced contacted out of every one I've tried. And I have a curved back. Hope you figure it out

I was having some minor issues with slip and back pain with my Sawtooth 45. Turns out, the yoke wasnt adjusted quite right for me under load. Mystery Ranch told me typically they recommend adjusting yoke height with the pack empty (which i did) but that some users require more fine tuning under heavy load. The top of the yoke should be no more than 1-2 inches below your C7 vertebra so make sure that is where it is with your pack loaded. You can also cant the waist belt to see if that helps. I'd definitely recommend giving them a call as they were extremely helpful getting mine dialed in perfectly. Now mine does not slip at all and is very comfortable even under heavy load.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I only have a Sawtooth 45 and unfortunately I haven't taken it out on a longer hike, but, I do a bit of walkabout in our parking structure at work.
I fill it up with as much gear as I could and "walk" 5 stories of the parking structure. I'll do two repetition and see if I need adjustments. At the yoke facing your back, you'll notice some horizontal lines
FPVK6sQ.jpg

Use these lines to adjust up and down until you find that sweet spot on your back. You may have to cinch above the belly button. See red arrow, that may be above your belly button. Start from there, gravity will bring it to the curve of your back
eOEVV8A.jpg

Cinch belt as if to criss-cross diagonally doing down to the center vs parallel to the ground, like a traditional belt.
LSERa73.jpg

If done correctly, the pack will "rest" on your pelvis and your lower back. The weight will be distributed on the pelvis vs on your shoulders.

If your yoke/ shoulder harness is too high, there will be an obvious gap between your shoulder blade and the harness.
Adjust your yoke accordingly by using those horizontal lines
FPVK6sQ.jpg

This is how another member here, helped me with fitting problem with my Pintler on a Guidelight.

I'm still adjusting my Guidelight MT for my Sawtooth by adjusting weight/ gears in the pack.

Hope this help.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Just to follow up on the OV MEAN pad fitting over the Guidelight MT frame

comments in the pictures

With the OV MEAN PAD, I don't have to choke my beer gut to prevent slippage. Hell, I even actually loosen the belt and pack stayed where it needs to be. Plus, there's air circulation between my upper and lower back.

More close ups of the OV MEAN PAD

Scwoody1

FNG
My sawtooth took a bit of time to get right, but it is rock solid... I haven’t tested anything over 65lbs yet though.

Ram94

WKR
Hey guys, old thread I know...but I figure this is the place to ask.

I’m eyeing up a Beartooth 80 and am unable to try them on first as I live out in the boonies. I currently use a Metcalf in medium and the belt fits good.

The new sizing chart puts me needing a large frame (I’m 6’3”) and a medium belt. (35” waist)

It’s a bit of a pain to mismatch the sizes on short notice before the season starts so I’m wondering if anyone here has similar measurements can comment on whether or not the large belt would work for me or not? Would it bottom out? It says 35”-40” but I’m on the bottom end of that range. The medium goes up to 36”.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a large
Pintler and was bottoming out the belt. Called MR and bought the medium belt. Simple install and fit is much better. Give them a call.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
33 to 36 depending on the time of year and pants/shorts worn. I had way too much strap hanging out. Now I dont have much and can cinch it up better.

Ram94

WKR
33 to 36 depending on the time of year and pants/shorts worn. I had way too much strap hanging out. Now I dont have much and can cinch it up better.

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, old thread I know...but I figure this is the place to ask.

I’m eyeing up a Beartooth 80 and am unable to try them on first as I live out in the boonies. I currently use a Metcalf in medium and the belt fits good.

The new sizing chart puts me needing a large frame (I’m 6’3”) and a medium belt. (35” waist)

It’s a bit of a pain to mismatch the sizes on short notice before the season starts so I’m wondering if anyone here has similar measurements can comment on whether or not the large belt would work for me or not? Would it bottom out? It says 35”-40” but I’m on the bottom end of that range. The medium goes up to 36”.

Thanks

I'm 6'3" 235 lbs 35" waist and the "Large" sized Guide Lite MT frame/yoke/belt combination fits me very well.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Should be good. Bought a Pintler in large and went back to order the medium belt. FIts better. DIdn't go with the medium as I would have been at the upper end of the adjustment. Probably could have got away wtih a medium. If you find you do need a large belt, I have a set you could buy.

Ram94

WKR
Should be good. Bought a Pintler in large and went back to order the medium belt. FIts better. DIdn't go with the medium as I would have been at the upper end of the adjustment. Probably could have got away wtih a medium. If you find you do need a large belt, I have a set you could buy.

I appreciate that! Will keep that in mind.

Ram94

WKR
Update:

Swapped the medium out for a large and the fit is much better. I am 6’3” 205lbs with a 20” torso and 35” waist.

There is still 3” between the hip pads on the front and the yoke feels much better. The large yoke has a longer and wider shoulder harness.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my BT80 for a while now and never experienced any slippage. I was on a bear hunt in Southeast Alaska last week and I swapped the Mule into the frame for day hunts. I hauled two bear hides and a wolf out in the frame. My bear hide and pack combo was a little under 100 pounds, 99.6 according to the luggage scale on the boat. I cinched every strap as tight as I could get it but the pack slipped and came loose the whole walk back. We were wading in thigh to waist deep water through a river for about a mile and a half. I’m not sure if the slipping came from the belt getting wet, the sheer weight with the Mule being on the frame, or that I was wearing waders.
I carried the second bear and wolf hides out at the same time two days later and didn’t have any problems. The only difference this time was that I actually readjusted the load lifters to where they were not as tight. That seemed to relive a little pressure off of the bottom. It was almost as if the load lifters were working against the rest of the pack.