Mystery Ranch Metcalf vs New Kuiu Pro Series

Anybody have any time with both of these packs? The Metcalf is on sale right now at several different places and I’m trying to decide whether to get the Metcalf or the new Kuiu Pro. The Kuiu has a ton more pockets and organizational ability but other than that I don’t see much of an advantage. How important is the organization aspect to you guys? I’d love to hear some opinions. Thanks!

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have any time with both of these packs? The Metcalf is on sale right now at several different places and I’m trying to decide whether to get the Metcalf or the new Kuiu Pro. The Kuiu has a ton more pockets and organizational ability but other than that I don’t see much of an advantage. How important is the organization aspect to you guys? I’d love to hear some opinions. Thanks!
I've got the pro which is excellent and ordered the Metcalf last week just to try out. I'm just waiting for it to arrive and ill give you my thoughts.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I have an older MR Metcalf (gen1) and a KUIU 3200 (I can't remember if it is PRO model or not).

On my son's upcoming elk hunt he'll be using the 3200 and I'll be using the metcalf. Overall, I prefer the metcalf. I tend to use the 3200 for day outing early season archery hunts. For rifle hunts and later season, I prefer the metcalf. More room for later season (rifle) hunts, seems more durable, and for me it is a bit more comfortable under heavy loads.

I've packed out entire coues deer bucks in both packs, and for that application, I'd choose the metcalf. I could fit an entire coues deer buck in the 3200, but it just didn't seem as robust of a pack, if that makes sense.

My son usually uses my old 1850 (first gen) pack, but for his upcoming elk hunt he's switching to the 3200 to have a bit more room in the pack bag.

The metcalf allows me to do multi day trips as well. The most I've done with it is ~9 days in early season CO for archery deer, sharing some gear (tent and stove) with another guy.

I like the changes on the new model and am tempted to get one while on sale, but I need to sell an old MR Longbow with NICE frame first. (I have WAY too many packs.)

Nothing really wrong with the KUIU 3200. I like the pack and layout of the bag, but the biggest pro of the 3200 over the metcalf is pack weight. The metcalf compresses down nicely. I have a pintler bag, but lately have just been using the metcalf bag and not worrying about swapping them out.

If I was to choose ONE pack, it'd probably be the metcalf.

Hope my ramblings weren't too confusing.

LaHunter

WKR
I've been using the Kuiu Icon Pro for several years (since they were released), and now the Pro suspension. I've hauled a few deer and elk quarters with it and it has done well, which is why I am still using it. Also, I have 100s of miles of training hikes in the Icon Pro and Pro suspension system with 40-75 lbs. This pack suspension works great for me. In my opinion, the Pro belt is a little more comfortable to me vs the Icon Pro.
I ordered a MR Metcalf with the Guide Light frame a few years ago to try out. I gave it an honest evaluation for about 6-8 weeks with wts from 40-60 lbs. In my opinion, the belt was worthless on this system. It would not stay in place regardless how I adjusted the system. After about 10 minutes, the belt would slip down and 80+% of the weight would be on my shoulders. I sold it and stayed with my Kuiu and have been 100% happy with my pack. That being said, there are lots of guys that really like the MR packs, they just didn't work well for me.