Mystery Ranch Pintler/Mule.

With a couple added sea to summit male/female buckles I've created a way to run the Pintler alone, the Mule alone, or both of these bags with the GL frame. Creating extra storage with the Mule bag for 3-5 day pack in's ran on the load shelf. But with the added buckles I also have the ability to run the Mule on the outside in the case of needing the shelf for a downed animal.(obviously filling the outside bag with all my lighter weight gear.) I'm typically a 1-3 day hunter which I get out of the MR Pintler by all means so it works great for me. But the extra bag makes room for another day or 2 at the snap of 6 buckles. Let me know what you guys think. Any pros, cons, that come to mind? I havent put this system to use yet but plan to as soon as the warmer weather comes back to Montana and would love to hear your input.
0c8d496dbde3023e76cccd3c9d70b07b.jpg
6473fd192d84804ba32849c6d9c21f9c.jpg
d80565d9493f21e1eeb41a1ebeeb4546.jpg
4f4c05178a6c5b3187a8263c56ad19a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Neat idea. I assume the mule would work with other packs as a ride along too. Could be a cool day pack for a Metcalf or something.

What does it weigh with both packs and frame?

Curious on the weight also. I would think it would make more sense from a weight standpoint to ditch one of the mr bags and put a (40l or larger) dry bag on the shelf?

If I can do 3 days with the pintler (which is totally reasonable early/mid season) than I can do 5,6 on the same gear load- and the additional weight and space are consumables- which I don’t mind packing on the overload shelf. If you have to put gear in the overload shelf- the pack is too small for the trip. If you are using the overload shelf for food on the way in- it’ll be empty for meat on the way out.

Having had a crew cab, and sold it- I won’t run a mule because you rely on the overload shelf and a dry bag for your gear if using it for overnight trips and the pintler itself is great as a daypack. I put that mule money plus a little more into a popup28 for dayhunts. And prefer it to any nice or guidelight option if I’m not spending the night away from the truck.

I know you probably got the idea for this from the MR “hitchhiker” however, With the setup you are considering You will find that loaded up and in uneven broken terrain you’ll most likely have a difficult time getting any weight in the furthest back pack bag stableized from side to side. It’ll want to sway. All the rearmost bag will be good for is bulky loweihjt stuff. Ie sleeping bag, puffy static layers etc.

Additionally- I know some guys like screwing with stuff- tinkering and tweaking. I don’t- i want a simple and basic setup with as few “induced failure points” as possible- meaning purposeful design, rather than a series of sub optimal compromises in the name of modularity which offer no real performance gain. If what you want is a more modular setup consisder adding a daypack lid instead of the mule- though I won’t ride quite right either, get a hitchhiker instead of the mule or look at kifaru. For my money you return the mule and get a little bit of time in the pintler to really see what it is and what it isn’t before you start walk-in around lookin like a digiflage yardsale.

Imagine we are sitting around drinking beer and rewaterproofing our boots after a trip and I’m telling you this when you read it- I mean it like that- not like I’m being a dick

Last edited:
for my money you return the mule and get a little bit of time in the pintler to really see what it is and what it isn’t before you start walk-in around lookin like a digiflage yardsale.

Or return them both and give the selway a test drive. Would give him roughly thr similar cu/in to these two bags combined and by the looks of it should compress down similar to the pintler.

Trial153

WKR
Little too much going on for me. I would run the pintler with a dry bag if I needed more CI as it way easier to deal with then an extra bag.
Also there isnt and thing you can do with a mule bag that pintler couldnt do and do better.

Or return them both and give the selway a test drive. Would give him roughly thr similar cu/in to these two bags combined and by the looks of it should compress down similar to the pintler.

No doubt. Personally it seems like his approach is similar to mine probably most guys I want to set myself up as close to ideally for 85-90% of my situation and have a game plan for and an idea how my shit will perform the other 15% of the time when compromised in one way or another.

I may be moving toward a selway or I may not at this point it’s getting where there’s more snivel gear type stuff that I want with me for comfort to help keep my head in the game than I used to- but it’s also getting a little lighter and more compressible too an extent also. Buy another pack- or buy some other stuff- it seems like the way ahead is clear $$$ no matter!!

