Mystery Ranch Mission Rover/Duffel

Voyageur

WKR
Looking for a new carry-on bag and really like the MR Mission Rover and Mission Duffel. I've read the descriptions and watched the videos and have picked up on the obvious differences of price, color choices, and internal organization. I would like to hear form members who have used one or the other and get their thoughts before I make my decision.
Thanks.

A bit of an MR fanboy and I retired an old tumi wheely for an MR wheelie and a mission rover a couple of years ago. the rover is fine. I would say it is a travel bag with shoulder straps, not a hard core piece of gear. For comparison, I drug some eagle convertible travel bag/backpacks around Europe and on some decent treks and they were still in fair shape. I just don’t get the same sense of confidence in this bag. I doubt it would hold up to a ton of rough use but will be fine for going in and out of airports for a few years.

When I don’t want a wheelie, I tend to switch between the rover and a north face duffle depending on how much organization I want - more for business trips, less for personal. Like the northface duffle it has no real structure so it bulges and flops a bit and when you use it as a backpack everything just falls to the bottom.

i guess I would say I am generally happy with it but I can’t tell you I wouldn’t be shopping for something else if I ever wear this out.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
A bit of an MR fanboy and I retired an old tumi wheely for an MR wheelie and a mission rover a couple of years ago. the rover is fine. I would say it is a travel bag with shoulder straps, not a hard core piece of gear. For comparison, I drug some eagle convertible travel bag/backpacks around Europe and on some decent treks and they were still in fair shape. I just don’t get the same sense of confidence in this bag. I doubt it would hold up to a ton of rough use but will be fine for going in and out of airports for a few years.

When I don’t want a wheelie, I tend to switch between the rover and a north face duffle depending on how much organization I want - more for business trips, less for personal. Like the northface duffle it has no real structure so it bulges and flops a bit and when you use it as a backpack everything just falls to the bottom.

i guess I would say I am generally happy with it but I can’t tell you I wouldn’t be shopping for something else if I ever wear this out.
For the benefit of others I'm following up on this thread.
I found a MR Mission Rover at 20% off so made the purchase. I have to say @Desk Jockey was dead on in his assessment of the bag. It's a nice piece of gear, I have no complaints, but at the same time nothing about the Rover overwhelms me. Then again, it's a piece of travel luggage, so why should it. While I've only used it for one weekend trip, maybe my opinion will change with time, right now I'm in agreement with Desk Jockey and will end by quoting his final line:
"i guess I would say I am generally happy with it but I can’t tell you I wouldn’t be shopping for something else if I ever wear this out."

NolanKM

FNG
Have one. It's a nice quality, boxey, utilitarian piece of luggage of Mystery Ranch quality in general, but niche as a carry-on sized bag. It's built for more casual travel and not in the same category as the bulletproof field bags in their lineup.

I used mine the other week. Had actually forgotten that the shoulder straps attach to the bag with g hooks (not terrible but will not hold up to trail use. Also, there is no waist strap.

again, fine for an around town, planes, trains and automobiles bag but not something to take trekking into the wild.