Mystery Ranch Marshall vs Stone Glacier Sky 5900

TexAg09

FNG
Hey guys, I'm sorry for another backpack post, but I'm having a hard time making up my mind. It's getting crunch time to order any new gear, and I need your help! (Plus my wife said yes, so I don't want to wait in case she changes her mind haha!) I live in TX, so there isn't anywhere close to try these packs out.

I just got back from my scouting trip and my Slumberjack Bounty 4500 is just not long enough in the torso for me. I've used it for a couple of years and I love it, but it kills my shoulders under really heavy loads. It's max torso length is 21", and I'm about 23". I normally pack in about 6 miles for 6-7 days in some pretty nasty steep stuff in UT. I'm 6'4" 245lbs, and in pretty good shape. I'd like a pack that fits properly, has a load shelf, can carry my gear (the 4500 was a real tight fit with gear), be used as a day pack during the hunt, and a way to carry a rifle. Right now I'm looking between the MR Marshall or a SG Sky 5900. Do you have any advice, opinions or experiences with these packs that might be helpful? Please let me know if there are better options out there as well. Unfortunately, most packs such as Exo really only work to about a 21" torso length. I appreciate any input.

Shopping

Stone Glacier Sky 5900 [NEW]

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own packs from both outfits- high quality workmanship, high quality materials, both stand behind their packs

every pack fits every person a little differently and you obviously want a good fit- my suggestion is order both and try them on, put some weight in them (clean weight, you're going to be sending one back) and walk around the house (or block, just don't fall down and tear one :))

Both are quality packs, but a lot comes down to fit and there is only one sure way to find out which is a better fit- try them both, you're only out one way shipping on one pack and you'll know you made the right choice when you're done

sr80

WKR
Both are great, but id give the edge to stone glacier mainly because of the customer service that they can and will give you if you need to dial in that pack to make it fit. They will take care of you 100%, cant really say that for MR, thats just from my personal experience.

Kotaman

WKR
I own both of these packs. The MR is bomb proof and will carry a volks wagon if you need it to, but it is heavy. The SG 5900 is probably my favorite pack of all time. In daypack mode it stores into a very nice 3000 ci package. Expand it after the kill and it goes into a 5900 ci load hauling machine. One of the thing I really like about SG packs is their ability to fold down/cinch down to nothing in daypack mode.

With the MR you're going to get 800 more ci but you are also going to add a little over a lb. in pack weight. If you need the CI a better SG comparison would probably be with the Talus 6900. (which is also a great pack)

I had an SG and got rid of it because it felt like plywood with shoulder straps. I wear a MR pack almost everyday of the summer for work, so I switched over to them for hunting.

Of all the frames I’ve ever had, I like MR the best, hands down. I feel like it’s hugging me and not fighting me. It’s also pretty easy to adjust.

I a MR STRLLS frame with a custom bag and picked up a Marshall with the guidelight frame for a sheep hunt in Alaska this month.

The Marshall is one of the best packs I’ve ever used. The guidelight frame is comfy and lighter than any of the NICE frames. My custom pack is about a 3500ci pack and the Marshall and GL frame are half as heavy as it is.

The Marshall will swallow your entire packing list, the sleeping bag compartment is quite convenient and will easily accept a zero degree bag. I kept my 10* bag, bivy and a pillow in there and never even came close to fighting the zipper to get it in or out.

The vertical pockets held an outdoorsman tripod and a vortex razor 16-48x scope with ease. (One per pocket).

For quick scouts and such I’d take the lid off and use it as a waist pack to tote the tripod and spotter, and it stays where you put it and rides comfortably.

I’ll be using the Marshall for all of my extended backcountry hunts from now on.

I have the Marshall and love it. I'm 6'3" 220 with a longer torso and have had good luck with MR. Can't go wrong either way.

Like what's already been said, you probably can't go wrong with either. Having said that, the only experience I have with the MR is from a buddy that has one, so basically no personal experience. I do own a couple SG frames and several SG bags, including the Sky 5900. I absolutely love everything about my SG outfits and again, like what has already been said, their CS is second to none.