Mystery Ranch Gets 'Woke' - Dives into Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ok I will go out in a limb and say you won’t see a ton of Black people or any other race, besides whites, start making a big push in the outdoor rec space. I was in the military for 10 years and had lots of friends of different races. The truth is, they just simply don’t enjoy it. Yes can you make a push to try and get more involved, sure, but reality is the majority have different interests and choose not to be outdoorsy. Very simple but people want to make it into a racial issue, which it is not.

Do those of color who participate in outdoor activities run into racial issues, probably so. Just like you would in anything. That goes both ways. Some of the most racial people I have met were not white. Just saying.
What??? racist people that aren't white??? no way!!!!

Just joking, ever been to Alaska or rural Alaska, man the stuff that comes out of some of the locals mouths would make a hooker blush.

Im guessing you saw like one black family go sit in the back. Did it ever occur to you that maybe they wanted to sit in the back? I mean black people are able to make their own decisions about where to sit.

I saw a black guy go sit at the back of a bus one time, never occured to me that I was on a segregated bus, I figured the dude just wanted to sit in the back.

Like I said, you see what you WANT to see. Im guessing you went to Alabama just expecting to see racism everywhere so you made up the scenario in your own mind when it wasn't like you had expected.
No, it was a handful in and a handful out.

And no, we went to Alabama for the turkey hunting because it's great and their seasons come in far earlier than Ohio, so it was an opportunity to hunt earlier. Just as we went to dinner just to get dinner. And then that happened and it was quite eye opening.

Okhotnik

WKR
No I live in Idaho because of the access to the great outdoor opportunities and it being a great place to work. I used to live just outside of Cleveland and worked pretty much everywhere east of the Mississippi River for over 10 years, quite often in some pretty rough inner city neighborhoods due to the nature of my work. I went to college at a traditionally black school. So yes, I have seen some things.

I'm not lecturing anyone. I just think that the whole "I've never seen it happen so therefore it doesn't exist" argument is quite antiquated to say the least.

Id love to see Mystery Ranch , Meateater, BHA, Randy Newberg move their operations from Montana ( a very non diverse white state) , to Baltimore or East LA, Philly , Oakland or East St Louis to show they really believe in diversity and employ some folks that need work. Even an Indian Rez in South Dakota or AZ would work. Then have a real conversation, instead of woke lectures. Sure that will happen. lol

Id love to see Mystery Ranch , Meateater, BHA, Randy Newberg move their operations from Montana ( a very non diverse white state) , to Baltimore or East LA, Philly , Oakland or East St Louis to show they really believe in diversity and employ some folks that need work. Then have a real conversation, instead of woke lectures. Sure that will happen. lol
Why would they do that? They're located where they are because they're in the heart of the mountain west where their businesses are thriving due to that fact.

DJB

FNG
This is from his story. It sounds like there was a lot of people helping and supporting him as he got started.

Many fisherman may think of fishing as a lonely, quiet activity. But soon Chad realized that was not the case. He started making friends out on the water. Unconditional friends that became his mentors in and out of the water.

Okhotnik

WKR
Why would they do that? They're located where they are because they're in the heart of the mountain west where their businesses are thriving due to that fact.
There's mountains, in Maryland, Pennsylvania, California. Sounds like they don't like living around certain types of folks. Reminds of Leonardo Dicaprio or Yvonne Chouinard lecturing us on the evils of fossil fuels after traveling thousands of miles in private jets or yachts.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
No, it was a handful in and a handful out.

And no, we went to Alabama for the turkey hunting because it's great and their seasons come in far earlier than Ohio, so it was an opportunity to hunt earlier. Just as we went to dinner just to get dinner. And then that happened and it was quite eye opening.
Again, maybe those people were sitting where they wanted to sit. Its cute though that you are here speaking for the poor black people who can't make up their own choices about where to sit though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is from his story. It sounds like there was a lot of people helping and supporting him as he got started.

Many fisherman may think of fishing as a lonely, quiet activity. But soon Chad realized that was not the case. He started making friends out on the water. Unconditional friends that became his mentors in and out of the water.
Thats gold right there.

I used to think fishing was lonely....

LOL WTF?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Next thing you know someone will introduce a bill that sets aside a certain percentage of tags to anyone who is a certain color or sexual persuasion.
Then we'd find out just how bad people really want them sheep tags...."I'd do anything for a bighorn tag!!!"......oh yeah???

Okhotnik

WKR
Again, maybe those people were sitting where they wanted to sit. Its cute though that you are here speaking for the poor black people who can't make up their own choices about where to sit though.
I think we have a winner

USIay59.jpg

Maybe. And maybe they knew they had to sit there. You don't know that just as I don't know for certain. But it's the only place I've ever been in my life where I saw something like that happen.

Regardless of any of my experiences in life, you can't even try to shout from an ivory tower that minorities, homosexuals, etc. don't face obstacles trying to recreate in the outdoor space when oftentimes they aren't even welcome in many of their own hometowns, restaurants, bars, churches. The list goes on and on. And because someone is making it a point to try and change that narrative is pretty admirable in my opinion. And if Mystery Ranch says they think so too, then all the more power to them. Just go and buy a pack from another company.

Okhotnik

WKR
Yes, just making things up- you caught me. I have pretty thick skin so you can call me whatever you want when it comes to the things that only I have seen in my life. But it's not really supporting my own world view, it's supporting THE world view. Racism and bigotry are all around us each and everyday. Why the hell would I make something like that up? And yes, I'm sure far worse goes on in bigger cities around the country.
You ever spend anytime living or working in other countries? You've never witnessed real racism Im guessing.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Maybe. And maybe they knew they had to sit there. You don't know that just as I don't know for certain. But it's the only place I've ever been in my life where I saw something like that happen.

Regardless of any of my experiences in life, you can't even try to shout from an ivory tower that minorities, homosexuals, etc. don't face obstacles trying to recreate in the outdoor space when oftentimes they aren't even welcome in many of their own hometowns, restaurants, bars, churches. The list goes on and on. And because someone is making it a point to try and change that narrative is pretty admirable in my opinion. And if Mystery Ranch says they think so too, then all the more power to them. Just go and buy a pack from another company.

No

Okhotnik

WKR
No, racism is racism. It could be more extreme somewhere else, but that doesn't discount what happens here pretty often.
And still prefers to live in one of the whitest States in the country. Did you see all of the white snow Idaho received recently? Better get on it . lol

If there was no sign where to sit, how did you and your two friends know to sit in the white section at the restaurant. Not being from that area, you three wouldn't know the unwritten rules?
I guarantee you that it was around 2010 because it was when I was still an undergrad. There wasn't a sign on the door that said it for everyone to see, but it was definitely an unwritten rule that was obviously still being followed.

You obviously have not been to the area we were hunting.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.