Mystery Ranch Pack Fitting Questions

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Without being able to try any MR packs on locally, I ordered a Sawtooth 45 in size Large. I'm 6'2" with a 34" waist. I was concerned that the belt would be too big as it's listed as fitting 35"-40" waists. Pack cam Saturday and honestly, I'm underwhelmed and a bit disappointed. The belt seems really short, with the nylon cinch webbing/buckle being across my belly. The pictures are from a Google search, but illustrates the point. I guess I expected the padding to come around much further, especially given that I'm below the rated sizing of the belt. I do NOT like how the belt/buckle go across the front, that is not comfortable. I confirmed that the belt is the correct size via the tags sewn on it (M/L 35"-40"). My son, who is 5'10" and 30" waist tried it on and it fit him MUCH better, with plenty of room to cinch the belt tight.

Anyone else run into this? Why are the belts so short? Seems I will need to try the biggest of belts (L/XL) even though they are claiming a 39"+ waist.

The other notable thing about this pack is that the fabric is noisy...really noisy. Not sure what to make out of that and will reserve some judgement until after I try it in the field. Overall it seems to be made well, and I like the layout/size of the bag. I'll definitely be comparing this to the EXO of a friends and see how it stacks up. Initial impressions are that the EXO is a much nicer pack. Comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: Two last notes...the coyote color looks nothing like what's on the website. It's not really tan, instead it's more a green/gold color, and the straps are more gold than anything. My son likes the color, I do not. If you can find one to see in person, I'd highly recommend that before buying. Also, the hydration pocket inside will fit a Platypus 3L reservoir. The pocket could stand to be another 1" wider for a perfect fit, but it does work.

Attachments

• 0115_MysteryRanchLifestyle_54327_1051x700.jpg
    0115_MysteryRanchLifestyle_54327_1051x700.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 84
  • MR Belt.jpg
    MR Belt.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
I have a MR Pintler and had some fit issues. Bought the large as I have a 34" waist. Ended up buying the S/M belt attachment as the M/L was too big for me. Comfort on the waist belt is a personal preference. For my build, the belt wrapped around too much the ends were pretty close and not comfortable. I would suggest talking with MR about a larger belt to see if that fits better. The new belt was around 35$. I was able to sell my M/L here so I came out even.

I have the same pack you have. I am a 33” waist and I don’t see any issues with a medium belt. I know what you mean about the strap coming around the front. I have had quite a few backpacking specific packs, and they all are about the same.

Voyageur

WKR
I would call Mystery Ranch and discuss the belt fit with them. I had similar concerns a couple years ago with a different make of pack and after calling and hearing the maker's explanation on how far the belt should wrap around and the fact that there would be a bit of stretch with use I was satisfied I had the correct size and have had no issues with it for the past 3 years.

OP
J

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback! I hadn't really thought about the belt stretching, but can see how it might a little as the padding breaks in. My Barney's frame fits about the same, however, the strap across the front doesn't dig in like the MR, not quite sure why. I will have to try a larger belt and see how that fits. I'm really surprised that this belt, rated what it is, fit my son great given he's a 30" waist. Interesting to read that others felt the opposite. Maybe mine is mislabeled? If I was just planning on using it as a day pack with light loads, it'd be fine, but I want to make sure that when the heavy loads come (and they will, no doubt), it'll perform as needed/expected. Thought maybe I overlooked something in the set-up.

Thanks again!

One other thing to think of. Before this belt, they have a much more narrow and shorter belt on the older packs. So this is actually an improvement .

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Medium fits me perfect at a 33.

Agree on the noisy fabric. I will say though that this new, noisier fabric is also stiffer which keeps everything tighter when compressed for day hunts.

OP
J

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Did you use a cloth tape to get measurement for waist or going off your pant size?
I did indeed, measured per their website instructions. Being at the very low end (off the recommended range), I'm very surprised. I was concerned it wouldn't tighten enough, but sheesh, given that it has no problem tightening on my son at 30" waist, not sure what the sizing actually means.
Medium fits me perfect at a 33.

Agree on the noisy fabric. I will say though that this new, noisier fabric is also stiffer which keeps everything tighter when compressed for day hunts.
The noisy fabric is a disappointment, but I'm guessing it won't make much difference hunting (I hope!). Seems durable, just crinkly sounding. The color is another big disappointment, doesn't look anything like the pics online. Yes, I know monitors/phones/etc can display colors a little differently, but this is grossly different. Guess it needs to get really dirty to take the shine off the webbing.

TheTone

WKR
The reference picture you have from the google search looks like pretty good fit to me. On color I have found to me coyote on the web pretty much seems the same as when I see it in person at a store. With noise yeah the cordura makes some noise if scraped through brush, limbs etc but it does soften some with time. I’ve hunted with MR packs for more than a decade and don’t think pack noise has ever cost me an animal

OP
J

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Quick update. I ordered the L/XL belt to give it a try. Ends up the pads are exactly the same as the belt I already had but with longer straps. Now I see why some go with the S/M belts, I could go down to that size and the strap would still be long enough. No reason to buy yet another belt though, I can shorten the strap myself if desired.

