Mystery Ranch pintler

CO Hunter

FNG
I too have been looking hard at the Pintler and the Pop Up 28. Mostly for day hunts, at least at the current time. I've been seeing some negative reviews on the "looseness" of the Pop Up bag relative to the frame- I think posted on the MR website. Any comments on this from the folks that have the 2020 model? Functionally, I think the hauling ability of the Pop Up would work for me...but I don't mind the buy once, cry once sort of thing if spending the extra money for the Pintler is a better move in the long run.

I've had a Pop Up 28 for two years now and have packed whole boned out antelope and mulies. It is a very capable little pack. Because of it size, I even fly home with it in the overhead bin filled with all my frozen meat. Having said that, if I were doing an elk hunt, (probably next year), I would want to move up to the guide lite MT frame with either the Sawtooth 45 or Metcalf. The Sawthooth 45 checks all my boxes and will be my next pack.

There are great sales right now on the older gen Pintlers. I have no experience with them, but they seem to be well liked based on all the praise they've received over the years.

Last edited:

Austink47

WKR
I have packed enough meat with my Pintler to say that there are no issues with securing the load between the pack and the frame. For the life of me I can’t keep the belt from slipping down with a heavy load, but that is a different story.

macabra11

FNG
For those of you that have tried both the Guide Light and Guide Light MT frames, how much of a difference do you REALLY notice? The access to the load shelf is obviously easier on the new frame, but if I don't access it until I really need to pack out quarters, then I'm not sure spending a couple extra minutes undoing buckles is a big deal.

The two things that really look like upgrades to me, are the side straps over the water bottle holders and the more padded, 5-piece waist belt. That new belt looks like it would be a lot more comfortable under load.

I have never seen any of these packs in person, but I have been looking at the PopUp 38, Sawtooth 45 and Pintler (both older and 2020 versions). I like to carry nalgenes for water, so I have a strong feeling the old style side compressions would irritate me greatly. I've also never gotten an elk or packed out an animal on my back, so my experience is VERY limited.

I've had good luck with this pack,, perfect size to hunt in yet can haul a decent size load. I've only hauled meat once but packed 40+lbs of shed antlers many times and the frame seemed solid.

GoHunt had a pretty good breakdown of new MR packs. One of the major things I noticed on the frames was that the older Guide Light frame had flat carbon reinforcing on both the vertical and horizontal braces, but the new Guide Light MT has carbon RODS for the vertical stays giving better structure in four direction and decreasing flexible/bending when strapped down. Everything I've heard is that the pintler is a great pack and can pack down pretty well. I've got a Beartooth but am looking at the Pintler for shorter hunts, and I would be able to do that with the same Guide Light MT frame as they are interchangeable.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I have packed enough meat with my Pintler to say that there are no issues with securing the load between the pack and the frame. For the life of me I can’t keep the belt from slipping down with a heavy load, but that is a different story.
Reach out to OV Innovations about their MEAN Pad. I have very little slippage now on my Sawtooth Guidelight MT Frame ever since I added it.

It has been Night and Day for me, in regards to the 5-pcs waistbelt for the GL MT. The GL on Pintler is great for summer hiking with less than 25 lbs. Once it gets to winter, and I have more slick outer materials, the GL waistbelt slips off my sexy hips. YMMV

Austink47

WKR
Reach out to OV Innovations about their MEAN Pad. I have very little slippage now on my Sawtooth Guidelight MT Frame ever since I added it.

It has been Night and Day for me, in regards to the 5-pcs waistbelt for the GL MT. The GL on Pintler is great for summer hiking with less than 25 lbs. Once it gets to winter, and I have more slick outer materials, the GL waistbelt slips off my sexy hips. YMMV
Interesting. Thank you very much.

For those of you that have tried both the Guide Light and Guide Light MT frames, how much of a difference do you REALLY notice? The access to the load shelf is obviously easier on the new frame, but if I don't access it until I really need to pack out quarters, then I'm not sure spending a couple extra minutes undoing buckles is a big deal.

The two things that really look like upgrades to me, are the side straps over the water bottle holders and the more padded, 5-piece waist belt. That new belt looks like it would be a lot more comfortable under load.

I have never seen any of these packs in person, but I have been looking at the PopUp 38, Sawtooth 45 and Pintler (both older and 2020 versions). I like to carry nalgenes for water, so I have a strong feeling the old style side compressions would irritate me greatly. I've also never gotten an elk or packed out an animal on my back, so my experience is VERY limited.

As far as access to the load shelf, I don't think about it much (unbuckling across the center vs undoing the load lifters). However, the waistbelt is a monster improvement (for me). With the old GL frame I had constant slipage. The new one stays right where i sinch it down like velcro. The old GL frame was fine, the new one is great. If you're considering any pack on a frame, I would highly reccomend the new frame unless you can put the new belt on an old frame (may be possible). I know MR sells just the belts for $35ish.....

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I did notice the strap going over the water bottle pocket. I do not like that either. Hard to believe they let that go like that.
It actually goes into a sewn slot, and passes behind where a water bottle would go. It snugs up next to the pack, not in the stretch woven area. Fits a Nalgene, tripod legs, etc. really well. Nice design actually.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
GoHunt had a pretty good breakdown of new MR packs. One of the major things I noticed on the frames was that the older Guide Light frame had flat carbon reinforcing on both the vertical and horizontal braces, but the new Guide Light MT has carbon RODS for the vertical stays giving better structure in four direction and decreasing flexible/bending when strapped down. Everything I've heard is that the pintler is a great pack and can pack down pretty well. I've got a Beartooth but am looking at the Pintler for shorter hunts, and I would be able to do that with the same Guide Light MT frame as they are interchangeable.
You can get the Pintler as a bag only option. You would be set with the Beartooth and Pintler then.

WKR
I have the Pintler and Marshall. Winter trips or trips with my 2 girls, the Marshall has a ton of room. Most other days, I use the Pintler. I attach the lid from the Marshall over the top of the Pintler when I need a bit more room and it works well.

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Pintler and Marshall. Winter trips or trips with my 2 girls, the Marshall has a ton of room. Most other days, I use the Pintler. I attach the lid from the Marshall over the top of the Pintler when I need a bit more room and it works well.
I have this same combo - how do you attach the lid to the Pintler? You have pics? Thanks.

WKR
I have this same combo - how do you attach the lid to the Pintler? You have pics? Thanks.

Sure thing amigo. The top buckle on the lid, male, attach to the permanent female buckles on the load lifter bar (my term, probably wrong). The bottom male buckles are the removable type, attach to the daisy chain loops on the outside of the pintler bag, about half way down the bag. The female bottom bucket of the lid snap right in.

The attachment is slightly narrow but when the bag is full, it all fits together nicely.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 20200413_184611.jpg
    20200413_184611.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200413_184646.jpg
    20200413_184646.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200413_184659.jpg
    20200413_184659.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 51

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I packed a whole mule deer with a pintler and it sinches down nice and tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ended up buying the sawtooth 45 and I think it will work very well. It seems pretty handy the way it is kid out and it’s ability to access gear from the side. I have hiked around with 30lb in it several times and it seems prettty comfortable but that’s only 30lb.

I used the MR Pop-up 28 to haul out an elk quarter, backstrap and neck meat without issue. It's a great day hunting pack and the load shelf lets you pack out a quarter or more right away. I am also considering a Kifaru for another option.

Gen273

WKR
Does anyone use the pintler as an eastern whitetail pack? I have been looking at them.