No doubt. Personally it seems like his approach is similar to mine probably most guys I want to set myself up as close to ideally for 85-90% of my situation and have a game plan for and an idea how my shit will perform the other 15% of the time when compromised in one way or another.

I may be moving toward a selway or I may not at this point it’s getting where there’s more snivel gear type stuff that I want with me for comfort to help keep my head in the game than I used to- but it’s also getting a little lighter and more compressible too an extent also. Buy another pack- or buy some other stuff- it seems like the way ahead is clear $$$ no matter!!

Well getting back to his isuue, is there any reason a person couldn't run a pintler/dry bag and if an animal is killed still sneak a quarter between the frame/drybag and still have the pintler bag compressing everything or will having the additional drybag create too much headache/slip?

Maybe better put: does the extra gear bag have to either go on the outside or stay in camp or could you make a dry bag sandwich with meat and pintler bag
??

Drybag plus meatbag on the shelf is good option depending on the hunt and the size of the drybag- if you’re elk hunting solo and anticipate more than one trip anyway- that would be pretty practical. On a backcountry deer hunt when you would More likely be anticipating one trip out- you’ll want the whole shelf for the meat I think- which again when it’s early or mid season- in my pintler and I used to run a longbow which is smaller..

Lightweight Nylon tarp (not ultralight silnylon)
Army issue bivy sack with 20•down sleeping bag in it stuffed into the bottom of the pack no stuff sack
1 merino Long sleeve top little heavier than a t shirt
1 wool sweater about like a sweatshirt
Down hoody
Wool or something glove liners
Gaiters
Neck gaiter
Warm hat
Rain top and bottom
Midweihht capilene bottoms
1 pair liner socks
Kill kit, hygiene kit, , headlamp etc
Stove/fuel
Spotter (maybe)
Chow
Tripod and sleeping pad / glass matt strapped down on sides

Add a couple pairs of socks and more chow and that’s all that changes between 3 days and 5. So defintely a few ways to get a 5 day early season trip out of a pintler. It’s be tough to get 3 day late season trip out of it I think.

OP
nickstevens2588
Drybag plus meatbag on the shelf is good option depending on the hunt and the size of the drybag- if you’re elk hunting solo and anticipate more than one trip anyway- that would be pretty practical. On a backcountry deer hunt when you would More likely be anticipating one trip out- you’ll want the whole shelf for the meat I think- which again when it’s early or mid season- in my pintler and I used to run a longbow which is smaller..

Lightweight Nylon tarp (not ultralight silnylon)
Army issue bivy sack with 20•down sleeping bag in it stuffed into the bottom of the pack no stuff sack
1 merino Long sleeve top little heavier than a t shirt
1 wool sweater about like a sweatshirt
Down hoody
Wool or something glove liners
Gaiters
Neck gaiter
Warm hat
Rain top and bottom
Midweihht capilene bottoms
1 pair liner socks
Kill kit, hygiene kit, , headlamp etc
Stove/fuel
Spotter (maybe)
Chow
Tripod and sleeping pad / glass matt strapped down on sides

Add a couple pairs of socks and more chow and that’s all that changes between 3 days and 5. So defintely a few ways to get a 5 day early season trip out of a pintler. It’s be tough to get 3 day late season trip out of it I think.
Hey thanks for the input Juan. As you said my main use will be for elk but I only bow hunt so I will not USUALLY be needing a ton of extra warm gear. What your saying makes sense and could even save me some money potentially without the Mule.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

22jdubs

FNG
I have tested the pintler with a dry bag on the shelf as well and easily expands the pack to for extended back county. Now I only tested around the house, I only ended up day hunting.

I am going to test the new Sherman pocket with the pintler before my next backcountry trip.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
The day pack lid is a nice addition to the pintler, I use it for all the stuff I am usually after like food, calls, tripod adapters, hats gloves , bullets ,

What about the new beartooth or sawtooth that they are supposed to be coming out with....Anyone know anything more about them? look to be about the size of this set up, but more organization internally....may be something for a separate thread however.