I did pick up a bag of water softener tablets to load the frame with. Maybe the belt will be an non-issue when I'm worrying about my lungs exploding or legs collapsing :)

Hope this helps anyone looking for info on the MR belts.

kissell59

FNG
Helpful info! Looking to purchase the MR Beartooth 80 for this upcoming season

OutHeavy

FNG
The weight of a loaded pack should sit on your hips. Theres's no need for the padding to wrap around your entire stomach because you don't/shouldn't carry weight up front. As long as your hips and lumbar are covered you'll be OK. The belt is just pulling the load up against your back and hips. Keep that in mind when you're cinching that belt in.

OP
J

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
The weight of a loaded pack should sit on your hips. Theres's no need for the padding to wrap around your entire stomach because you don't/shouldn't carry weight up front. As long as your hips and lumbar are covered you'll be OK. The belt is just pulling the load up against your back and hips. Keep that in mind when you're cinching that belt in.
Thanks for the tips. The issue I have is that while I'm not fat, I'm also not 4% body fat. The belt/buckle digs into my gut when I cinch it tight. If I don't cinch it tight, the belt slips down and keeps pushing my pants down and/or pinching me between my pant belt and the waist belt.
I loaded the pack with a 44# of salt and 3 liters of water yesterday and went for a walk (1.5 miles). I find that the lumbar pad is barely thick enough for me, and the contact of the bottom of the belt/frame with my glutes is uncomfortable at a minimum. Yes, I have an a$$ from decades of soccer and biking. My GF (who is extremely fit) immediately wanted the pack removed. The lumbar pad is way too thin for the curvature of her spine and the bottom of the belt hit the top of her glutes much more than me. I think the EXO's have extra pads that can be put in the lumbar area...she needs that for sure!
I also found that with the shoulder harness at the max position (fully extended), the straps are still on my shoulders with the waist belt across the pointy parts of my hips (middle of belt over the hip "points"). Am I wearing the belt too low? It looks the same as many of the pics I've seen online. The only way I could get the shoulder straps off my shoulders was to fully, bucket-bucket, tighten the lifters. Any looser and the pack would have play between my back and move quite a bit. This doesn't seem right. I'm only 6'2" and 200# with a 34" waist...shouldn't be this hard to fit a MR Large size Guide MT frame, right?
In the end, this pack may just not fit me correctly, and that's ok, I can sell it. Just want to make sure I'm giving it a fair shake. I really like the bag layout of the sawtooth, it's mostly the frame I'm having a hard time with. Any advice on what to try next, other packs to try, etc?

If you haven't called Mystery Ranch to discuss fitting it, do so. The pack belt should sit higher than your pants (middle of the padding should sit at the top of the Iliac crest) Make sure the yoke is adjusted properly WITH a load in the pack. Failure to properly adjust the yoke will pull on your shoulder and cause discomfort in your lower back. I had that same issue with my Sawtooth 45 but once I talked to MR (and sent them various pictures they asked for with the pack on me) we got it sorted out and now that I have it properly fitted I can (and do) wear it all day comfortably. The pack may end up not being right for you (I have tried 2 separate EXO generations and they don't work for me...not every pack fits every body type) but get MR involved to help see if they can get you fitted.

OP
J

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven't called Mystery Ranch to discuss fitting it, do so. The pack belt should sit higher than your pants (middle of the padding should sit at the top of the Iliac crest) Make sure the yoke is adjusted properly WITH a load in the pack. Failure to properly adjust the yoke will pull on your shoulder and cause discomfort in your lower back. I had that same issue with my Sawtooth 45 but once I talked to MR (and sent them various pictures they asked for with the pack on me) we got it sorted out and now that I have it properly fitted I can (and do) wear it all day comfortably. The pack may end up not being right for you (I have tried 2 separate EXO generations and they don't work for me...not every pack fits every body type) but get MR involved to help see if they can get you fitted.
Thanks! I will do that. I've watched the fitting videos and tried several times to get it adjusted (with the ~50# in it for testing). To clarify, the middle of the waist belt IS sitting on my Iliac crest, and that seems to push my pants down or pinch me between the waist belt and my pants belt depending on how I'm moving. I finally pulled my pants way up yesterday simply to get the belt under the waist belt...felt stupid for sure but at least the pinching was gone. Something isn't right or I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

BluMtn

WKR
I feel your pain. LOL. I bought a popup 28 when they came out and used it for my local hunting season. I tried several different adjustments through out the season and could never get it to sit right, killed my shoulders and would fall off my hips. When I went to Montana for my late mule deer hunt I stopped in Bozeman and visited with the folks at Mystery Ranch and a couple of their guys came out into the visitors area and spent about and hour fitting the pack. I left excited until I started using it on my hunt. Within one hour my shoulders were sore and no matter how tight I pulled the belt it would slide down off my hips. Loved the pack, but I could not make it work for me. Went back to my old pack and have been happy ever since. Packs are a very personal thing like shoes, what works for one person may not work for someone else.

Also I guess I should put it back in the classified again. Not doing me any good hanging in my gunroom.

MBubley

FNG
I tried on a S/M pack in store and have 34 inch waist, belt fit fine rest of pack was small, unfortunately have same problem as you total lack of availability to try gear on

I have a MR Pintler and had some fit issues. Bought the large as I have a 34" waist. Ended up buying the S/M belt attachment as the M/L was too big for me. Comfort on the waist belt is a personal preference. For my build, the belt wrapped around too much the ends were pretty close and not comfortable. I would suggest talking with MR about a larger belt to see if that fits better. The new belt was around 35$. I was able to sell my M/L here so I came out even.
When you say "for my build, the belt wrapped around too much", are you saying you are a light/skinny build and this was the case?