Mystery Ranch Metcalf

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
I used one this fall for a 7 day backpack hunt and had no issues. It was pretty well full but I had some non essentials along and overpacked on food.

OP
Doc Holliday
That is great to hear, thank you. When I posted the question, I didn't think about putting a bag of clothes, etc. in between the bag and the frame where you would put meat, so seems like with that it could easily do a week. Just a matter of separate packouts for meat vs. camp which I would have to do even if I had a 7000ci

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
That works too. I originally had all my food in a dry bag between the frame and bag, but changed my mind at the last minute and stuffed in inside the bag. That would have freed up a good portion of the bag (probably 25 percent or more)

fwafwow

WKR
I packed mine for a 9 day hunt and everything (including food and clothing) fit inside. Happy to share my packing list, but you might be horrified at the dearth of clothing that I included (as I was not changing anything, other than including an extra pair of socks and one extra pair of underwear).

I have used mine for 7 days. IMO the difference between 3 and 7 days is mostly food so I pack my gear in the main bag and had a food bag on the meat shelf that I ate my way through during the trip. It also made bear hanging easy.

I like to use the meat shelf for my chow as well. Makes hanging it at camp easier and getting chow enroute through the day easier.

Jo83ben

FNG
I went with a Metcalf and overall love it. Great pack, comfortable, versatile. I do think its a little big for daypack use for my preference, so I also picked up a pintler bag only option on sale. If you're looking at something like this, get the metcalf first, since they don't sell the metcalf as a bag only. I actually LOVE the Pintler. great bag, perfect day pack side, and easily accessible for getting gear out with the tri-zipper arrangement they have. Now the metcalf bag is set aside and only used for multiple day hunts, otherwise its pintler for day hunts and hikes.

Yes this bag is big enough for 4-5 days depending on your habits. My problem has always been the loudness of the frame. Almost constant squeaking and squawking with every step, very hard to be quiet on a stalk with this backpack on. Otherwise love it, very comfortable on the body/hips.