Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28

boom

WKR
I’d go for another 30ish bag with 3zip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funny..this past elk hunt. i finally figured out how to optimize the use of the tri-zip (3-zip?). it just clicked. the system is pretty ingenious.

elkyinzer

WKR
I’d go for another 30ish bag with 3zip

I agree this frame could absolutely handle another 10L. Been using it all season to pack my saddle setup, and I am getting closed to maxed out when it comes to packing in warm clothes.

TheTone

WKR
funny..this past elk hunt. i finally figured out how to optimize the use of the tri-zip (3-zip?). it just clicked. the system is pretty ingenious.

Tri zip is awesome. Been using one (MR Bighorn) for 8 years.

So it is getting a bit cold back east. Time to start packing some clothes into the woods with me on my deer hunting trips. That means the pop up 28 is going to get put away in favor of a 50 l pack that will hold my day hunting gear + insulating layers.

Overall positive impressions:

+ it carries well in day pack mode. Light. Compact. Not too much frame that it gets in your way.
+ it can haul. Two quartered white tails down and out of the woods. I wouldn’t replace a big frame pack with it but it will handle 60-70 pounds of meat + gear over a few miles for sure.
+ it is well designed and easy to use. They nailed the meat shelf access in a way that doesn’t make it a pain in the ass to use. Pockets where you what them. MR quality.

A few gripes:
- bottle pockets are shallow. Could be a little deeper
- hip belt length. I have. A 38 waist. It works but not with a lot of room. A few more inches of strap for the husky crowd would be appreciated.
- capacity. Not really a negative but a consideration. 28 liters is a bit more than a knapsack. It fills up fast with my kill kit, rain gear, trekking poles, portable blind gear and snacks. I have enough room left over for my jacket but that is about it. Unless I start hanging stuff off the sides or use the meat shelf, I wouldn’t be able to take cold weather clothes with me. I prefer to have it all in the pack so will swap this out for a larger pack starting about now.

Overall, I am very, very happy. Apart from the small gripes above I think they pretty much nailed it. There is something to be said for a larger pack, like the my woodsman this replaced or Kifsrus eastern ruck, but you pay a weight penalty. It fits the role I want almost perfectly and ought to be in anyone’s consideration set if they are looking for a day pack that can haul meat/heavy load on occasion. Capacity probably limits it to warmer weather or at least for me but that is a personal choice. I could easily pack extra clothes on the meat shelf for the colder months and may do that as the season moves on.

This pack hauls as hard as it hunts for all those wondering. Split a Muke deer with my buddy and that went really well. Then hauled out a bone in elk hindquarter then a hind and meat parts then both shoulders and the head. I tried to break it but it didn’t. I don’t know the heaviest load but it was heavier than I’ll do with this pack again. Not quite enough hipbelt for the last load I carried out. I don’t know if I’d ever packout an elk solo with it again. But I wanted to see what it had. I am enthalled. It is awesome.
b807054fc90391c47dc6b56a953d12c9.jpg
92f1d6c4e065ef2f9d3dde7f9ca16022.jpg
336af502977714c3c4b3162dcf66b965.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a 20” bartlien 2b and the stock is a McMillan KS which isn’t made anymore but is like an edge for weight 24-25 oz. it has that bolt knob, an m4 style extractor, a gretan firing pin and spring and a timney joe Collier at Collier Rifles did it all for me. I’ve used it for everything for a long time. 7 1/4lbs like you see it. That scope I think is 17 oz.

Last edited:
I looked all over for a pop-up 28 before my hunt, but couldn't find any available so I settled for my Eberlestock Dragonfly. The Dragonfly did a great job, but I have a feeling I will eventually sell it and get the pop up 28 and add a gun bearer to it.

Thanks for the reports. It looks to be as good as I had expected it to be.

Guys I really love that rifle too. I gave it a shoutout on the one rifle hunter thread. It’s like holding death in one hand and pocket aces in the other. Can’t lose. Ice cold

sbsyncro

FNG
For those of you with the Pop-up 28 - how does it do holding a tripod and spotting scope in the water bottle pockets? It looks from photos like the lower compression strap cuts through the bottom of the pocket, rendering it difficult if not impossible to cinch down the tripod on one side and scope on the other...(?).

caws907

FNG
I didn't put a spotting scope in the pouch but regarding the tripod, I could get the strap around two of the legs and then cinched it down. It takes a little finagling but it can be pretty sturdy.

Trial153

WKR
I put a tripod in the side pocket of an 18, I secured the top with rubber wire tie...easy as pie.

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know of any stores with a large green pop up 28 in stock? I can’t seem to find one anywhere online that is actually available

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I chatted with Mystery Ranch the other day about the possibility of purchasing just a bag (my 18 is a little cramped for cold weather); I also advised them that there were a fair number of folks that would be interested in a larger bag (35-45 liters). They were receptive to both, but added they didn’t have a single Popup left (and hadn’t for awhile), they were more of a hit than they anticipated

prm

WKR
For about $35 you can get a 55L OR waterproof bag and load that on the shelf. Then remove for hunting and just use bag. That’s what I’m doing with my Mule.